Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
JonDolman

James Morton new 4 year contract + 1

MORTON COMMITS FUTURE TO CITY

Young midfielder James Morton has pledged his future to Bristol City, having signed a four-year deal, with the option of a further 12 months.

The midfielder will continue his development at Forest Green Rovers this season, who sit in fifth position in Sky Bet League Two.

Morton has made 10 appearances in his first two months, grabbing three assists and three man of the match awards.

The 20-year-old spent the 2018/19 season on loan at Bath, where he scored one goal and notched 12 assists in 50 appearances, en route to helping the Romans reach the Vanarama South play-offs.

City Chief Executive Officer Mark Ashton said: “To secure James’ services for another four, potentially five years, is a big statement. He is a very talented young player who has so much potential and I know he is very highly thought of.

“He is a fine example of the incredibly talented youth players we have within our ranks and he is part of a very exciting future at this football club.”

Also I recommend watching the Mark Ashton interview on the website. Very interesting. He comments on Morton signing the deal on the interview. And he says many interesting things about the transfer window and other things.

I have seen a fair bit of Morton, and he really is a great prospect. Such a good passer of the ball, and improving all the time.

Club has option of 12 months too, which makes it like a 5 year deal. That shows what the club think of him.

MORTON'S FIRST-TEAM DREAM

James Morton is determined to continue working hard as he sets his sights on developing into a future first team player at Bristol City.

The 20-year-old central midfielder has agreed a new four-year deal, with the option of a further 12 months, as he commits his future to 2023 at the earliest.

“I’m really happy and over the moon to get it done,” Morton said.

“I feel like it’s well-earned and it took a lot of hard work to get here and I know I’ve got so much more work to do.”

Morton is currently out on loan at Sky Bet League Two side Forest Green Rovers as he continues his development. It’s his first league loan, following a successful 2019/20 campaign at Bath City.

He said: “I’ve been on loan at Bath City before, that’s helped me adapt to men’s football and I’m grateful to Jerry Gill there.

“I’m now on loan at Forest Green Rovers with Mark Cooper and he’s given me the ability and the minutes to show what I can do and I’m very grateful for that.

“The loans have been so good. I’ve obviously played at Bath City but playing in League Two now is a whole new level, it’s up a notch in all areas – it’s so much more professional. The lads, the manager, the coaching is up a notch, I’m learning a lot and long may that continue.

“Brian Tinnion and Lee Johnson are always in contact, telling me to let them know if I need anything. That shows how much they want to help you individually and it gives you that connection with the club even though you’re out on loan.

“There’s also a loans physio so you definitely feel part of the club even though you’re not here on a daily basis.”

Morton is also thankful to his Robins head coach, who he hopes to one day play for.

“I’m also grateful to Lee Johnson to have given me this contract and I hope one day I will be able to help him on the first team stage.

“I support this club, I love this club and if I can feature for the first team one day, I’d take my arm and leg off for it.”

The way he strikes the ball reminds me of Eliasson; not that they're similar players (different positions for a start), but just the way he strikes a ball is like a top level player

• Like 1

Shows the faith as the original contract will take him beyond normal eligibility for being part of the U23's squad if he's here for all of it

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Left footed but just as comfortable with right foot.

I like how he seems to pass a ball that considers how the receiving player will want it. Hard "skipping" passes can be hard to control, but he hits ball into the players feet or into their path. Some of those longer passes appear to have back spin on them too, meaning the ball holds up instead of running away from someone running on to it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

“I support this club, I love this club and if I can feature for the first team one day, I’d take my arm and leg off for it.”

..another one for treatment table then! 😉

Don't know anything about the lad, but a four year deal suggests he's decent.  Hope to see him in the coming years. 

Edit:. Just watched the clips on Tinman's Twitter.   Very impressive distribution.  Comparison with Eliasson someone made is a good one.   His passes are accurate and dip late to drop exactly at a team mate even in tight areas.    

Edited by RedSkin

Saw this lad play for forest green v Colchester a couple of weeks ago. Tinnion  was up there watching as well as we saw him coming away afterwards. Looks a player. One of forest greens best players on the day. They play some tidy football under mark cooper so a good choice of club for his development. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Exciting prospect and I can see him linking up well with Louis Britton in a couple of years time. 

Have you seen much of Britton? I've only seen a few clips and his finishing looks outrageously good. Any idea on the rest of his game?

26 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Have you seen much of Britton? I've only seen a few clips and his finishing looks outrageously good. Any idea on the rest of his game?

Not seen a lot but looks a great finisher in the box and strong on the ball. 

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 19:53, JonDolman said:

MORTON COMMITS FUTURE TO CITY

Young midfielder James Morton has pledged his future to Bristol City, having signed a four-year deal, with the option of a further 12 months.

The midfielder will continue his development at Forest Green Rovers this season, who sit in fifth position in Sky Bet League Two.

Morton has made 10 appearances in his first two months, grabbing three assists and three man of the match awards.

The 20-year-old spent the 2018/19 season on loan at Bath, where he scored one goal and notched 12 assists in 50 appearances, en route to helping the Romans reach the Vanarama South play-offs.

City Chief Executive Officer Mark Ashton said: “To secure James’ services for another four, potentially five years, is a big statement. He is a very talented young player who has so much potential and I know he is very highly thought of.

“He is a fine example of the incredibly talented youth players we have within our ranks and he is part of a very exciting future at this football club.”

Also I recommend watching the Mark Ashton interview on the website. Very interesting. He comments on Morton signing the deal on the interview. And he says many interesting things about the transfer window and other things.

I have seen a fair bit of Morton, and he really is a great prospect. Such a good passer of the ball, and improving all the time.

Club has option of 12 months too, which makes it like a 5 year deal. That shows what the club think of him.

Cant help feeling at 20 shouldn't he already be good enough for first team football at city? I mean he's 2 years older than massengo.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, pillred said:

Cant help feeling at 20 shouldn't he already be good enough for first team football at city? I mean he's 2 years older than massengo.

If we’re going to compare every player to Massengo, and use him as the yardstick to say a player should be ready at x age, we’d just as well close the whole youth system down

• Like 3

It’s not a name I’ve ever heard, certainly will be looking out for him now. A 4 year deal is a hefty commitment from both sides. Great to hear that we are investing in the future once again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Everyone develops at different rates. At 16 most here knew of George Dowling and never heard of Morton. At 20, Dowling is no longer at the club or even a professional footballer at the moment and Morton has just signed a 5 year deal. 

Massengo is a world class prospect and utterly baffling how we signed him. Can’t compare any of our academy with him. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Everyone develops at different rates. At 16 most here knew of George Dowling and never heard of Morton. At 20, Dowling is no longer at the club or even a professional footballer at the moment and Morton has just signed a 5 year deal. 

Massengo is a world class prospect and utterly baffling how we signed him. Can’t compare any of our academy with him. 

Harsh on Semenyo.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

When you see youtube clips of an 18 year old (might’ve been 17 at the time) looking more than adequate in a CL game for a club like Monaco, you can pretty much expect him to be good enough for us...assuming he can deal with the environment of the Championship.  Yes, how we got him is a mystery, although there are possible links;

• Emanalo who we dealt with at Chelsea for Tammy loan, was sporting director at Monaco
  • he played against our u18s last year
  • Macca was on coaching badges course in France with Kolo Toure who has same agent, mates with Henry who gave him his debut

Going back to Tammy, I was a bit worried from his YouTube clips as to whether he’d be strong enough / mature enough physically to handle champ footie, but those 23 minutes as a sub v Wigan were an eye-opener in terms of what he had.  He just did things I hadn’t seen our other strikers do.

As 18 year olds, Tammy and Han-Noah are not your average academy products!

Interesting that the next season Barnsley tried to recreate our approach with Ike Ugbo. He’s still ploughing the loan field, having been at Mk Dons and Scunny, he might just be finding his feet in Dutch football for Roda.  Now 21!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Harsh on Semenyo.

I know what's happening here... you and Antoine are going to announce a podcast together!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Seems a good lad - certainly comes over as more mature, focused and sensible than I was at 20/21!

Obviously very much a genuine City supporter too, who is just as keen to play for the Bristol City first team as any of us would be.

From the highlights video there seems little doubt that day will come and perhaps not too far into the future.

Good luck to him.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Seems a good lad - certainly comes over as more mature, focused and sensible than I was at 20/21!

Obviously very much a genuine City supporter too, who is just as keen to play for the Bristol City first team as any of us would be.

From the highlights video there seems little doubt that day will come and perhaps not too far into the future.

Good luck to him.

Had the same thoughts mate

Tbf I know nothing of him but he seems a real good lad in that short interview and clearly somebody the club rate with the contract offered

Good news all round and pleased for the lad, hope he does really well

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Tbf I know nothing of him but he seems a real good lad in that short interview and clearly somebody the club rate with the contract offered

He only signed a 2 year extension back in a June (when FGR loan arranged), so he’s obviously impressed during his loan, that we want to (I) recognise his development and (II) protect ourselves.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As my mother-in-law is wont to say, 'a very impressive young man' though funnily enough she never said it about me! :laughcont:

The vision on that left peg is outstanding - obviously very Tinnionesque - having barely heard of him before I'm now actually looking forward to young Morton making his City debut.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As my mother-in-law is wont to say, 'a very impressive young man' though funnily enough she never said it about me! :laughcont:

The vision on that left peg is outstanding - obviously very Tinnionesque - having barely heard of him before I'm now actually looking forward to young Morton making his City debut.

City have had good things from “Morton” in the past 👀

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Also nice to hear an academy player talk passionately about their support for City. 

Not many of our youngsters are true City fans.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

City have had good things from “Morton” in the past 👀

Gerry Sweeney and Donnie Gillies for a start.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Gerry Sweeney and Donnie Gillies for a start.

Plus Joe Jordan, although more protracted in his case - he had to go to a few duff clubs inbetween before he found his true home at BCFC. ;):whistle2:

• Like 2

James used to play at youth level with a family member of mine so I’ve watched him quite a bit a few years ago. Seems like he plays now like he did then. Strolls through games, Unflustered. Classic old school play maker, technically very good & great vision. Reminds me of Paul Hartley. 

No idea on his current defensive traits and/or if he has an engine to go with his obvious talent but someone to keep an eye on for sure. A nice polite young lad & City fan. His dad Haydn is a scout for BCFC. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1