IGNORED

Semenyo (Merged)

old_eastender

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

For his first start at a striker at this level and at his age I’d say he was exceptional

Will improve loads this season if given chances 

No issue here with the performance but he didn't look like a striker.

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

Very little patience being show in this thread.  How many minutes in the Championship has Semenyo played?

Chill out ffs, give him a season at least and see what he learns.

Unfortunately for him, we are judging Semenyo not as a prospect but as a solution to our striker problem. We have to judge if he can fill that void and score plenty of goals.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Then we need to buy someone for that job in January. 

Maybe.  Or we could be realistic about expectations this season and keep letting our very young squad develop.  TBH I haven't seen a single suggestion of a player we could sign in January that I'd actually want us to sign.  I know the club will be trying to but there's no point in panicking.  And there's certainly no point in heaping unrealistic pressure on one of our best young prospects.

Semenyo is going to be fine. He is a damn good player and will get goals. 

We are right up there, eight games unbeaten and having our squad depth tested. This will hold us in good stead later in the season. 

We have played a lot of teams around us plus Derby and who I don’t expect to be languishing much longer. We now have three games where many of us will have our fingers crossed for some decent results. 

Terrible ref today who didn’t give us nose drippings and yet I have yet to see anyone claim that anyone of our players had a bad game. 

Semenyo just needs a goal!

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

Maybe.  Or we could be realistic about expectations this season and keep letting our very young squad develop.  TBH I haven't seen a single suggestion of a player we could sign in January that I'd actually want us to sign.  I know the club will be trying to but there's no point in panicking.  And there's certainly no point in heaping unrealistic pressure on one of our best young prospects.

That's interesting... Do you think top 6 is unrealistic?

1 hour ago, mozo said:

That's interesting... Do you think top 6 is unrealistic?

I think expecting it is unrealistic, hoping for it is fine.  But mainly I think allowing that sort of expectation to affect how a promising young player in his first start in the Championship is judged is mental.

6 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Thought he was alright, but nowhere near our best player - I feel like because he's young and we all want him to do well, some people aren't viewing him in an accurate light. Didn't think he got in to the game much in the first half... Was starting to improve in the second and had a good shot which Weimann then put in (disallowed) but not many more notable highlights. He still looks raw to me, and is expecting to have a bit more time to think or take on the ball than he has at this level.

I'd still give him more games and time.

That’s probably true but to be expected for young players. You have to allow them to make mistakes and learn on the job. It’s very rare that you get the finished article (ie Owen WC 98/Rooney EU 04 as two examples). Most players need time to adapt.

He’s a natural goal scorer - once he gets one he will be away.

I find it bizarre that everyone is extremely patient with the 18 year old Massengo, who has shown promise but has also shown himself to be far from the finished article. Yet, Semenyo at 19 years of age is apparently extremely average and not of the required quality to play in the team, despite only having started about 3 games for us. 

Is it rose tinted specs because one came from the Monaco academy and the other was playing for Newport last year? 

8 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I find it bizarre that everyone is extremely patient with the 18 year old Massengo, who has shown promise but has also shown himself to be far from the finished article. Yet, Semenyo at 19 years of age is apparently extremely average and not of the required quality to play in the team, despite only having started about 3 games for us. 

Is it rose tinted specs because one came from the Monaco academy and the other was playing for Newport last year? 

Fair point Marco

Think a lot  , is one playing in midfield role where he can look excellent winning balls , pass and go , 

and one playing in a position where the expectation is to create and score

When I’ve seen Semenyo, lots of skills and power  - but  I’d like to see him busier and get moving off the ball 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair point Marco

Think a lot  , is one playing in midfield role where he can look excellent winning balls , pass and go , 

and one playing in a position where the expectation is to create and score

When I’ve seen Semenyo, lots of skills and power  - but  I’d like to see him busier and get moving off the ball 

It will come with time, we need them playing. Massengo does the things he does well incredibly well but doesn’t offer anywhere near as much as Nagy and Brownhill in the midfield. 

Both are just very raw in their own particular ways. 

For the record I think that both have done excellently considering their ages and I really hope we don’t bring in a Gary Hooper or Wilfried Bony without giving Semenyo a bit more of a chance to show what he can do. 

For me, Semenyo doesn't play like a natural Striker. He plays more like an attacking left midfielder.

Very rarely gets into goal scoring positions in the box.

He's generally found outside the box left of centre.

Comes a lot deeper as well.

Imo... he's not a natural Striker. A 10 maybe...

43 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

It will come with time, we need them playing. Massengo does the things he does well incredibly well but doesn’t offer anywhere near as much as Nagy and Brownhill in the midfield. 

Both are just very raw in their own particular ways. 

For the record I think that both have done excellently considering their ages and I really hope we don’t bring in a Gary Hooper or Wilfried Bony without giving Semenyo a bit more of a chance to show what he can do. 

He’s definitely got some ability Marco ,though  he’s not a ‘goalscorer’ IMHO per se 

Likely to score more crackers (He has hell of a strike in him)  than tap ins - that sort of scorer !

I think he will be a striker. He has all the attributes at his age to go on and be a real top one imo.

Plenty of young strikers start off wide in their early years as playing centrally is so much tougher.

7 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Absolutely, could be that he will find his place as more of a wide attacker.

Not sure he works enough to play wide as such Marco (IMHO)

Think he could play in a front 3 , as a second striker or the obvious seems to be as a 10

He is capable of goals from around and outside the box , which is a good talent to have (probably moreso than in the box ! ) (though that may / should develop )

11 hours ago, Nibor said:

I think expecting it is unrealistic, hoping for it is fine.  But mainly I think allowing that sort of expectation to affect how a promising young player in his first start in the Championship is judged is mental.

Okay, I think we're close to agreement here.

Just to recap: Afobe was doing a great frontman job then got injured.

Some people suggested Diedhiou was an adequate replacement. I personally disagree.

Some people suggested that Semenyo is ready to take the mantle. I personally disagree.

I think he's a quality prospect, but I don't think a/ he is a striker as such, and b/ he is ready to perform at the Afobe standard. He will need time, as you have suggested. 

So the context here was who can adequately replace Afobe?

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s probably true but to be expected for young players. You have to allow them to make mistakes and learn on the job. It’s very rare that you get the finished article (ie Owen WC 98/Rooney EU 04 as two examples). Most players need time to adapt.

He’s a natural goal scorer - once he gets one he will be away.

Genuine question...How did you come to this conclusion? You might be right, but I haven't seen any evidence. Have you?

54 minutes ago, spudski said:

For me, Semenyo doesn't play like a natural Striker. He plays more like an attacking left midfielder.

Very rarely gets into goal scoring positions in the box.

He's generally found outside the box left of centre.

Comes a lot deeper as well.

Imo... he's not a natural Striker. A 10 maybe...

For me, he's going to become a Daniel Sturridge type forward; skilful, dangerous, but not a goalscorer per se. Just based on what I've seen so far. 

He definitely doesn't look like a Hugill or a Wells to me.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he will be a striker. He has all the attributes at his age to go on and be a real top one imo.

Plenty of young strikers start off wide in their early years as playing centrally is so much tougher.

Interesting, do you mean short, medium or long term?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure he works enough to play wide as such Marco (IMHO)

Think he could play in a front 3 , as a second striker or the obvious seems to be as a 10

He is capable of goals from around and outside the box , which is a good talent to have (probably moreso than in the box ! ) (though that may / should develop )

Palmer or Eliasson apparently didn't work enough to be in the team, look at them now after a bit of development, it can be worked on and developed. 

I'm optimistic for AS, mainly going by the cameo at Preston last year. I think then he played around/off of Fam and looked every bit a striker. He then played against Leeds , off of the left and looked lost, although I would say I felt sorry for him as he seemed out of position. He isn't (yet?) a man to lead the line, IMO he would have worked well with Afobe, who's movement was leaving spaces for others to exploit. He has strength, movement and ability , it's just getting him in the best positions to use his assets.

Archived