IGNORED

City v Preston (a) - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

Haven’t seen a tweet from @jbcfc today, so I’m gonna have to put the effort in this week!  Luckily, two of our unsuspecting opponent’s fans - @pnefcok and @Mortis have unknowingly furnished me with some insight. I hope LJ is reading, and Alex Neil isn’t.

How Do They Line-up:

Last week’s league match v Birmingham (a) won 1-0, not cup game v Man  City.

3F4B833C-FDE2-436F-8124-9303E833C1E7.thumb.jpeg.c788b0bc0b8621376a822b851ea32683.jpeg

Graphic from Statszone...Transfermarkt have changed their templates.

How Do They Play:

15487C61-A553-4041-B8B7-A2D9631C7645.thumb.jpeg.cc7abe53e3328c4bdf8519b5cc9d755e.jpeg

1DE7FFA2-C20C-40D6-ADA0-0E63320E2634.thumb.jpeg.7f02dfa31510cacb18f02a7bbe059767.jpeg

The Players:

Declan Rudd - GK - ex-Norwich goalie, who had previously had a loan spell at PNE earlier in career.  Established number 1, and decent keeper at this level.

Darnell Fisher - RB - one of those young (albeit now 25) attacking, energetic right backs that we’ve hankered after for years who turn up at clubs and we think why have t we got someone.  In the mould of Christie, Darikwa etc.  I do think you can get at him though.

Andrew Hughes - LB - late(ish) arrival to championship football, now 27 having played at Newport and even Mangotsfield Utd.  Steady LB who has been a fairly regular player since arriving from Peterborough

Patrick Bauer - CB - German Centre-Back, arrived on a free from Charlton in the summer.  Can’t believe he wasn’t given the 24 shirt.  Has really improved them against crosses this season.

Ben Davies - CB - highly rated defender, who’s come through the ranks and several loan spells to be one of the most sought after CBS in the division.  Got a good all round game and settled into a good partnership with Bauer.

Ben Pearson - CM - dirty little shit....get your bets on for a yellow card tomorrow.

Paul Gallagher - CM - crafty little shit....but very good technically especially at set-pieces.  I will be counting the feigned clash of head injuries tomorrow.

Daniel Johnson - AM - annoying little shit....if you’re trying to take a free-kick, just stands on the ball, or kicks it away when ref not watching.

In seriousness, 3 key players in Neil’s side.

Sean Maguire - LF/CF - Seany Maguire, Seany Maguire, he drinks the Guinness, he drinks the Murphy’s, his curtain’s are ******’ massive.  Ex-Eastenders and Scott & Bailey actor who is also a Nippy striker with hamstrings made of cheese strings.  Always on the half turn, and tidy finisher

Josh Harrop - RF - ex-Man Utd youngster who’s back in the first team fold after an ACL injury.  

Tom Barkhuisen - CF/RF - converted winger who’s played for a few of the NW coastal town clubs.  Good player with eye for a goal.

Others:

Alan Browne - Josh Brownhill ear-a-like who is in and out of the side this season.  Likes a goal from midfield.

David Nugent - experienced forward and nephew of Emily and brother of Spider.  Famed for his goal on debut for England...just ask Defoe!

Billy Bodin - ex-Gas, son of Paul who played for Bath and Newport.

So How Do We Win:

• Get a gypsy to reverse the curse
  • piss in each corner flag before the game
  • don’t try to match the shithousery of Pearson, Johnson and Gallagher
  • let Semenyo loose!!!

3 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

I'd probably expect Bodin, if fit again, to start on the right instead of Harrop but otherwise I fully expect that to be the team.

Bench will include the likes of Browne, Potts, Ledson, Storey, then 2 out of the likes of Green, Ginnelly, Nugent and Stockley.

No Bayliss? How has he been since signing from Cov. City were sniffing around him.... 

4 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

No Bayliss? How has he been since signing from Cov. City were sniffing around him.... 

I liked him at Cov.  My only slight reservation was whether he was quick enough with the ball at his feet for top-end Champ.  Albeit only seen him on telly.

58 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

Has looked promising when used in cup games but still very young and was never going to walk straight into a proven and experienced midfield at this level.

Seems like AN still coaching a few things into him before introducing him to league action.

6 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Has looked promising when used in cup games but still very young and was never going to walk straight into a proven and experienced midfield at this level.

Seems like AN still coaching a few things into him before introducing him to league action.

Sounds like Massengo for us ?

Good post. 

One thing I will say is Darnell Fisher an excellent defensive full back. He's brilliant defending one on ones, wins free kicks, and is quick. Last season I also saw a stat that he had the best progressive passing out of any full back in the league. However, he does quite often lose his man at the back stick due to lack of concentration. I wouldn't say he's a weak point though.

We're not great defending set pieces IMO. We have also struggled in the past against teams who sit lots of men behind the ball and defend in compact blocks, but you're not like that so. 

What team do we play I wonder. I got a feeling LJ may go similar to Norwich away last season. With O'Dowda in behind Fam.

Bentley

Hunt    Moore.   Williams   Rowe

Brownhill. Massengo

Weimann.  O'Dowda.   Eliasson 

Diedhiou

Not the team I would pick but I believe something like that is what LJ will go with.

1 hour ago, UpTheWhites said:

We're not great defending set pieces IMO. We have also struggled in the past against teams who sit lots of men behind the ball and defend in compact blocks, but you're not like that so. 

No problem there then as we're not great at attacking set pieces.  I do wonder what we do in training regarding that.

Still fancy us to pick up a point in the most boring 0-0 you will ever see, so it's bound to be a great match full of goals and end to end football then ?

We do need to start creating chances and putting away a higher % of the few we create though.

If I were LJ I would Bench Dave and Antoine and play a 550 formation to surprise them with the option of bringing on attackers and wingers if needed.

Archived