IGNORED

Derby County Drink Driving charges (merged topics)

WhistleHappy

Wow, to sack him whilst he wasn't the one driving whilst under the influence, whilst the other two get fined and community service, this reeks of something dodgy (not the first time that phrase has been used with Derby recently). 

Was Keogh holding a gun to their heads or something!!? 

Let's be honest though, Derby aren't going to sack either of the other two, as they are " too big an asset".

No sympathy for Keogh who deserves everything coming his way but for Derby to act like this, cutting the crocked whilst retaining those with value yet equally at fault, well that simply shows them again to be the utter scumbags they are. No wonder Keogh led them for 7 seasons. Once the full story emerges I hope the EFL clamps down on them in more ways than one.

5 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

With my distinct lack of any legal knowledge, I'd guess the derby argument will be - he's not going to be able to play for the remainder of his contract due to his own misconduct, therefore they are terminating his contract early. 

I don’t get where Derby’s statement about gross misconduct only applies to one of their players?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Very inconsistent approach to this whole ordeal.  Keogh, the scapegoat.  Hope he challenges their decision.

Especially when they themselves say this,

As we have said from the outset, the Club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute.’

We don't know the full facts but I guess the starting pointing for him would be a case for discrimination.

1) Presumably it’s accepted by all parties that Keogh was, along with the other two, in breach of contract (not that any of us know his contract).

2) Can Derby legally punish employees differently who are all in breach of contract in the same way? Yes, then bye bye Keogh. No, then he has a case to appeal.

3) Regardless of the morality of this decision, football is big business. The other two lads have a chance to repair the damage they’ve caused by performing well on the pitch, bringing success and being saleable assets. Keogh, on the other hand, essentially has a self-inflicted injury through his misconduct meaning he can’t actually do his job for the remainder of his contract and has zero market value. Therefore it’s understandable that derby would sack him and save £24k a week for the next 18 months.

What a bonkers industry football is. Money talks. Interesting how this plays out over the coming weeks.

Derby’s statement makes little sense as it is clear that the two drivers endangered others life’s whilst driving under the influence of alcohol.

And they have been found guilty of that offence in a court of law.

Surely they too should be sacked.

Legally they are on dodgy ground here.

As we have said from the outset, the Club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute.’

Looks clear to me that the other two should be sacked.

Within hours I had heard account of what had gone on courtesy of a local, many of whom are fed up with their decent boozer being ruined by the behaviour of some Derby players (sadly it seems money talks in the amount they throw across the bar.) Point being one doesn't have to be Sherlock to discover this wasn't a one-off or that there are other Derby and ex-Derby connections that the Police will probably wish to look into.  

36 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Derby’s statement makes little sense as it is clear that the two drivers endangered others life’s whilst driving under the influence of alcohol.

And they have been found guilty of that offence in a court of law.

Surely they too should be sacked.

Legally they are on dodgy ground here.

As we have said from the outset, the Club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute.’

Looks clear to me that the other two should be sacked.

Statement in full ( as it should have read!).

"As we have said from the outset, the Club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute. 

However, the degree to which we will not tolerate players behaving in such a manner will be directly proportional to a players financial value to the club, even if unequal punishment is given to different players, which in turn  brings the club even further into disrepute."

Don't see how Keogh has a leg to stand on. The idea that he has been treated unfairly doesn't wash with me. Regardless of whether he was driving or not his behaviour allowed himself, other players and the general public to be put at risk and brought Derby County FC into disrepute. As the senior professional present, and club captain, Derby had every right to expect him to show leadership and a responsible attitude both personally and to the younger professionals. He should not have allowed the situation to develop and taken action to prevent others driving while under the influence. What Derby decide to do in disciplining others involved is a matter for Derby and not us. 

5 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

They'll probably re-revalue their ground to pay their legal fees.

In exciting finantual news for Derby County FC Mel Morris has decided to sell his own stadium back to himself, he said "it's not quite what I wanted as I thought it was a different colour". 

He continues "I did check with the FA, but they were very busy combating racism with a major T-shirt and sticker campaign, even when I poked them with a stick." 

Morris (114 years old) was last seen arguing with himself outside Birmingham Bus station, although, that could have been a tramp.. 

Derby have been caught between a rock and a hard place.

Had Keogh got into his own car drunk, crashed and bust his knee I suspect that most football fans would applaud their decision to sack him for gross misconduct as they feel that rsh footballers think they can get away with anything.

Derby's problem is that the actions of Mount and Lawrence in the same incident makes it appear that their stance and action over Keogh is  motivated more by hard financial prudence that moral indignation.

Following on from Pride Park Gate it does not paint the club in the best moral light.

Archived