IGNORED

1976-77 season 1st Division,

City oz

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Forgot Peter Cormack. Not sure how many Keith Fear scored but never thought he was 1st division standard. We certainly suffered without big Cheese up front.

I too was at Coventry which if I remember rightly was on a Thursday afternoon because of all the power cuts. Our school was closed or on half day. Me and my mate caught the train to Coventry (was there a football special ?)

Two football specials 

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yep fun season. The Sunderland game we kicked off both halves. :laugh:. We beat Man City 1/0 at home. Did the double over Spurs I think. Beat Arsenal and Liverpool, who were European Champions!

Tell kids today and they wouldn’t believe you. :laugh:!!!!

Man city were on a run of 16 unbeaten at the time on match of the day when only 3 games shown

17 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yep fun season. The Sunderland game we kicked off both halves. :laugh:. We beat Man City 1/0 at home. Did the double over Spurs I think. Beat Arsenal and Liverpool, who were European Champions!

Tell kids today and they wouldn’t believe you. :laugh:!!!!

When you consider we looked down and out before our last 3 home games, Leeds, manu and Liverpool it was amazing we stayed up.

14 hours ago, City oz said:

After the Cheese we only had Ritchie the sticks, Chris G, the right winger Cormack and Keith fear knocking in some goals.

At that time Don Gillies was a striker and he played the next few games up front until we signed Garland a few weeks later, then Gillies was moved to right back and stayed there

11 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I had no chance of getting to the famous Coventry game, I was onky 13, lived in West Somerset and none of my family liked football very much. 

So I remember listening to it on radio Bristol which if you lived that far away was a very hit and miss experience. It started off ok but as the evening drew on more and more other radio stations could be heard interfering with the commentary.

It was like this for all evening games and usually I'd give up after half time and either catch the score at the end of the evening news or wait until the morning where as a paper boy I'd read the full report in the WDP. 

That evening was too important so I stuck with it trying to make out the commentary from Highfield rd while being interrupted by other radio stations, some in English, quite a few in Welsh and oddly always a few in French. As it dragged on it became clear it was going to be a draw and another season in the top flight to look forward to.

Nowadays I can be looking at monkey's in a rain forest in Malaysia and my watch will ping telling me Josh Brownhill has knocked in a free kick. Crazy!

Great post. I was also raised in a non-football following family. My brother and I changed all that and later dragged my parents along! Having not lived in Bristol for years I've resorted (in the pre-internet era)to getting in the car to drive up onto the Ridgeway to find the exact spot where Radio Bristol can still be heard...on holiday on an island off the coast of Brittany it was possible (just) to catch bits of commentary on a match against either Watford or Luton (I forget which)...whereas these days it's been possible to be working in Ashgabat in Turkmenistan and follow the action!

13 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Great post. I was also raised in a non-football following family. My brother and I changed all that and later dragged my parents along! Having not lived in Bristol for years I've resorted (in the pre-internet era)to getting in the car to drive up onto the Ridgeway to find the exact spot where Radio Bristol can still be heard...on holiday on an island off the coast of Brittany it was possible (just) to catch bits of commentary on a match against either Watford or Luton (I forget which)...whereas these days it's been possible to be working in Ashgabat in Turkmenistan and follow the action!

Kids today will never know what we had to endure. 

I can remember a number of occasions being abroad on holiday and tuning in to the BBC world service, they would give the days results out sometime early Saturday evening. However, if you missed it that would mean waiting for an English newspaper which in most places bar southern Spain would be a day late, so the Sunday paper would arrive in Monday morning.

The excitement of seeing a newspaper on sale in a shop knowing it had the result of a game played nearly 48 hours ago was huge. Of course it could make or break how much you enjoyed that days holiday 

16 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

Man city were on a run of 16 unbeaten at the time on match of the day when only 3 games shown

I think it was 17 games and when they lost to a Garland goal from s free-kick straight off the training ground, Micky Doyle, the Man City captain, stated that Bristol City weren't fit enough to tie up their bootlaces. I don't know if he meant Man City's bootlaces or our own bootlaces. For decades it hasn't really mattered, but now with VAR where goals have been rulled out by a player being a fraction of a mm offside, it matters crucially as correctly tied up boots will not leave laces flapping inches in front of the toe of the boot, whereas untied laces will. Seeing that we survived that season by the skin of our teeth, a few goals ruled out by VAR due to incorrectly tied bootlaces wouldve seen us relegated. 

We did the double over 3 London teams that season, Arsenal, Spurs and QPR.

Billy 'Feta' Wedlock.

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I think it was 17 games and when they lost to a Garland goal from s free-kick straight off the training ground, Micky Doyle, the Man City captain, stated that Bristol City weren't fit enough to tie up their bootlaces. I don't know if he meant Man City's bootlaces or our own bootlaces. For decades it hasn't really mattered, but now with VAR where goals have been rulled out by a player being a fraction of a mm offside, it matters crucially as correctly tied up boots will not leave laces flapping inches in front of the toe of the boot, whereas untied laces will. Seeing that we survived that season by the skin of our teeth, a few goals ruled out by VAR due to incorrectly tied bootlaces wouldve seen us relegated. 

We did the double over 3 London teams that season, Arsenal, Spurs and QPR.

Billy 'Feta' Wedlock.

Qpr away when merrick rescued a dog from a puddle? 

Archived