IGNORED

Irish players

Eddie Hitler

This crossed my mind when I looked up Paul Heffernan who is Irish in connection with strikers who are free agents (not a suggestion btw as he has hasn't played professionally for two years).

When it comes to non-English players we have had some brilliant Scots (Gerry Gow, Scott Murray and Paul Hartley spring to mind), some decent Welsh players (Mark Aizlewood, Lee Trundle) but nobody really stands out from Ireland, north or south.

I know Tommy Doc played for NI through ancestry and we have had youth players over the years including one promising one who we pulled out of signing after he decided to start throwing people into Torquay harbour but I struggle to name senior players. There was an attacking midfielder we signed from a Scottish club who was more of an impact substitution and I forget his name.

Am I missing somebody obvious or have we just not had the players for one reason or another?

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This crossed my mind when I looked up Paul Heffernan who is Irish in connection with strikers who are free agents (not a suggestion btw as he has hasn't played professionally for two years).

When it comes to non-English players we have had some brilliant Scots (Gerry Gow, Scott Murray and Paul Hartley spring to mind), some decent Welsh players (Mark Aizlewood, Lee Trundle) but nobody really stands out from Ireland, north or south.

I know Tommy Doc played for NI through ancestry and we have had youth players over the years including one promising one who we pulled out of signing after he decided to start throwing people into Torquay harbour but I struggle to name senior players. There was an attacking midfielder we signed from a Scottish club who was more of an impact substitution and I forget his name.

Am I missing somebody obvious or have we just not had the players for one reason or another?

We have had a couple, but as you say more from Scotland and Wales. I don't know if there is a historic reason, but in Dolman's book there is a chapter about Peter Doherty's period as Manager and how bringing in Irish players caused some division along sectarian lines in the dressing room. Maybe that has had an influence over the years?

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

We have had a couple, but as you say more from Scotland and Wales. I don't know if there is a historic reason, but in Dolman's book there is a chapter about Peter Doherty's period as Manager and how bringing in Irish players caused some division along sectarian lines in the dressing room. Maybe that has had an influence over the years?

I didn't know that but that can't have cast a shadow into the 90s surely?

1 minute ago, S.B. said:

Greg Cunningham's Irish I believe and he played a reasonable amount for us.

Yes, good call.

How can I have forgotten his excellent book running video!

3 minutes ago, S.B. said:

He is Irish from Galway, the best player in the Irish league is Jack Byrne at Shamrock Rovers who went through the Man City academy, he made his debut for the Republic last week coming on for O'Dowda and played a great cameo, wouldn't be surprised if he came to a Championship club in January 

44 minutes ago, S.B. said:

Isn't Derek Williams Irish, or of Irish descent? I know it seems unlikely with a surname that is more often associated with Welsh ancestry (and maybe I'm having a senior moment here), but I seem to recall him being considered for Irish representative honours at some level at one early stage in his career. Perhaps I'm confusing him with someone else: I'm sure someone will correct me.

The other name that will mean something to old gits like me is Tommy Casey, who in the terminology of the day played left half (i.e. no. 6, for all you post-baby boom youngsters). He was an Irish international and a very classy player at City's (then) level.* He came once to my old school to do a bit of coaching and I still remember it. Lovely bloke and I learned more in about an hour then I did in all the rest of my school sports sessions.

*Edit: this was late 50s/early 60s. 

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Derek Williams, Irish international, though born in Germany.

You pipped me by a matter of seconds, Major.

17 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Isn't Derek Williams Irish, or of Irish descent? I know it seems unlikely with a surname that is more often associated with Welsh ancestry (and maybe I'm having a senior moment here), but I seem to recall him being considered for Irish representative honours at some level at one early stage in his career. Perhaps I'm confusing him with someone else: I'm sure someone will correct me.

The other name that will mean something to old gits like me is Tommy Casey, who in the terminology of the day played left half (i.e. no. 6, for all you post-baby boom youngsters). He was an Irish international and a very classy player at City's (then) level.* He came once to my old school to do a bit of coaching and I still remember it. Lovely bloke and I learned more in about an hour then I did in all the rest of my school sports sessions.

*Edit: this was late 50s/early 60s. 

You pipped me by a matter of seconds, Major.

Ace pipper I am.

50 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

A bit of trivia here, Dermot Curtis played for City and scored in a 1-1 draw for Ireland against England in 1958 in a game where Atyeo scored for England, 

Good bit of trivia this. Have there  been many international matches where two City players played against each other?  There probably are a few, but not many, as our list of international players is quite small. 

42 minutes ago, Robin Goch said:

Andy Smith? That was 2007 but seems so long ago.

Thanks Robin. 

Andy, that's him. Can't believe I've lost 10 years! Wow! Only 2007.

Always felt sorry for him. He was energetic but despite playing for a few English clubs, he never scored a goal.

Archived