IGNORED

Leave it out?..........Kick it Out

maxjak

5 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Would i be right in thinking this congolese cartoon was made for congolese kids?

Im suprised we have so many congolese cartoon fans on here who have taken offence about 2 friends banter.

Oh tommy tommy, tommy tommy tommy tom and jerry!

What next supergran offends scottish people?

No, you wouldn't be right. It's a Spanish brand of chocolates that caricatures Congolese people.

I suggest you read the many reasoned arguments above as to why it's inappropriate. 

Thanks for telling me about this chcoclate problem.

Thankly this isnt our problem mr el, thats a spainish issue on your choice of words.

Anyone here with a brain would admit that.

You are way behind the times.

I was given the impression he was being compared to a cartoon character, not a bar of choclate.

Perhaps get your own house in order on certain words before you look for racism that isnt there.

5 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Thanks for telling me about this chcoclate problem.

Thankly this isnt our problem mr el, thats a spainish issue on your choice of words.

Anyone here with a brain would admit that.

You are way behind the times.

I was given the impression he was being compared to a cartoon character, not a bar of choclate.

Perhaps get your own house in order on certain words before you look for racism that isnt there.

The issue isn't that Silva was being racist, everybody on this thread has agreed that there was absolutely no intent to offend, and I've no doubt that Mendy took it in the light-hearted way it was intended. 

That doesn't however change the fact that as somebody with 600k followers, he has a responsibility not to normalise casual racism, such as comparing a black person to a racist caricature. 

I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make with the rest of your post :dunno:

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im making the point this silva isnt a racist.

Probaly worked with more anti racist charitys than anyone on this forum.

Hes friends with the player hes been accused of abusing.

Lets talk about the good silvas done for charity.

Not bunkum about cartoons and bars of choclate.

Why drag his name through the mud?

I agree with you. I don't believe he is racist and I don't think anybody is suggesting he is.

The simple point is that he shouldn't have used the language that he did in such a public way. It sets a bad example to impressionable people that look up to him, that such comprisons are okay. 

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im making the point this silva isnt a racist.

Probaly worked with more anti racist charitys than anyone on this forum.

Hes friends with the player hes been accused of abusing.

Lets talk about the good silvas done for charity.

Not bunkum about cartoons and bars of choclate.

Why drag his name through the mud?

a) no-one has said Silva is racist. Just that he was stupid to joke like that on such an open forum such as Twitter when racist abuse has been highlighted recently due to a lot of racist abuse towards players.

b) Does working with anti-racist charities means he can compare black people to a negative stereotype cartoon?

c) if he has done so much charity work, why didn't he tweet about that instead of that cartoon?

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Unless I’m having a serious whoosh you’re gonna need to explain this one. 

White people haven’t gone through decades and decades of racism and being classed as an inferior race. Or being compared to monkeys because of skin colour or many other things that have occurred in history.

A bit of sensitivity to that goes a long long way. 

6 hours ago, RedDave said:

Comparing a black person to a black cartoon character is not the same as comparing a white person to a white carton character. 

Yes it is? There is no difference in saying that my friend looks like Cleveland Brown from Family Guy because he's black, got a solid body frame and has a sort of afro and that my other friend looks like Peter Griffin because he's fat, has a big chin and is white.

There is an issue if I said my friend looks like the Portuguese cartoon characature of a black person because he is black which is what the problem with what Bernardo Silva has said.

4 minutes ago, Trueredsupporter said:

Reddave John Barnes was on sky and has basically told kick it out to get a grip of themselves and they are wrong on this one.

So what? Unless he speaks for all black people I don’t see the relevance 

7 minutes ago, grifty said:

Yes it is? There is no difference in saying that my friend looks like Cleveland Brown from Family Guy because he's black, got a solid body frame and has a sort of afro and that my other friend looks like Peter Griffin because he's fat, has a big chin and is white.

There is an issue if I said my friend looks like the Portuguese cartoon characature of a black person because he is black which is what the problem with what Bernardo Silva has said.

If that’s what you believe that’s fine. Agree to disagree 

54 minutes ago, Trueredsupporter said:

Reddave John Barnes was on sky and has basically told kick it out to get a grip of themselves and they are wrong on this one.

I saw it, and John Barnes was spot on. Skysports tried hard to make him look like he was in the wrong (talk about patronising). It's HIS opinion ffs, so well said JB for me.

Let's come down hard on racism when it IS RACISM please, and then I'm 100% with them.

Can’t remember Raheem Sterling ever saying Zinchenko looks like the Milky Bar kid tbh but he did make the Tweet below which imo is no different to Bernardo Silva’s. Agree Silva should of kept it private but it’s been blown way out of proportion and now the usual suspects screaming Racism. This world and especially the UK has gone PC mad, can’t say shit nowadays without causing offence to someone. 

00B81D32-9359-4FBF-B24C-A74C3AAD52CA.thumb.png.d6c663da4d99f8b07151731df375b7df.png

8 minutes ago, freezer said:

So the FA have deemed Silvas tweet to a fellow player and mate as 'racist', and are taking action against him. 

Is this a justifiable action by the FA or is it a case of looking for problems that aren't there? 

Well, rules is rules I suppose, but it seems daft to me. It's not exactly racist

45 minutes ago, freezer said:

So the FA have deemed Silvas tweet to a fellow player and mate as 'racist', and are taking action against him. 

Is this a justifiable action by the FA or is it a case of looking for problems that aren't there? 

I’d say the FA were under pressure to act. If the general agreement is that Silva was not being racist, backed up by teammates, the Manager and most importantly of all the RECIPIENT of the tweet himself then the situation could and should have been handled differently.

• Admin
46 minutes ago, freezer said:

It's a tricky one, because if I had sent the same tweet to the same person I am sure it would have been deemed racist.

Personally I think the player has to take responsibility for a very naive tweet that surely he released there would be (rightly or wrongly) backlash?

Bernardo Silva posted this image to his Twitter account which was later removed

This question is pure ignorance on my part, so any Portuguese members on here, please forgive me if I'm wide of the mark..   

Is this more a case of cultural ignorance in Portugal in general, rather than racism on behalf of the "perpetrator".  Many countries are still catching up with accepted views on racism, including many European countries.  Is Portugal one such country (genuinely I don't know, so an honest question) and therefore he's actually a victim of his upbringing in this situation, and rather than sanctioning he simply needs educating?  The general feeling on here seems to be that he wasn't being racist, but can completely understand how it can be seen as such - a point that I agree with. 

Thankfully, the world is beginning to move on on many topics, including racism, and more and more people are being educated and corrected on what is and isn't socially acceptable.  So whilst this will still garner headlines due to being in the digital age, the actual number of incidents will continue to drop compared to, say, 20 years ago, as society itself changes.

Racism is clearly a massively important issue and needs stamping out within football (an investigation into a Leeds players comment against Leko is being undertaken). No doubt about it, I totally get that.

So Silva gets charged in connection with a tweet that is accepted was not meant to be racist, was not taken as racist by the recipient, but could cause offence to people who know the history of the image used. I get that but still think it could have been dealt with differently. But the FA have made their decision and I can accept that.

However, what charges have the FA made against Mason Bennett, Tom Lawrence and Richard Keogh.......players behaving in widely accepted disgraceful behaviour that clearly brings the game into massive disrepute due to the fact it is against the law and could have literally resulted in the death of innocent people.

The FA tend to move very slowly @Numero Uno let's not forget this- so do the EFL in fact in general terms!

I remember without going into widening the debate the Millwall-Everton chants in January- took the FA 6 months to punish Millwall- or could that be 'punish'- £10,000 fine and action plan. They're not very good! Admittedly they need to hear mitigation, aggravation etc plus Millwall's good community work down the years- still, it took them nearly a month even charge them!

Could easily get a charge for this by the FA but maybe waiting some while- the Derby 3 I mean!

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Racism is clearly a massively important issue and needs stamping out within football (an investigation into a Leeds players comment against Leko is being undertaken). No doubt about it, I totally get that.

So Silva gets charged in connection with a tweet that is accepted was not meant to be racist, was not taken as racist by the recipient, but could cause offence to people who know the history of the image used. I get that but still think it could have been dealt with differently. But the FA have made their decision and I can accept that.

However, what charges have the FA made against Mason Bennett, Tom Lawrence and Richard Keogh.......players behaving in widely accepted disgraceful behaviour that clearly brings the game into massive disrepute due to the fact it is against the law and could have literally resulted in the death of innocent people.

As it is a police case, do the FA not have to wait until a certain point in proceedings until they charge the Derby players?

Also I don’t believe Keogh has broken any law that I am aware of but I’m no expert so happy to be corrected on that 

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I may be wrong but I would imagine the FA/EFL will wait till after the results of any criminal investigation is known

• Admin
2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

As it is a police case, do the FA not have to wait until a certain point in proceedings until they charge the Derby players?

Also I don’t believe Keogh has broken any law that I am aware of but I’m no expert so happy to be corrected on that 

Guess that makes sense, but even so I am surprised Derby haven't suspended them pending an investigation?

Let's be honest they are band to rights with what they have done

As for Keogh, he is just guilty of being very naive and stupid

37 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I’d say the FA were under pressure to act. If the general agreement is that Silva was not being racist, backed up by teammates, the Manager and most importantly of all the RECIPIENT of the tweet himself then the situation could and should have been handled differently.

This is my biggest gripe with all of the PC nonsense (not just this topic). Why don't some of these governing bodies just come out and say "we will not be taking any action whatsoever about this incident, because frankly it is a waste of time and resources"? Not long ago a poster was taken down in the London Underground after one single complaint. I expect hundreds of thousands of people had walked past it and seen it for what it was, but one person makes a complaint and they crap themselves so remove it!! The World has gone mad and we are right at the front of the queue in the UK.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

You may be right in terms of a point in time at which charges can be made. We will see.

Keogh has not broken any law but by association with those who have, if found guilty of course (!!), and by not setting an example as Captain of his club and putting the whole fiasco to bed before it even started, has definitely brought the game into disrepute imo. I would throw the book at him as much as the other two players involved.

Archived