IGNORED

Preston North End v Bristol City Match Day 9

Septic Peg

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

the reality is that every club has good people who follow them. PNE as a whole, I reckon have a bit of a  we're northern, we're historic, little Bristol who? etc etc thing about them and it totally gets on my tits tbh.12,000 in the championship. Poor, piss poor

hmm...not so sure. I think we'll have to agree to differ. I popped into the Preston town museum this afternoon...which is great, very accessible, not at all pompous (in passing...such a pity they moved the football museum to Manchester.) They have every right to crow about their contributions to football history, both men's and women's. We're minnows by comparison I'm afraid...but for us, I hope, the glory lies in the future, not the past!

8 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

hmm...not so sure. I think we'll have to agree to differ. I popped into the Preston town museum this afternoon...which is great, very accessible, not at all pompous (in passing...such a pity they moved the football museum to Manchester.) They have every right to crow about their contributions to football history, both men's and women's. We're minnows by comparison I'm afraid...but for us, I hope, the glory lies in the future, not the past!

Yeah but this is 2019 the last time I looked. If we're minnows then so are they... 12,000  come on

I wasn’t at the game and have only seen the highlights, but it looks to me like we were robbed of a win by a series of poor decisions from the officials. The first penalty was a dive and that was a key turning point because it got them back in the game just before half time. The second penalty was given correctly. For their third goal Baker could have done better, but their scorer still climbed on him. Clear foul in my opinion. Diedhiou’s goal should have stood. 

Very frustrating. I would have gladly taken a draw prior to the game but it’s galling that several inept refereeing decisions cost us two points. 

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Yeah but this is 2019 the last time I looked. If we're minnows then so are they... 12,000  come on

well they're punching above their weight then...

...but look, I don't hold any particular candle for Preston, however their history is undeniably more distinguished than ours...which is, of course, all the more reason to get to behind the team and get us back into the Prem, as a decent number of people were doing at Deepdale today.

Just watched the game again on Quest and some of the decisions were not as bad as I first thought.  Their goal where their player climbed on Baker was a definite foul though. Diedhiou's push for his disallowed goal was clearer from a different angle and the pen against Williams was spot on.

Can't make my mind up though on their first penalty though. 

1 hour ago, stephenkibby. said:

Have to agree. Watched Quest waiting to be ******* annoyed at the incompetent Ref.

The only one he got wrong IMO was Preston's third. How people think Fammy's goal should have been allowed can only be down to one eyed watching.

So you agree we should have won 3-2 that's probably why most on here (and myself) are a bit pi**ed.

36 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Just back. For me the turning point in the match was their first penalty. Anyone who has followed the game must know that the scoring of any goal in injury time in the first half will have a significant psychological impact on the course of the game. You'd surely have to be 100% certain to give such a penalty. He couldn't have been. To award such a soft penalty, and gift Preston a lifeline in first half injury time, was inexcusable. It was directly the result of home fans getting on the ref's back. Weak...good to see LJ calling to out.

Nailed on.

I wasn't there but penalty, right on halftime- had that sinking feeling, feared a bad outcome!

As you say, such a key phase/period of the game, can swing momentum in a major way...

If you're nor fully sure, you can't- shouldn't give it.

Do we need to start getting on officials cases a bit more at AG, that raw and pure partisanship- Stoke fans to Brownhill and the officials a good example despite a likely justified red and the Preston fans today.

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

the reality is that every club has good people who follow them. PNE as a whole, I reckon have a bit of a  we're northern, we're historic, little Bristol who? etc etc thing about them and it totally gets on my tits tbh.12,000 in the championship. Poor, piss poor

Not ‘piss poor’ at all - 12,000 is nearly 9% of Preston’s population - less than 5% of Bristolians turn up to watch City ...

13 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Ref was undoubtedly a homer. But we all get those occasionally and it’s something we have to put up with.  A point at Preston isn’t a bad one, they’re a decent side (and to be fair, I quite like them). 

The Nobheads deserve a lot of credit for intimidating the ref , he buckled under the pressure and couldn’t wait to even things up. 

I’m just surprised that Bailey Wright wasn’t sent off !

How often does a ref get the same treatment at the Gate? 

I thought we played well. We are strong mentally and that is so important. We deserved to win against a good Preston side who had won their last four games at home. 

The future looks very promising. 

Get our squad back up to full strength add a finisher in January and promotion would be within reach .

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

They’re probably still paying the price for when they dropped into the basement and almost went bust in the mid 80’s, a generation of fans who had the Manchester clubs and Merseyside clubs on their doorstep would’ve been lost forever 

23 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Robbed against PNE, 2 disallowed goals & 2 penalties against Don't lose against the teams against the top is the aim though, so a draw away isn't the worst result.

23 hours ago, Ecko said:

No mention of either disallowed goals? funny that. we deserved all 3 points - you got lucky.

Since you brought them up, Weimann was offside and Diedhiou pushed Bauer with two hands in the back. On first viewing, I thought it was incredibly soft. But there are numerous angles showing that it is a foul all day long. 

23 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Do me a favour mate and **** off, you had 3 shots on target of which 2 were penalties, the other effort was an obvious foul, we've had 2 disallowed goals, you’re all I need

I've been quite respectful about the game to be honest. We didn't deserve to win. We were poor. 

But please get off your high horse - you scored three goals all from set pieces. 

1 minute ago, UpTheWhites said:

Since you brought them up, Weimann was offside and Diedhiou pushed Bauer with two hands in the back. On first viewing, I thought it was incredibly soft. But there are numerous angles showing that it is a foul all day long. 

I've been quite respectful about the game to be honest. We didn't deserve to win. We were poor. 

But please get off your high horse - you scored three goals all from set pieces. 

Didn’t realise it made a difference where goals were scored from?

And unless I’m badly mistaken, you also scored 3 goals from set pieces whilst having to foul our player to score the 3rd

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As I said pre match 

A horrible side ,  and the worse I’ve seen at AG each season for last few seasons 

Plenty of cocks in that side

Another uneducated post on the forum. 

Alan Browne and Josh Brownhill lived together in Preston for two years. They remain good friends and was a harmless celebration. 

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Didn’t realise it made a difference where goals were scored from?

And unless I’m badly mistaken, you also scored 3 goals from set pieces whilst having to foul our player to score the 3rd

It completely doesn't matter. But it was Galway Red who brought up that we only had three shots on targets and two were penalties. Like you say, it doesn't make a difference. 

A few on here seem to think that because you striker fouled our defender and Weimann was offside, it means you should have won the game?

1 minute ago, UpTheWhites said:

It completely doesn't matter. But it was Galway Red who brought up that we only had three shots on targets and two were penalties. Like you say, it doesn't make a difference. 

A few on here seem to think that because you striker fouled our defender and Weimann was offside, it means you should have won the game?

To be honest, off of first viewing diedhious goal looked like an awful decision from the ref. 

Having watched it back though it was spot on. As was Weimanns.

To be honest, no side deserved to win. I’m happy with the point because of our current squads situation with injuries but I’m still disappointed that your third was allowed, that’s football though

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

To be honest, off of first viewing diedhious goal looked like an awful decision from the ref. 

Having watched it back though it was spot on. As was Weimanns.

To be honest, no side deserved to win. I’m happy with the point because of our current squads situation with injuries but I’m still disappointed that your third was allowed, that’s football though

Yeah, our third was a foul. To be honest, I'm surprised your players didn't complain at the time. 

It's a shame that if we had your goalkeeper we probably would have kept a clean sheet. But as you say, that's football. 

17 minutes ago, UpTheWhites said:

Yeah, our third was a foul. To be honest, I'm surprised your players didn't complain at the time. 

It's a shame that if we had your goalkeeper we probably would have kept a clean sheet. But as you say, that's football. 

If you had our goalkeeper you would probably have scored a lot more .

:yes:

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No...defenders have to jump to avoid letting the opponent win the header (fairly / unfairly).  It’s a bit weird I know, but getting up that little bit early makes it harder for the opponent to win the ball.  They’ll usually foul you too and not score.

Little Jay Dasilva is good at it.  Doesn’t necessarily win headers himself, but his opponent doesn’t either.  Never lose goals at his back post.  Nor did Ayling.

Look at Wright v Jutkewiecz at Brum.  Allows Jutkiewicz to get all over him.

What if you try to jump but are prevented from jumping because you have someone pushing down on your shoulders?

See below picture.

You can clearly see Bakers feet are off the ground so he did attempt to jump but was prevented from doing so, hence why it was a foul.

FB_IMG_1569774106319.jpg

22 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

What if you try to jump but are prevented from jumping because you have someone pushing down on your shoulders?

See below picture.

You can clearly see Bakers feet are off the ground so he did attempt to jump but was prevented from doing so, hence why it was a foul.

FB_IMG_1569774106319.jpg

Basically what I’m saying, he needed to start his jump before Bauer started his.  I didn’t say he didn’t try to jump, just that he needed to get up earlier.  Once Bauer had got a run on him, it was gonna be difficult for Baker.  

28 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

See below picture.

FB_IMG_1569774106319.jpg

The Preston player jumped earlier. Bakers body position to start with was ok but he moved to a position where he could not see ball and man and he ended up facing his goal. Bakers jump has to be inefficient due to his footwork (his feet were wide apart), the Preston players foot work was more efficient and created more downward force to jump. 

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Basically what I’m saying, he needed to start his jump before Bauer started his.  I didn’t say he didn’t try to jump, just that he needed to get up earlier.  Once Bauer had got a run on him, it was gonna be difficult for Baker.  

I get the point you are making Dave but it doesn't follow that it wasn't a foul because Baker didn't do his job properly.

Unless the ref decided Baker got what he deserved for not jumping earlier!

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The Preston player jumped earlier. Bakers body position to start with was ok but he moved to a position where he could not see ball and man and he ended up facing his goal. Bakers jump has to be inefficient due to his footwork (his feet were wide apart), the Preston players foot work was more efficient and created more downward force to jump. 

You are making the same, valid, point as @Davefevsbut what bearing does it have on the ref deciding it wasn't a foul?

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You are making the same, valid, point as @Davefevsbut what bearing does it have on the ref deciding it wasn't a foul?

Baker lost his bearings and was outjumped. Its poor defending. There should not have been a question. The referee was left with a question does the Preston player who is commanding the situation foul a player who was more passive? In this case due to the City's players defending the Preston player was always going to get higher arms involved or not, and its not that difficult to see why the ref decides no foul.

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Baker lost his bearings and was outjumped. Its poor defending. There should not have been a question. The referee was left with a question does the Preston player who is commanding the situation foul a player who was more passive? In this case due to the City's players defending the Preston player was always going to get higher arms involved or not, and its not that difficult to see why the ref decides no foul.

Ok, but I still don't follow the argument. I may be missing something but it seems to amount to Baker got what he deserved because he defended badly so it doesn't matter if he was fouled.

Could you clarify?

Archived