IGNORED

Derby County Drink Driving charges (merged topics)

WhistleHappy

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think Pep often bans alcohol- read it a few times, however maybe a glass of wine with dinner is alright yes. Beyond that, where I'm driving at is with the elite mentality point. I'm not suggesting that doing this will make us like Man City, far from it but I am suggesting that it would give us the best possible platform to succeed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

In principle yes, I suppose it could work but on another level, these professionals should be professional enough (especially with what they are being paid) to know what is acceptable & what isn’t?!? There is a vast difference for going out & having ‘a drink’ & then going out & getting so drunk that they don’t even know that they’ve left a friend / team mate behind in a crashed car!

I’m still finding it hard to believe that they were only found with the levels of alcohol in their blood that they were upon testing, which the sceptical side of me thinks that something underhand has also gone on! How is Bennett filmed throwing up in the toilets & a complete mess to being less than 3 times the limit? 
Even if I had been caught drink driving in my warehouse job as a youngster I would of been expecting the sack for gross misconduct, that was in my contract & I find it hard to believe that a professional footballer / sportsperson doesn’t have such a clause in their contract especially with the responsibility their job carries, all I had to do was walk around a warehouse & put packages into their relevant position, no one was looking up to me!

On the Rooney FFP issue, basically the whole wages will be counted towards FFP but the enhanced sponsorship deal from 32Red off the back of it will cover a fair chunk IIRC.

32Red sponsor a number of Championship clubs...others happy about this? Very much doubt it!

They sponsor Leeds, Middlesbrough and Preston as well I believe. Aston Villa and Rangers too last season, but neither of those 2 have any claim to the high ground!

6 hours ago, phantom said:

So, the club says it will not tolerate any of its players or staff acting in a manner that puts themselves, their colleagues or members of the general public at risk of injury or worse. Or brings the club into disrepute. 

Keogh put himself at risk and brought the club into disrepute and is sacked. 

Lawrence and Bennett managed a full house but continue in Derby's employ! 

Think Derby need to review that statement. 

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On the Rooney FFP issue, basically the whole wages will be counted towards FFP but the enhanced sponsorship deal from 32Red off the back of it will cover a fair chunk IIRC.

32Red sponsor a number of Championship clubs...others happy about this? Very much doubt it!

They sponsor Leeds, Middlesbrough and Preston as well I believe. Aston Villa and Rangers too last season, but neither of those 2 have any claim to the high ground!

No that’s not correct Mr P.  As a player coach 50% of his wages do not count towards FFP.  Nothing to do with 32Red, that’s a sponsorship deal (albeit hugely linked to Rooney) but treated like any other sponsorship income.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No that’s not correct Mr P.  As a player coach 50% of his wages do not count towards FFP.  Nothing to do with 32Red, that’s a sponsorship deal (albeit hugely linked to Rooney) but treated like any other sponsorship income.

Pretty sure they got an enhanced sponsorship deal off the back of it, Dave?

From what I've read, the 50% thing is applicable to Leagues One and Two but not the Championship.

Not like the sponsor are paying him direct but definitely an enhancement- standard commercial income yes.

Mike Thornton is usually pretty good on these things- seems to think wages would count in full.

From a BBC Article too.

"Rooney's entire wages will count towards the club's Financial Fair Play (FFP) calculations despite him moving to Pride Park as a player-coach, as there is no 50% split on wages for such dual roles at that level - unlike in League One and League Two."

Personal view is that it's unclear.

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pretty sure they got an enhanced sponsorship deal off the back of it, Dave?

From what I've read, the 50% thing is applicable to Leagues One and Two but not the Championship.

Not like the sponsor are paying him direct but definitely an enhancement- standard commercial income yes.

Mike Thornton is usually pretty good on these things- seems to think wages would count in full.

From a BBC Article too.

Personal view is that it's unclear.

Thanks Mr P. I hadn’t seen that. Imho that is fair, if perhaps not conventional!

Good that his wages count in full.

Red32 increasing sponsorship off the back of it. 

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is of course the obvious FFP angle.

Not just from writing off the cost of sacking Lawrence- Bennett academy product so I'm not so sure how that works under residual value model.

Keogh though- I believe that Derby wouid have to apply to the EFL for any legal costs associated with this case to be exempt from FFP and the EFL would have a decision to make. I'd suggest that what should happen with that would be that legal fees excluded, but any compensation payout would be part of the calculations as it's football related. Whereas their litigation against Sam Rush in 2017, there's a good argument to exclude all of those costs as he wasn't a player or similar.

That was my interpretation from early and seems to be Kieran Maguire's at this stage too- the Keogh bit, no idea what he thinks of the Sam Rush cost breakdown.

On the subject of Sam Rush, this came out during media reports at the time.

It would seem that MM and RK have some history: 

'Mr Morris is said to have had a "hands-on" role at the club - in one case banning former manager Paul Clement from making centre half Richard Keogh the team captain.'

His appeal against his sacking has been rejected!

Admittedly, he has to appeal to the club in the first instance so that's as expected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/50591047

Now it's up before the EFL- that could be interesting, especially given Derby are very much in their bad books or those of other clubs given some of their recent antics...

This section is interesting.

Keogh, who has the Professional Footballers' Association support, can next take his case before the EFL.

The English Football League's investigation and disciplinary proceedings will allow the the Republic of Ireland international to file a complaint against the club.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they have some quite harsh penalties at their disposal under these- or is that just for FFP?

Certainly would be disappointed if the EFL just accepted an application to have any compensation payout allocated as legal costs and therefore exempt from FFP and they ticked a box without seriously scrutinising, analysing and if appropriate, challenging the issue.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-8---offences-inquiries-commissions-disputes-and-appeals/

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

His appeal against his sacking has been rejected!

Admittedly, he has to appeal to the club in the first instance so that's as expected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/50591047

Now it's up before the EFL- that could be interesting, especially given Derby are very much in their bad books or those of other clubs given some of their recent antics...

This section is interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they have some quite harsh penalties at their disposal under these- or is that just for FFP?

Certainly would be disappointed if the EFL just accepted an application to have any compensation payout allocated as legal costs and therefore exempt from FFP and they ticked a box without seriously scrutinising, analysing and if appropriate, challenging the issue.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-8---offences-inquiries-commissions-disputes-and-appeals/

If the EFL is snookered over Derby's stadium sale, perhaps they might be able to award a points deduction as a penalty if Keogh's sacking is deemed unfair.   :)

Archived