IGNORED

Semenyo (Merged)

old_eastender

9 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Putting aside the awful refereeing today, thought Semenyo did OK but needs to put himself about more, was having his best spell when taken off. For me need to persist with starting him because Fammy is not the answer (although unlucky to have his 'goal' ruled out today).

Thought he gave us more alround than a typical Fam performance.  But he will need to get goals too.

Thought he was alright, but nowhere near our best player - I feel like because he's young and we all want him to do well, some people aren't viewing him in an accurate light. Didn't think he got in to the game much in the first half... Was starting to improve in the second and had a good shot which Weimann then put in (disallowed) but not many more notable highlights. He still looks raw to me, and is expecting to have a bit more time to think or take on the ball than he has at this level.

I'd still give him more games and time.

Keep in mind only his what? 3rd? Championship starts. He needs more games and starts. 

As for today I get he wasn’t great but you can see those moments from him. That is the big difference between league 2 and championship. He needs consistency for sure and he needs to learn how to find space in the box. Was really disappointed in his movement for that Weimann cross across the 6 yard box in first half. But then you see the natural ability to pick the ball up from deep, take a few dribbles and fire a shot from 30 yards with his weak foot that the keeper needs to parry. 

Personally, I am rotating all the forwards until January. Trying to find the right partnerships, who brings it more from the bench, who can give a consistent 60-90 minutes etc. Weimann, Fam, Semenyo and Watkins over the next couple months should be enough to keep us around the top 6. Can even throw O’Dowda in there. With Palmer behind any two we will create chances. 

I would then go in big in January for someone available. We don’t know who that may be right now but we need to be ready this time around

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Keep in mind only his what? 3rd? Championship starts. He needs more games and starts. 

As for today I get he wasn’t great but you can see those moments from him. That is the big difference between league 2 and championship. He needs consistency for sure and he needs to learn how to find space in the box. Was really disappointed in his movement for that Weimann cross across the 6 yard box in first half. But then you see the natural ability to pick the ball up from deep, take a few dribbles and fire a shot from 30 yards with his weak foot that the keeper needs to parry. 

Personally, I am rotating all the forwards until January. Trying to find the right partnerships, who brings it more from the bench, who can give a consistent 60-90 minutes etc. Weimann, Fam, Semenyo and Watkins over the next couple months should be enough to keep us around the top 6. Can even throw O’Dowda in there. With Palmer behind any two we will create chances. 

I would then go in big in January for someone available. We don’t know who that may be right now but we need to be ready this time around

Bring in the Clark-Harris!!! 

40 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Putting aside the awful refereeing today, thought Semenyo did OK but needs to put himself about more, was having his best spell when taken off. For me need to persist with starting him because Fammy is not the answer (although unlucky to have his 'goal' ruled out today).

Samenyo hasn’t scored yet but Fammy does quite regularly! 

2 minutes ago, forbespm said:

Eisa  scored 25 goals in league 2 compared to semenyo who scored 3.

Eisa  is now top scorer in league 1 with 8.

Semenyo is being given a great chance by Johnson who obviously rates him a lot higher than eisa,despite the difference in goalscoring

Semenyo several years younger and was mostly played on the wing in League 2, while Eisa was the main goal threat for his side.

Both players will have been seen week in, week out by all the coaches.

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Massengo 8th most minutes of all players (in view)

Considering his age, shows how much he has impressed alone, for someone just turned 18 to get so much time.

It’s filtered out all loans out and academy.  So basically that’s our first team squad.

Thought he was good today, unlucky not to stay on but I think LJ could see it was getting more and more physical. He tracked back well and his pressing uptop was good too, nothing to get overexcited about but solid and was better than last appearance. Needs to be given a chance and I would hope he keeps getting minutes either by starting or a relatively early sub. 

44 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

If we wait three months it could be too much ground to make up if he's not upto it

Perhaps. But the options are limited until the NY whatever happens. this kid s going to be a star no doubt

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Thought he was alright, but nowhere near our best player - I feel like because he's young and we all want him to do well, some people aren't viewing him in an accurate light. Didn't think he got in to the game much in the first half... Was starting to improve in the second and had a good shot which Weimann then put in (disallowed) but not many more notable highlights. He still looks raw to me, and is expecting to have a bit more time to think or take on the ball than he has at this level.

I'd still give him more games and time.

Opinions and all that. Certainly the TV commentators were highly complementary and a bit underwhelmed he was taken off. I reckon it was right because they were very weak at dead balls but this kid has it. 

1 hour ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Bring in the Clark-Harris!!! 

Jokes aside I thought he was a handful for Rotherham a couple seasons ago. Surprised he dropped as far as he did. Think he would be a competent championship striker. Don’t think he is good enough for what we aspire to be however. 

46 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Semenyo several years younger and was mostly played on the wing in League 2, while Eisa was the main goal threat for his side.

Both players will have been seen week in, week out by all the coaches.

I still don't really understand why Eisa was written off without getting a chance. He has proven he can score goals - albeit it at a lower level.

Comparing their records at the same level it doesn't really make sense that AS is being persevered with while Eisa was sold without getting any real chance.

Scoring goals is a talent in itself. One which Eisa has demonstrated he is more of a natural at then Semenyo. Maybe AS will prove to be an asset but I don't see any evidence he will score many goals. What we need and don't have is a natural finisher. Afobe looked like he would be that player for us, I can't see AS filling that role.

11 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I still don't really understand why Eisa was written off without getting a chance. He has proven he can score goals - albeit it at a lower level.

Comparing their records at the same level it doesn't really make sense that AS is being persevered with while Eisa was sold without getting any real chance.

Scoring goals is a talent in itself. One which Eisa has demonstrated he is more of a natural at then Semenyo. Maybe AS will prove to be an asset but I don't see any evidence he will score many goals. What we need and don't have is a natural finisher. Afobe looked like he would be that player for us, I can't see AS filling that role.

It would have been interesting to see Eisa alongside Weimann in this system. Weimann working his socks off and Eisa getting in the right places to score goals. 

But to be fair he must have been no where near good enough in training for LJ to not play him. We were hardly scoring many last season, and we really struggled at home and really looked like we needed a goalscorer up top at times. 

He was pretty poor when I saw him for us. But main thing is what LJ sees in training. If Eisa can't link up well and do what LJ expects in a striker then fair enough.

Archived