IGNORED

Irish players

Eddie Hitler

3 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Isn't Derek Williams Irish, or of Irish descent? I know it seems unlikely with a surname that is more often associated with Welsh ancestry (and maybe I'm having a senior moment here), but I seem to recall him being considered for Irish representative honours at some level at one early stage in his career. Perhaps I'm confusing him with someone else: I'm sure someone will correct me.

The other name that will mean something to old gits like me is Tommy Casey, who in the terminology of the day played left half (i.e. no. 6, for all you post-baby boom youngsters). He was an Irish international and a very classy player at City's (then) level.* He came once to my old school to do a bit of coaching and I still remember it. Lovely bloke and I learned more in about an hour then I did in all the rest of my school sports sessions.

*Edit: this was late 50s/early 60s. 

You pipped me by a matter of seconds, Major.

Pipped me to it with "straight backed" Tommy Casey. I loved the commanding style of running with the ball due to his upright stance. Hard as nails as well.

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This crossed my mind when I looked up Paul Heffernan who is Irish in connection with strikers who are free agents (not a suggestion btw as he has hasn't played professionally for two years).

When it comes to non-English players we have had some brilliant Scots (Gerry Gow, Scott Murray and Paul Hartley spring to mind), some decent Welsh players (Mark Aizlewood, Lee Trundle) but nobody really stands out from Ireland, north or south.

I know Tommy Doc played for NI through ancestry and we have had youth players over the years including one promising one who we pulled out of signing after he decided to start throwing people into Torquay harbour but I struggle to name senior players. There was an attacking midfielder we signed from a Scottish club who was more of an impact substitution and I forget his name.

Am I missing somebody obvious or have we just not had the players for one reason or another?

Didn’t know trundle was welsh.

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

John Burns who arrived from Forest as part of the Jim Brennan deal. At the time, Tony P***s heralded him as the next Roy Keane. 

He wasn’t. 

All the puns about Barry Corr and John Burns is/was actually in a band and released music c2010

I remember going to see a tribute band in Stratford-upon-Avon a few years ago and saw they were due to play the same place, interesting career change!

28 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Didn’t know trundle was welsh.

You are correct as I pointed out earlier, he is from Liverpool. He is as English as Bobby Moore. He made his name with Welsh football teams as an Englishman playing for them, just as Billy Meredith and Ryan Giggs were Welshmen who made their name playing for English clubs...but doesn't make them English just as with Trundle it doesn't make him Welsh.

2 hours ago, solihull cider red said:

All the puns about Barry Corr and John Burns is/was actually in a band and released music c2010

I remember going to see a tribute band in Stratford-upon-Avon a few years ago and saw they were due to play the same place, interesting career change!

I hope he was a better pop star than he was a footballer!?

On 25/09/2019 at 13:27, stortfordred said:

‘We all dream of a team of Ivan Sproules.....

and number one is Ivan Sproule’ etc

Love it. 

Didn't he score a hat-trick for Hibs against Rangers before joining us? One of the quickest wingers I've ever seen in a City shirt, after Junior Bent of course.

Archived