IGNORED

Player Ratings - Preston (a)

Davefevs

Watched from about 15 mins on Robinstv, first 15 on Radio Bristol.

Bentley - 6 - solid enough, no chance with the pens, in atrocious conditions.

Hunt - 6 - willing option on the right, and defended well enough against a lot of diags

Rowe - 6 - steady too, maybe not as good with the ball today

Moore (57) - 7 - grabbed his first goal and it was his burst forward moments before that got us going after a spell of pressure on us

Williams - 8 - my MOTM.  Just oozes class.  Positions and anticipates so well.

Baker - 6 - looks like he made the right decision to come off last week.  Had a tough afternoon, but got a goal.  Needed to get up earlier at far post.  Ref never gonna give a foul.  Few slices in poor conditions.

Brownhill - 7 - got through some work today and used the ball well and simply.  Got some good tackles in.

Massengo - 6 - quieter game today, but improved second half defensively, nipping balls away, but the pace of the game made it a tough afternoon for him.

Palmer (62) - 7 - had a good game, lots of good touches and passes and generally strong on the ball.  Thought the volley was perfect for him, but half-shinned it.

Weimann - 6 - super header that I don’t think keeper would’ve saved had he not been on his arse.  Found his pockets but ref gave some awful decisions against him.

Semenyo - (57) 7 - linked the play well, mobile and strong.  I wouldn’t have taken him off.  If he plays like that most weeks he’s gonna grow and grow.  Very encouraging.

Subs: O’Dowda - (28) 6 - definitely looks like he’s a bit stronger and in the right games is gonna be a real asset.

Diedhiou - (33) 6 - put a better shift in and was unlucky with the disallowed goal.  Will need to improve to get ahead of Semenyo, especially if Antoine hits the net

Watkins - (33) 6 - carried the ball forward, gave us a bit more physicality but penalised by ref unfairly.  Did nothing to be critical of.

Will watch full game back when I can. Massive plus that Semenyo played well. Means we have options that doesn't mean just sticking Fam up top.

I'm wondering what happens when Kalas returns. Would not surprise me if LJ goes with Kalas and Williams as a pair in a back 4. I know we are currently playing with a 3, but LJ tinker's team and formations a lot.

Sounded like Baker was a bit dodgy at times today. Moore still the one brought off though. I wonder if LJ trusts Kalas and Williams more than any others at the moment. 

Amazing really that he went with Watkins over Eliasson. But if Watkins can get back to that Barnsley player, then maybe he still has a role for us. 

Bentley - 6 - Solid and almost got to one of the pens. Not really at fault for any of the goals. Couple of poor choices distribution wise which is unusual from him

Hunt - 7 - Got forward well and won the odd corner, great work rate

Rowe - 6 - A bit quieter this game I thought, didn't stand out in a positive or negative way

Moore - 7 - Good to see him get on the score sheet, and did well after an early mistake

Williams - 7 - As above, just class. Great tackles, a fantastic block, strong, almost always in the right place. Should be at least an 8, but a foolish penalty to give away

Baker - 7 - Strong as always, relatively quiet I thought which isn't always a bad thing from a defender

Brownhill - 7 - Typical solid but unspectacular performance. Decent shot the keeper spilt from a long way out, and took the free kick for our goal I think

Massengo - 7 - No big moments of note I can recall, but always on the Preston players heels nipping at them and winning the ball

Palmer - 6 - Decent going forwards but I didn't feel like he was on a wavelength with the front two while he was on

Weimann - 6 - Got a goal with a great header and his work-rate as always was excellent

Semenyo - 6 - This will be controversial I'm sure as he's somewhat of a favourite already, but I felt he didn't really get into the game at all in the first half, and  apart from his good shot which Weimann put in the rebound it's hard to recall much else from him. Deserves to keep getting minutes on the pitch as he'll only improve

Subs:

O'Dowda - 5 - Thought he was quiet when he came on, and often ran too much with the ball on the break only to lose it when a better option was on and put us back under pressure

Diedhiou - 7 - Hard to rate as always. Perfectly good goal disallowed, won the free kick we scored from and made a great chance with a good flick on to Weimann in the box is a good return in 30m... But when he's not doing something really good, he's usually doing something pretty poor for this level

Watkins - 6 - Brought a bit of strength on and held the ball up well, although I felt he was a bit selfish at times.

2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Can't give Williams 8 when gifts a pen with hands up. Did well other than that. Semenyo not great poitionally in the box. Fails to anticipate. May learn though.

He was a 9 without that ???

From Robinstv I thought it hit him in the face, but seems no complaints.

Bentley 8 - faultless display 

Moore 8 - strong in both boxes and barely put a foot wrong other than a couple of passes 

Williams - 8 - MOTM- marked down from a 9 due to penalty. Like a rock in the air and on the floor

Baker 7 - scored but a bit less disciplined than his centre back colleagues 

Hunt - 7 - another solid display

Rowe - 7 - strong and another one who was solid and mainly untroubled 

Massengo - 8 - another typical display from the young man. Harried and hassled and good on the ball

Brownhill - 7 - not great in possession but kept going

Palmer - 7 - excellent in possession and decent out before fading

Weimann 7 - excellent first half but frustrating second

Semenyo - 7 - very harsh to be brought off. Quick and held onto ball well

Subs

Diedhiou 6 - did okay. A mix of good and bad as normal. Frustrating final pass

Watkins - 6 - battled well without having final ball

COD - 6 - similar time Watkins  

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Surprised that so many low ratings. With a decent ref we won that game 4-1 away to a 3rd place team who are excellent at home 

I thought we were predominantly good with the ball but sloppy quite a bit without it.  We didn’t condense the space, we allowed runners off of us, and it suited Preston.  They dominated us for 15 minutes before we took the lead.  I think a 3-3 glosses over some performances.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought we were predominantly good with the ball but sloppy quite a bit without it.  We didn’t condense the space, we allowed runners off of us, and it suited Preston.  They dominated us for 15 minutes before we took the lead.  I think a 3-3 glosses over some performances.

Fair enough but I completely disagree

They had one spell that looked decent but they pretty much created nothing all game. Bentley is a spectator for that whole game other than catching crosses.

They had one shot on target other than the penalties and the ref has totalling cost us three points. 

For me there was not one weak player today out of the starting eleven

That was as aggressive and confident an away performance as I can remember. Unlucky not to win. Williams brings that calm confidence. Semenyo needs more playing time. Weimann is a real handful. So much energy. On another day Fam would have had that goal. Bit of a wrestling match in a puddle. 

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Fine...all about opinions.

They had one spell that looked decent but they pretty much created nothing all game. Bentley is a spectator for that whole game other than catching crosses.

They had spells in both halves, just like we did.

They had one shot on target other than the penalties and the ref has totalling cost us three points. 
it’s not all about shots though.  61:39 possession says something.

...and that’s why nobody got below a 6/10.  1x8, 4x7, 6x6 for the starters.  That says to me we played well. 6/10 is a decent performance, the starting point for me and players go up and down.  No player went below that.  I could give some 6 1/2 or 7 1/2, but I don’t do halves.  I totalled 72, you 81.

Look at whoscored below who use an algorithm.  Interestingly they added up to 72 too.

You’re just more generous than me.

157777FA-80A9-4DB7-83CB-86D042CA3B35.thumb.jpeg.2cec5e9c0d3aab9d887a7b4366c48035.jpeg

37 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Will watch full game back when I can. Massive plus that Semenyo played well. Means we have options that doesn't mean just sticking Fam up top.

I'm wondering what happens when Kalas returns. Would not surprise me if LJ goes with Kalas and Williams as a pair in a back 4. I know we are currently playing with a 3, but LJ tinker's team and formations a lot.

Sounded like Baker was a bit dodgy at times today. Moore still the one brought off though. I wonder if LJ trusts Kalas and Williams more than any others at the moment. 

Amazing really that he went with Watkins over Eliasson. But if Watkins can get back to that Barnsley player, then maybe he still has a role for us. 

It's not amazing really. LJ seems to be pretty clueless when it comes to Eliasson

21 minutes ago, RedDave said:

There's no way they would have scored 3 without the penalties. We could easily have got more on the break with the right final ball.

I hope LJ doesn't use those marks to determine who he thought played well!

I would find it interesting to know what a player scores higher on and lower on.

I didn't see the game, but everyone telling me Williams was different class other than the stupid mistake for goal, but on there he is rated as the worst centre back.

Also people telling me Baker had some dodgy moments, and was the worse of the back 3. That website says he is best.

It's actually debatable sometimes whether what a player does is good or bad. So I do not know how a computer can determine it.

For example a player hitting the ball into the channels to move the team up the pitch, forcing throw or just getting the team to push up. Is that statisically a bad thing because the ball has been passed to the opposition? 

Another example. Weimann superb dummy for Brownhill goal away at Derby. He doesn't touch the ball, but is that taken into consideration as a great bit of play by him when computer determines his rating?

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I hope LJ doesn't use those marks to determine who he thought played well!

I would find it interesting to know what a player scores higher on and lower on.

I didn't see the game, but everyone telling me Williams was different class other than the stupid mistake for goal, but on there he is rated as the worst centre back.

Also people telling me Baker had some dodgy moments, and was the worse of the back 3. That website says he is best.

It's actually debatable sometimes whether what a player does is good or bad. So I do not know how a computer can determine it.

For example a player hitting the ball into the channels to move the team up the pitch, forcing throw or just getting the team to push up. Is that statisically a bad thing because the ball has been passed to the opposition? 

Another example. Weimann superb dummy for Brownhill goal away at Derby. He doesn't touch the ball, but is that taken into consideration as a great bit of play by him when computer determines his rating?

Yeah, I was only using it as an example to show that it added up to 72.  Baker and Willians wrong way round imho.

In terms of PNE: (imho)

Rudd 4, Fisher 6, Bauer 7, Davies 6, Rafferty 6, Pearson 6, Gallagher 6, Johnson 7, Maguire 7, Barkhuisen 6, Harrop 6 (Total: 67)

So we were better overall, the ref however 0/10.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I was only using it as an example to show that it added up to 72.  Baker and Willians wrong way round imho.

Rudd 4, Fisher 6, Bauer 7, Davies 6, Rafferty 6, Pearson 6, Gallagher 6, Johnson 7, Maguire 7, Barkhuisen 6, Harrop 6 (Total: 67)

Who did he book for complaining about Fam's "goal" btw? It looked like he did.

Edit: Weimann, just saw it.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would say

Rudd 4, Fisher 6, Bauer 7, Davies 6, Rafferty 5, Pearson 7, Gallagher 5,  Johnson 8, Maguire 7, Barkhuisen 5, Harrop 5

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I'd agree with most of your ratings, Dave although I'd give Bentley 7 for taking a number of dangerous crosses in difficult conditions.

Don't understand why Famara's goal was disallowed.

A fair few on Preston forum saying Bentley was the difference, and they'd like a keeper like him.

53 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

A fair few on Preston forum saying Bentley was the difference, and they'd like a keeper like him.

That’s because Rudd was awful.  Dropped the cross for our first.  Got pushed over by his own player for our second.  And spilled it through his hands and legs for our third.

Archived