IGNORED

Derby County Drink Driving charges (merged topics)

WhistleHappy

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

So the story of how the accident happened , that they left Keogh at the scene and then returned appears true

Lawrence will do well to escape prison

I think they may get away without custodial.

As a guide, when Ant McPartlin got arrested he was on 75mg alcohol in 100ml of breath - fined £86k and banned for 20 months. 

Bennett was on 64mg, Lawrence 58mg. The thing against them being treated in line with McPartlin is having left the scene, but a quick google shows Darren Day having been arrested with 58mg and driving off after an accident - second offence in 2 years, fine and 5 year ban.

I’m going for fine and ban of c2 years. Not saying it’s the right call, but it seems precedent.

Although having seen the video of Bennett, him being that “low” surprises me.

• Admin

Mason Bennett (left) and Tom Lawrence (right)

Derby County footballers Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett have pleaded guilty to drink-driving.

The pair were charged after a Range Rover Sport and Mercedes GLC crashed in Derby after a team-building dinner.

At the city's magistrates' court they also admitted failing to stop at the scene of the crash on 24 September.

The court heard Lawrence, 25, gave a breath test reading of 58mcg per 100ml and Bennett a reading of 64. The legal limit is 35mcg per 100ml.

Marianne Connally, prosecuting, said the players were driving home at about 23:30 BST after a night out at the Joiner's Arms pub.

A car driven by Welsh international Lawrence crashed into the back of Bennett's on the A6 in Allestree.

Lawrence's car then went across a roundabout before smashing into "street furniture", the prosecutor added.

Ms Connally said a paramedic crew witnessed the crash "entirely by chance" and came to the aid of two passengers at the scene as the defendants fled.

Lawrence and Bennett, 23, returned to the scene about 45 minutes later and were arrested.

Derby captain Richard Keogh, who was a passenger in one of the cars, sustained a knee injury that has ruled him out for up to 15 months.

Lucy Whitaker, defending Bennett, said he had been sick at the pub after being "pressured" to drink a Jagerbomb shot by team-mates.

e admitted he had drunk "some alcohol" on the night, but was driving "perfectly normally" on the way home when the crash occurred, Ms Bennett said.

Bennett "panicked" and then left the scene, before returning after he received a call from Lawrence asking him to pick him up from a garage, the court heard.

Lawrence, of Duffield, and Bennett, of Whaley Thorns near Mansfield, were fined six weeks' wages by the club after the crash.

Derby also condemned the players for bringing the club into disrepute following the "alcohol-related incident".

Lawrence signed for Derby from Leicester City for £5m in August 2017, while Bennett came through the Rams' youth system.

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Bennett "panicked" and then left the scene, before returning after he received a call from Lawrence asking him to pick him up from a garage, the court heard.

"Yeah, Mason....you know that crash we just had because we were both pissed.....do us a favour and jump back in one of your other cars to pick me up!" :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think they may get away without custodial.

As a guide, when Ant McPartlin got arrested he was on 75mg alcohol in 100ml of breath - fined £86k and banned for 20 months. 

Bennett was on 64mg, Lawrence 58mg. The thing against them being treated in line with McPartlin is having left the scene, but a quick google shows Darren Day having been arrested with 58mg and driving off after an accident - second offence in 2 years, fine and 5 year ban.

I’m going for fine and ban of c2 years. Not saying it’s the right call, but it seems precedent.

Although having seen the video of Bennett, him being that “low” surprises me.

You pretty much called it, save for some community service!

District Judge Jonathan Taaffee had warned the players a custodial sentence was an option, but decided not to follow through on the threat after hearing from probation services that they would struggle in prison.

Am I missing something here?? I'm not hugely draconian on law and order, but wouldn't we all- pretty much anyone would!!

Wonder which team Mr. Taaffee supports. :whistle2:

40 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Unfortunately like Beckham they can afford very good lawyers. 

Very true, but one part of the judges reasoning for not sending them to prison is/was a joke- regardless of lawyers IMO.

The size of the fine- 500 x less than Ant of Ant and Dec fame Dec got, or around that anyway- for a more serious incident.

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Very true, but one part of the judges reasoning for not sending them to prison is/was a joke- regardless of lawyers IMO.

The size of the fine- 500 x less than Ant and Dec got, or around that anyway- for a more serious incident.

A bit harsh on Dec, seeing as he wasn't there!

Joke of a punishment, send out the completely wrong message.

Not a major inconvenience having a driving ban when you can comfortably pay for a driver / taxi.

So fined 6 weeks wages by their employer, minimum punishment from the court - all over.

I really wonder what would have happened to Joe Public in exactly the same circumstances.

Another case recently of 4 posh kids in their late teens who beat up a youth from a neighbouring town were represented in court by some very expensive lawyers. They were spared prison because it was said, "they wouldn't be able to cope!" Apparently the ring leader stated that he had given up alcohol and drugs for a fortnight and believed he was on the way to being rehabilitated! It didn't say whether the poor victim had received a banning order from re-entering the town!

Archived