IGNORED

Leave it out?..........Kick it Out

maxjak

Don't get me wrong?..........."Kick it Out" are an excellent organisation, who do a lot of outstanding work.   But come on guy's, wanting the FA to punish Bernardo Silva for having a laugh and a joke with his best mate Benjamin Mendy, is taking PC just too far IMHO.  For example, if a black player compared his white team- mate to Popeye on a tweet, nothing would be heard of it...........but `Kick it Out" are just trying to  find problems where they don't even begin to exist, please utilise yout time more constructively, by dealing with the real worrying prejudice's that are taking place, and try to retain a sense of humour if you can, as I believe your reaction to this Tweet between two buddies reflects poorly upon you?  And by drawing attention to it,  begins to undermine your credibility.

43 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Don't get me wrong?..........."Kick it Out" are an excellent organisation, who do a lot of outstanding work.   But come on guy's, wanting the FA to punish Bernardo Silva for having a laugh and a joke with his best mate Benjamin Mendy, is taking PC just too far IMHO.  For example, if a black player compared his white team- mate to Popeye on a tweet, nothing would be heard of it...........but `Kick it Out" are just trying to  find problems where they don't even begin to exist, please utilise yout time more constructively, by dealing with the real worrying prejudice's that are taking place, and try to retain a sense of humour if you can, as I believe your reaction to this Tweet between two buddies reflects poorly upon you?  And by drawing attention to it,  begins to undermine your credibility.

Should have kept it private. If you tell a racist joke to a black friend privately then that’s your business. If you shout a racist joke to your friend in the middle of a huge crowd then it’s not. 

Whether Mendy was okay with it or not is totally irrelevant 

Tin hat on as I know I’m in the minority here

Totally agree. It should all come down to whether Mendy was offended by it. The answer to that is a categorical no. 

But you can guarantee someone, somewhere would have been offended by it, which is probably why they feel obliged to act.

I'm sure he's learnt from this to maybe keep these sort of things in a private message/group chat or whatever, rather than on a public social media platform where everyone always gets so horrified on other people's behalf, and that should be the end of the matter IMO.

What if a kid in the playground calls another kid Conguito, due to the tweet. That kid may not want to be called Conguito and treated different due to their colour.

They can then say "well Silva said it to Mendy", and how can you explain it's still wrong.

when you see people on twitter comparing it to Sterling calling Zinchenko the milky bar kid you know that they are so far away from seeing why it is racist there seems little point in trying to explain. 

Comparing a black person to a black cartoon character is not the same as comparing a white person to a white carton character. 

There was a good piece in The Times today which discussed the racist origins of that particular logo from the 1960s. I appreciate that is a long time ago but people have long memories and certainly there could be many people out there offended by comparing someone to that logo. There is a very recent and very dark colonial past which is heavily associated with that logo. White people might not think about historical global abuse of black people whenever something like this comes up but that's not to say it won't cause great offence to people to whom it is still a very difficult subject. 

As said above why do this sort of thing in public on twitter. Whether anyone likes it or not putting that sort of thing to a wide audience as a high profile individual immediately means your comments are treated differently to a couple of people talking to each other in private.

Kids idolise footballers and these sorts of comments are not helpful when it comes to raising a new generation who are completely open minded with regards to race and do not in any way stereotype people due to or make generalisations about people because of their race or for that matter any aspect of their personality which they would not like to be held against them in any way.

I listened to an interview with B.Silva recently (BBC?) and he seemed like a humble, intelligent and generally nice guy, and someone who is hugely popular in the Man City dressing room. 

That said, he has got this one wrong, and whilst don't think he deserves to be punished, there could be scope for him to sit down with Kick it Out and at least learn an alternate perspective on why what he did would be seen as offensive. 

I'm sure Mendy doesn't care, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't care, but when you're a world class footballer, playing in the most visible league in the world, with 600k twitter followers, there is always going to be potential to offend if you're transmitting jokes about race across the world. 

Football is a product digested in every conrer of the globe, and if you're a willing part of that vehicle (I'm sure B.Silva is more than happy with his advertising contracts, bumper pay packets etc.) I think there should be a little bit of a remit on you to treat those who fund your unbelievebly priviliged lifestyle in a fair and decent manner. This does include at least acknowledging that two pretty crude jokes about skin colour might perpetuate piss taking that some people of colour are probably pretty sick and tired of hearing. 

It'd be great if instead of B.Silva getting pelters from sanctimonious liberals. and Kick it Out getting pelters from 'the world's gone PC mad' dullards, the two could actually get together, talk it out and do something constructive. End result, both reputations are improved, B.Silva may learn a thing or two, and the world is a little less angry! (This will never happen though)

6 minutes ago, Keep the Faith said:

There was a good piece in The Times today which discussed the racist origins of that particular logo from the 1960s. I appreciate that is a long time ago but people have long memories and certainly there could be many people out there offended by comparing someone to that logo. There is a very recent and very dark colonial past which is heavily associated with that logo. White people might not think about historical global abuse of black people whenever something like this comes up but that's not to say it won't cause great offence to people to whom it is still a very difficult subject. 

As said above why do this sort of thing in public on twitter. Whether anyone likes it or not putting that sort of thing to a wide audience as a high profile individual immediately means your comments are treated differently to a couple of people talking to each other in private.

Kids idolise footballers and these sorts of comments are not helpful when it comes to raising a new generation who are completely open minded with regards to race and do not in any way stereotype people due to or make generalisations about people because of their race or for that matter any aspect of their personality which they would not like to be held against them in any way.

Superb post.  Pleased to see that this thread has started so level headedly (appreciate that isn’t a word!)

I think spending so much time on social media wears one down on certain subjects and I always expect the worst

Thanks to you and @underhanded 

15 minutes ago, Selred said:

What if a kid in the playground calls another kid Conguito, due to the tweet. That kid may not want to be called Conguito and treated different due to their colour.

They can then say "well Silva said it to Mendy", and how can you explain it's still wrong.

I think this is precisely the point. 

Bernardo Silva seems like a very nice guy, and I'm absolutely sure that no offence was intended by him and Mendy wasn't offended in the slightest, but the fact is that Silva has over 600k followers on Twitter, and a lot of them will be young and impressionable, and as a public figure I think he has a responsibility not to 'normalise' racist terms like this (and let's not pretend that the logo in question isn't undoubtably racist!).

28 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Should have kept it private. If you tell a racist joke to a black friend privately then that’s your business. If you shout a racist joke to your friend in the middle of a huge crowd then it’s not. 

Whether Mendy was okay with it or not is totally irrelevant 

Tin hat on as I know I’m in the minority here

Its is relevant. Context is relevant, it has to be. It was a joke between friends. The recipient liked the joke. There is no racism, its affection.

Outside the interaction people are offended. People want to now harm the reputation of an individual for? Nothing. Have a think about that mindset. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Its is relevant. Context is relevant, it has to be. It was a joke between friends. The recipient liked the joke. There is no racism, its affection.

Outside the interaction people are offended. People want to now harm the reputation of an individual for? Nothing. Have a think about that mindset. 

I will if you read some of the above posts as to why it is racist and consider them. 

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

As you said context is relevant - and you've left out a bit of context! 

This wasn't a joke between friends, it was a a joke between B.Silva, B.Mendy and at least 600,000 other people.

Making any reference to someone by using a character that has massive links to colonialism is always going to get you in trouble, and quite rightly. If he had called him a “Golliwog” instead would it have still been PC gone mad? I think not, and if you look into the origins of the “Conguito” character you will realise that it is exactly the same case. 

I have no doubts that Bernardo Silva did not mean to cause any offence and perhaps did not realise the historical links that these characters have. A simple public apology backed up by Mendy supporting his friend (as he obviously knew there was no bad intention) would be perfectly acceptable and everyone can move on.

At the end of the day he is a public figure and it is all about raising public awareness of the past rather than being PC too far. 

29 minutes ago, RedDave said:

when you see people on twitter comparing it to Sterling calling Zinchenko the milky bar kid you know that they are so far away from seeing why it is racist there seems little point in trying to explain. 

Comparing a black person to a black cartoon character is not the same as comparing a white person to a white carton character. 

Ah, the speech/thought police are active today setting down today’s new benchmarks - which no doubt will change next year when the thought/word either becoming acceptable again to them.  Is ‘white’ or ‘non-coloured’ the term to use today?

Has there been a determination yet from the Liberal Elite whether the words/terms Brit, Pom, Limeys, Wurzel, small town in Wales  are good, bad or indifferent and whether I should be deeply offended or not? 

I need to be told by these precious petals who make a career of being offended on other people’s behalf. 

Bigger things to worry about in my in my mind like the human species trashing the world’s habitats and wiping out entire species at an accelerating rate.

Whatever rocks your boat though! 

19 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I will if you read some of the above posts as to why it is racist and consider them. 

I have read the posts.

The player does not consider himself to be superior to the recipient. There is no prejudice. The recipient liked the joke. This is not racism. 

That people want to place this in the racism box … Well this is wrong.

17 minutes ago, underhanded said:

As you said context is relevant - and you've left out a bit of context! 

This wasn't a joke between friends, it was a a joke between B.Silva, B.Mendy and at least 600,000 other people.

If you join a footballers feed to read footballers banter expect to read footballers banter. Don't want to .. Get off it.

So a young black kid follows Mendy on twitter because he's a big fan of his and wants to emulate him one day. He sees Silva make a post like this and it upsets him but he should just clear off his twitter because it's banter and if doesn't get it then too bad. 

A young white kid sees this and thinks its ok to say that to a kid at school who might not like the joke. It's ok though it's banter.

It's not even about whether this post is racist or being offended on someone's behalf. It is about considering that there are people out there who might not see it the same way as you do and it might well upset people.

It is about thinking for two minutes before posting something on twitter but i guess that's not how things work these days. Think it, post it, don't worry about the consequences. 

As people have said if it was a private WhatsApp chat there would be no issue, but Bernardo Silva obviously has no brain if he has tweeted that in the current climate around racism on Twitter.

The issue is, he has likened him to a cartoon which was created to imitate the stereotype of black people from the congo. The comments above about what if a white person was likened to Popeye or Zinchenko was said to look like the Milky Bar Kid - these are not stereotypes. They are cartoons which is saying Zinchenko has pale hair and looks young, not cartoons created to insult or belittle white people.

32 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

John barnes was given the nickname of a dallas character.

Are we okay to compare players to soap stars?

These 2 players are friends.

Comparing black people to black people is not racist.

Comparing black people to what is essentially a golliwog. Probably best keeping it between them.

Oh no, the social ill that trumps everything, it's back again. 

There are so many social problems surrounding all of us but they don't get a look in. 

If a player mentioned food banks or social care in a tweet most of you wouldn't be interested. Like most voters really.

4 hours ago, matalan12 said:

Well said. Couldn't agree more. Worlds gone mad., its gone way too far the other way now when we start trying to pick holes in things like this. As a charitable organisation, that people donate to, surely there time could be better spent.

I find it hard to accept that the actions of an organisation dedicated to stamping out racism in football, with the support of football authorities and players past and present, is a valid example of a ‘world gone mad’.

its interesting how quickly people jump to accuse anti-racist organisations of being ‘pc’ (an insulting term in itself).  I don’t see people so quick to condemn racism itself when it occurs within the game.

I am sorry if i appear in anway patronising (Apologist already?)  But the standard of debate instigated by the original post has given me much food for thought, and opened up aspects of the situation that i had not considered previously, the great contributions by all are impressive.and thought provoking

Archived