IGNORED

Mark Ashton

Red Army 75

Great interview, sure it's a bit if an easy ride right now for MA when things are progressing nicely

Just get a warm feeling that I'm not used to having when hearing this kind of stuff about City. The long off days if jobs for the boys is gone. This is a proper football club doing things properly. I suspect we are ahead of the game compared to many in the Championship

Would never have dreamed of writing that 5 years ago

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

How are you defining top drawer striker? I struggle to think of a Championship side that has 3 of them.

Depending on your definition, signing 3 might take £50-60m, assuming we could persuade players of that kind to sign and could afford their wages.

For instance the total fees paid for Maupay, McBurnie and Adams in the summer was £55m.

Getting one of that calibre is tough, getting 3 unlikely to say the least.

Not saying all three in one window, although that would have been handy this Summer. 

Two would have been ideal. We could have made do with Fammy or Andy as the third - neither though really ticking the boxes for the type of striker our play demands and neither having the potential for Premier League.

The youngsters ain’t ready yet in my opinion and should have been with an upper League 1 side this season.  

Could be argued that Benik filled one of the slots, leaving us with a need for one more striker. If he has a history of ACL troubles Benik was high risk though.

Our approach to gamble with strikers is one we’ve tried for numerous seasons. Time for a change in strategy with our front-line transfer business. 

• Admin
14 hours ago, RedRock said:

Not saying all three in one window, although that would have been handy this Summer. 

Two would have been ideal. We could have made do with Fammy or Andy as the third - neither though really ticking the boxes for the type of striker our play demands and neither having the potential for Premier League.

The youngsters ain’t ready yet in my opinion and should have been with an upper League 1 side this season.  

Could be argued that Benik filled one of the slots, leaving us with a need for one more striker. If he has a history of ACL troubles Benik was high risk though.

Our approach to gamble with strikers is one we’ve tried for numerous seasons. Time for a change in strategy with our front-line transfer business. 

Semenyo in particular was kept because of this season’s home grown rule. (At least I think it came in this season)

On 26/09/2019 at 09:57, RedRock said:

As a previous arch-critic, got to say I’m beginning to warm to the chap.

Just seems though we have this continual blind spot over the need for three top-drawer strikers to mount and sustain a promotion push in this division. If we had three in now,  we’d be odds-on for a promotion spot. This ‘make do and mend’ approach to our front line just ain’t good enough if we’re serious over a challenge. 

Yet another January window striker hunt, despite MAs fine words, given our woeful track record and inflated prices does not bode well for our chances.

Deluded.

We are Bristol City. With average crowd's and we've never been in the prem.

Theres no way we could bring in 3 strikers like you suggest. Like chinapig says, that would cost over 40m

Its not what we need either. Afobe was the striker we needed.

Isn’t the point though that we *haven’t* gambled? Strikers of the type you are wanting are £20m + at the moment. Splashing that kind of money out would be the gamble. 

Whilst this was  an interesting piece, I do not (and probably will not ever) trust MA. He has a habit of being a media darling when we are at the top of the league, and then going missing in suspicious circumstances when things are looking bleak. Think he's one who's happy to take the praise, but can't take the flak (imo). 

19 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Great interview, sure it's a bit if an easy ride right now for MA when things are progressing nicely

Just get a warm feeling that I'm not used to having when hearing this kind of stuff about City. The long off days if jobs for the boys is gone. This is a proper football club doing things properly. I suspect we are ahead of the game compared to many in the Championship

Would never have dreamed of writing that 5 years ago

The incontinence pants are working then Woodsy!  :)

Completely agree with your comments. Doesn't seem that long ago that we were lurching from one disaster to another changing direction more often than a Derby player's car after a team building night and struggling to stay in league one.

As for us being ahead of the game compared to many in the championship, it made me smile to hear Mel Morris during the summer, espousing the benefits of developing young players to help them live within their financial means. This was of course with the backdrop of selling their stadium to cover ffp losses, losing loanees back from where they came, and prior to announcing the signing of Rooney!

It also mad me smile as he said it as though he was Moses coming down from the mountaintop with the 10 commandments, as if he was preaching a new way of thinking to the football world that he had come up with, conveniently forgetting that it had been forced upon them due to their previous profligacy and that l'il ol Bristol City have been operating that way for a few seasons now.

2 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Whilst this was  an interesting piece, I do not (and probably will not ever) trust MA. He has a habit of being a media darling when we are at the top of the league, and then going missing in suspicious circumstances when things are looking bleak. Think he's one who's happy to take the praise, but can't take the flak (imo). 

You’re entitled to your opinion but it could just be that when things are going badly he is working harder to put them right and doesn’t want fans jumping on his every word when he gives an interview.Which could  be divisive.

Whilst I find his interviews interesting I would prefer that he keeps his ideas to himself.

We don’t want to give away too much to the competition and I appreciate discretion .

Archived