Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Red Army 75

Mark Ashton

Good interview that. I'm certainly warming to our CEO and he seems to be far more 'in touch' than he used to be plus not too many 'buzz' words.

Thanks for posting. 

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Good interview that. I'm certainly warming to our CEO and he seems to be far more 'in touch' than he used to be plus not too many 'buzz' words.

Thanks for posting. 

Interesting use of the word 'quantum'.

I like the bloke.  The buzzwords don't bother me as he does his job well.  

• Like 5

MA was open and honest as I ever seen him - an excellent interview all round.

Its even more obvious why SL employed him as CEO.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

MA was open and honest as I ever seen him - an excellent interview all round.

Its even more obvious why SL employed him as CEO.

It's not just the players that need to have the right DNA.

Heard a discussion on the radio about Man U's plight and eventually the "blame"seemed to be directed at Woodward. The comment was made that while Woodward was commercially very successful for Man U - producing huge revenues - he is not a football man and this was borne out in the transfer business this summer.  

I think we are lucky in that MA is not only  proving commercially successful  for the club, but that he seems to understand the club and the football side of the business and  his relationship with the other key people in the club appears to be very strong. It could well be that MA is as integral to the club's success as is LJ.

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 5

Wonder what the exact purpose of our relationship with Man Utd is?

What I find amazing is the intricacies behind the scenes. Things I never considered was a loan physio and players returning occasionally to train with first team. Makes sense why we send the majority of our players to south western clubs.

Very lucky to have MA and LJ! Great work by the Lansdowns showing faith in these guys.

Edited by Kodjias Wrist
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Mark Ashton's next job? 

• Like 1
  • Unicorn 1

6 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

What I find amazing is the intricacies behind the scenes. Things I never considered was a loan physio and players returning occasionally to train with first team. Makes sense why we send the majority of our players to south western clubs.

Very lucky to have MA and LJ! Great work by the Lansdowns showing faith in these guys.

I was under the impression that City had a decent relationship with Man City rather than United largely on the fact that LJ worked closely with City when he was at Oldham. Today was the first I’ve heard of a relationship with Man United 

What the MA interview did as well was to show just how well run and professional the club has become. The days of well meaning amateurs running the club are long gone - thankfully. These days it’s run along highly professional lines and the benefits of this approach are beginning to show.

Imv its all down to one man - SL. His vision and business acumen to employ the right people in the right positions has been a stroke of genius.

Bristol City are sooo fortunate to have him as our owner.

• Like 15
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

We did almost take their young keeper on loan last season didn't we? 

I'm also surprised they wasn't in for Kelly, maybe they were but Bournemouth just came in super early, but Kelly seems to fit into what they are trying to do at United.

I don't want to sound like LJ or MA but this club has been in the dark ages for far too long, we employed people based on their association with Bristol City, rather than their ability to do the job, I'm thinking specifically of the old boys club here, Walsh etc.

If we can improve each department, day by day, keep making them incremental improvements then not only will we catch up with clubs that are not in the dark ages, we will over take them, as we have done with many ex Prem clubs already. 

As a fan as long as I can see our club making progress, however big or small then I am happy to enjoy the ride and see where we end up.

• Like 2

It's a positive interview.

The more insightful and informative the info shared by the Club, to the fan base, the better understanding they have of where we are heading...and how we are trying to achieve progress.

That leads to a more supportive fanbase and less over reactions.

Knowledge is power.

They don't need to give up 'secrets' but interviews like this benefit everyone.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, RedSkin said:

Interesting use of the word 'quantum'.

I like the bloke.  The buzzwords don't bother me as he does his job well.  

'Quantum' seems to be the new one but it wasn't too annoying.

He's clearly very good at his job so all power to the bloke and long may he reign. 

I do wonder if his role with the EFL might lead to his eventual departure but he's here so let's hope he carries on is good work.

• Like 1

As a previous arch-critic, got to say I’m beginning to warm to the chap.

Just seems though we have this continual blind spot over the need for three top-drawer strikers to mount and sustain a promotion push in this division. If we had three in now,  we’d be odds-on for a promotion spot. This ‘make do and mend’ approach to our front line just ain’t good enough if we’re serious over a challenge. 

Yet another January window striker hunt, despite MAs fine words, given our woeful track record and inflated prices does not bode well for our chances.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

“Naggy”

I was surprised by that. He said it twice.

I thought we had established that the correct pronunciation (in Hungarian) is Nagy

Edited by The Red Planet
Spelling

12 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

I was surprised by that. He said it twice.

I thought we had established that the correct pronunciation (in Hungarian) is Nagy

What is going on. Twice I have written Nagy and it has been changed to Nagy ! 

Edited by The Red Planet
Spelling
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

What is going on. Twice I have written Nagy and it has been changed to Nagy ! 

Nagy

1 minute ago, The Red Planet said:

Nagy

Trying one last time

N A D G E

Edited by The Red Planet
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Nagy

Trying one last time

N A D G E

It’s a special feature Invision have that corrects Robbored’s version of players’ names to their actual name.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
  • Unicorn 1

33 minutes ago, Ian M said:

It’s a special feature Invision have that corrects Robbored’s version of players’ names to their actual name.

Now I understand. It's like auto correct in text which drives me mad when it corrects something I have actually spelt correctly. 

Anyway, I finally got round it by spacing the letters of what I am sure is the correct pronunciation of this player's name. 

Surprised that MA got that wrong in what was otherwise an excellent (and very informative) interview on BCTV. 

Decent interview. I thought he sounded quite normal and not dodging anything.

This who we are, this is what we do and this is how we do it!

One aim, promotion!! For the first time you feel if we do go up it wont be a happy accident!!!

A very good interview. I must say I feel slightly more secure and reassured that the club does have ambitions and want to be promoted. Of course I thought that was always the aim as it should be, but after selling some prize assets I did wonder why the players that left didn’t feel they could wait a little longer and be promoted with us. I guess though they were only thinking about their personal gains, which of course is also understandable. Mark Ashton certainly seems dedicated and knows his job, and has a great relationship with Lee, Steve, Jon etc which can only be a good thing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Decent interview. I thought he sounded quite normal and not dodging anything

Well - I enjoyed it too- but he was never going to be asked anything too controversial really, was he! 

But yes, good content from the club and he has, at least in this interview, toned down the management speak 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Well - I enjoyed it too- but he was never going to be asked anything too controversial really, was he! 

But yes, good content from the club and he has, at least in this interview, toned down the management speak 

It was an opportunity to let us fans know how things worked out over the summer and that’s a refreshing change - as is the absence of his former corporate speak for which he’s been criticised for.......he obviously reads otib.............:cool2:

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was an opportunity to let us fans know how things worked out over the summer and that’s a refreshing change - as is the absence of his former corporate speak for which he’s been criticised for.......he obviously reads otib.............:cool2:

He mentioned the comprehensive data dashboard, that is used to plot all available info, there’s no no doubt in my mind that OTIB is a central part of that dashboard! 

I very much enjoyed the interview.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

True enough. About the easy ride. 

9 hours ago, RedRock said:

Just seems though we have this continual blind spot over the need for three top-drawer strikers to mount and sustain a promotion push in this division. If we had three in now,  we’d be odds-on for a promotion spot. This ‘make do and mend’ approach to our front line just ain’t good enough if we’re serious over a challenge. 

Yet another January window striker hunt, despite MAs fine words, given our woeful track record and inflated prices does not bode well for our chances.

How are you defining top drawer striker? I struggle to think of a Championship side that has 3 of them.

Depending on your definition, signing 3 might take £50-60m, assuming we could persuade players of that kind to sign and could afford their wages.

For instance the total fees paid for Maupay, McBurnie and Adams in the summer was £55m.

Getting one of that calibre is tough, getting 3 unlikely to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

How are you defining top drawer striker? I struggle to think of a Championship side that has 3 of them.

Depending on your definition, signing 3 might take £50-60m, assuming we could persuade players of that kind to sign and could afford their wages.

For instance the total fees paid for Maupay, McBurnie and Adams in the summer was £55m.

Semenyo, Janneh, and Semenyo.

• Haha 1

Great interview, sure it's a bit if an easy ride right now for MA when things are progressing nicely

Just get a warm feeling that I'm not used to having when hearing this kind of stuff about City. The long off days if jobs for the boys is gone. This is a proper football club doing things properly. I suspect we are ahead of the game compared to many in the Championship

Would never have dreamed of writing that 5 years ago

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Not saying all three in one window, although that would have been handy this Summer. 

Two would have been ideal. We could have made do with Fammy or Andy as the third - neither though really ticking the boxes for the type of striker our play demands and neither having the potential for Premier League.

The youngsters ain’t ready yet in my opinion and should have been with an upper League 1 side this season.  

Could be argued that Benik filled one of the slots, leaving us with a need for one more striker. If he has a history of ACL troubles Benik was high risk though.

Our approach to gamble with strikers is one we’ve tried for numerous seasons. Time for a change in strategy with our front-line transfer business. 

14 hours ago, RedRock said:

Not saying all three in one window, although that would have been handy this Summer. 

Two would have been ideal. We could have made do with Fammy or Andy as the third - neither though really ticking the boxes for the type of striker our play demands and neither having the potential for Premier League.

The youngsters ain’t ready yet in my opinion and should have been with an upper League 1 side this season.  

Could be argued that Benik filled one of the slots, leaving us with a need for one more striker. If he has a history of ACL troubles Benik was high risk though.

Our approach to gamble with strikers is one we’ve tried for numerous seasons. Time for a change in strategy with our front-line transfer business. 

Semenyo in particular was kept because of this season’s home grown rule. (At least I think it came in this season)

On 26/09/2019 at 09:57, RedRock said:

Deluded.

We are Bristol City. With average crowd's and we've never been in the prem.

Theres no way we could bring in 3 strikers like you suggest. Like chinapig says, that would cost over 40m

Its not what we need either. Afobe was the striker we needed.

• Like 2

Isn’t the point though that we *haven’t* gambled? Strikers of the type you are wanting are £20m + at the moment. Splashing that kind of money out would be the gamble. 

• Like 1

Afobe's injury has left all us gutted...

But can you imagine if we had spent 15m on him???

Its all well and good saying we should buy strikers. But they are costly and none of them are ever guaranteed to bring us success

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

Semenyo in particular was kept because of this season’s home grown rule. (At least I think it came in this season)

Came in for 18/19 season.  We had Max sorting that prob last season.

Han-Noah can solve it next season! 😉

Whilst this was  an interesting piece, I do not (and probably will not ever) trust MA. He has a habit of being a media darling when we are at the top of the league, and then going missing in suspicious circumstances when things are looking bleak. Think he's one who's happy to take the praise, but can't take the flak (imo). 

19 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Great interview, sure it's a bit if an easy ride right now for MA when things are progressing nicely

Just get a warm feeling that I'm not used to having when hearing this kind of stuff about City. The long off days if jobs for the boys is gone. This is a proper football club doing things properly. I suspect we are ahead of the game compared to many in the Championship

Would never have dreamed of writing that 5 years ago

The incontinence pants are working then Woodsy!  :)

Completely agree with your comments. Doesn't seem that long ago that we were lurching from one disaster to another changing direction more often than a Derby player's car after a team building night and struggling to stay in league one.

As for us being ahead of the game compared to many in the championship, it made me smile to hear Mel Morris during the summer, espousing the benefits of developing young players to help them live within their financial means. This was of course with the backdrop of selling their stadium to cover ffp losses, losing loanees back from where they came, and prior to announcing the signing of Rooney!

It also mad me smile as he said it as though he was Moses coming down from the mountaintop with the 10 commandments, as if he was preaching a new way of thinking to the football world that he had come up with, conveniently forgetting that it had been forced upon them due to their previous profligacy and that l'il ol Bristol City have been operating that way for a few seasons now.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Came in for 18/19 season.  We had Max sorting that prob last season.

Han-Noah can solve it next season! 😉

And Lloyd I guess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Whilst this was  an interesting piece, I do not (and probably will not ever) trust MA. He has a habit of being a media darling when we are at the top of the league, and then going missing in suspicious circumstances when things are looking bleak. Think he's one who's happy to take the praise, but can't take the flak (imo). 

You’re entitled to your opinion but it could just be that when things are going badly he is working harder to put them right and doesn’t want fans jumping on his every word when he gives an interview.Which could  be divisive.

Whilst I find his interviews interesting I would prefer that he keeps his ideas to himself.

We don’t want to give away too much to the competition and I appreciate discretion .