IGNORED

Semenyo (Merged)

old_eastender

5 hours ago, marcofisher said:

It will come with time, we need them playing. Massengo does the things he does well incredibly well but doesn’t offer anywhere near as much as Nagy and Brownhill in the midfield. 

Both are just very raw in their own particular ways. 

For the record I think that both have done excellently considering their ages and I really hope we don’t bring in a Gary Hooper or Wilfried Bony without giving Semenyo a bit more of a chance to show what he can do. 

Agree.  Massengo has been good (very good if you consider age, new club, country etc), but he has had a couple of average games too, but you dare not post that!!

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He’s definitely got some ability Marco ,though  he’s not a ‘goalscorer’ IMHO per se 

Likely to score more crackers (He has hell of a strike in him)  than tap ins - that sort of scorer !

I’m gonna trust you “not a goalscorer” for now because you have a good eye for finishers, but I think we need to see a run of games.  He hasn’t played as a true striker hardly at all in his professional career.

I have no problems if his goals are if this type.  Look at Cauley Woodrow this season (???) - If he can form a partnership with Weimann that gets goals (however and whoever scores them), I’m not too fussed.  He did a lot more than occupy his CB marker yesterday.  He isn’t a natural mover and can be passive (he’ll learn hopefully to be pro-active), but far better players on paper have had less impact for us.

4 hours ago, jayjay said:

As I recall, that is exactly where he was required to play at Newport.

But that was down to Flynn’s rigid 433 system...doesn’t necessarily mean that’s Semenyo’s natural position.  He looked last for us there last season.

3 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Absolutely, could be that he will find his place as more of a wide attacker.

But we don’t play that system.

I saw more of a partnership between Antoine and Andi yesterday than Famara and Andi at any point...Sheffield Utd (a) the exception to prove the rule.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  Massengo has been good (very good if you consider age, new club, country etc), but he has had a couple of average games too, but you dare not post that!!

I’m gonna trust you “not a goalscorer” for now because you have a good eye for finishers, but I think we need to see a run of games.  He hasn’t played as a true striker hardly at all in his professional career.

I have no problems if his goals are if this type.  Look at Cauley Woodrow this season (???) - If he can form a partnership with Weimann that gets goals (however and whoever scores them), I’m not too fussed.  He did a lot more than occupy his CB marker yesterday.  He isn’t a natural mover and can be passive (he’ll learn hopefully to be pro-active), but far better players on paper have had less impact for us.

But that was down to Flynn’s rigid 433 system...doesn’t necessarily mean that’s Semenyo’s natural position.  He looked last for us there last season.

But we don’t play that system.

I saw more of a partnership between Antoine and Andi yesterday than Famara and Andi at any point...Sheffield Utd (a) the exception to prove the rule.

Ha ha

What I was trying to say Dave was he will score goals but isn’t a 25 goal a season poacher , or at least not atm

You highlighted in this thread or another how Eisa  passes the ball into goal and he’s what I’d say was a poacher / finisher scorer

When I’ve seen Semenyo strike , he strikes with power , and some power it is !

Semenyo looks far the better player btw and will IMHO develop into a double figure scorer 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ha ha

What I was trying to say Dave was he will score goals but isn’t a 25 goal a season poacher , or at least not atm

You highlighted in this thread or another how Eisa  passes the ball into goal and he’s what I’d say was a poacher / finisher scorer

When I’ve seen Semenyo strike , he strikes with power , and some power it is !

Semenyo looks far the better player btw and will IMHO develop into a double figure scorer 

Would you agree that from the little evidence we have, Janneh looks more like a striker than Semenyo?

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Would you agree that from the little evidence we have, Janneh looks more like a striker than Semenyo?

I havnt  seen Janneh live Mozo so a stab really

On clips ive seen of some of his goals I’d probably say yes

Semenyeo will score goals and add to the team play and cohesion IMHO but his goals are likely to be good ins rather than a tap in from a keepers save - it’s the way he plays and runs / movement / positioning atm 

It’s not IMHO always about quantity of goals but a balance on the slider of goals / team(play)  impact

Someone like Eisa may  get you more goals as a poacher but offer little else , manager choices , and maybe the reason Lee didn’t fancy him 

For me , if a forward is not going to get 20+ goals he needs to be offering something else as well

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Semenyeo will score goals and add to the team play and cohesion IMHO but his goals are likely to be good ins rather than a tap in from a keepers save - it’s the way he plays and runs / movement / positioning atm 

It’s not IMHO always about quantity of goals but a balance on the slider of goals / team(play)  impact

Someone like Eisa may  get you more goals as a poacher but offer little else , manager choices , and maybe the reason Lee didn’t fancy him 

For me , if a forward is not going to get 20+ goals he needs to be offering something else as well

Mark Hughes!

(not the ex-City, Rovers and Tranmere CB)

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Admittedly, nowhere near in that class.  If only!

No but Hughes rinsed every ounce of ability out 

Semenyo probably has better technique in some respects (Not Hughes aerial power for one though !) and can be .......’ What he wants to be’

Just have a nagging worry about him when I’ve seen him in terms of that real hunger 

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The dream scenario is for Janneh and Britton to be the goal machines of our future with Semenyo playing off one of them.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sort of

I was trying to quickly think back ....post Garland , Cheese, Ritchie ... ....Mabbutt.......uhmmmm.......uhmmmmmm......

Nigel Hawkins !

Just shows how poor and rather neglected our academy has been for so long.

It’s refreshing to see us started to put money into it, and make it a place that kids want to come to instead of moving to clubs like Southampton etc

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Just shows how poor and rather neglected our academy has been for so long.

It’s refreshing to see us started to put money into it, and make it a place that kids want to come to instead of moving to clubs like Southampton etc

It’s nigh on criminal that in 40 years our academies and youth set ups havnt produced one serious first team forward 

40  years !

Am I missing one ?

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sort of

I was trying to quickly think back ....post Garland , Cheese, Ritchie ... ....Mabbutt.......uhmmmm.......uhmmmmmm......

Nigel Hawkins !

Neither Marvin Brown nor Tristan Plummer scored in a City shirt, despite both representing England at youth level...

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s nigh on criminal that in 40 years our academies and youth set ups havnt produced one serious first team forward 

Fortty years !

Am I missing one ?

Don’t think you are. 

Weve had defenders, midfielders, attacking midfielders all come through and go on to better things.

But to my knowledge, we haven’t had a top academy striker for a long time. Maybe Semenyo can be that player? He’ll be in the England youth set up soon imo and hopefully he can push on from there

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Bobby Reid?

Came through as a midfielder and was converted to a striker, does that count?

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Don’t think you are. 

Weve had defenders, midfielders, attacking midfielders all come through and go on to better things.

But to my knowledge, we haven’t had a top academy striker for a long time. Maybe Semenyo can be that player? He’ll be in the England youth set up soon imo and hopefully he can push on from there

Interesting,  and very optimistic!

At 19, Semenyo has an amazing opportunity to get into that England U21 set up. If (big if) he can nail down a starting place, and impress, then who knows.

I reckon his progress will be more modest but I'd love to be wrong.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Interesting,  and very optimistic!

At 19, Semenyo has an amazing opportunity to get into that England U21 set up. If (big if) he can nail down a starting place, and impress, then who knows.

I reckon his progress will be more modest but I'd love to be wrong.

Looking at the u21 squad I’d be surprised if one or two of them weren’t getting call ups for the first team in the next year, which would give Antoine an opportunity. 

Hes very strong for his age, and some of his control yesterday was sublime with balls being fizzed at him. If he can work on his composure in front of goal then he’ll be a very good all round striker. 

Oh, and football manager rates him highly so that’s good enough for me!

I disagree with those that say Semenyo will not be a goalscorer. Most strikers don't start off scoring loads at 19. In fact most strikers don't even get games at 19.

I can barely think of strikers that score many at that young an age. It seems to take most, even the very best a few years at least to become goalscorers.

Adobe scores goals now. But he only started hitting the net regularly at 21-22 years of age, and in league one (wasn't it?). Not at 19 in the championship.

I bet if we had watched Semenyo when he played for the under 18s, we wouldn't be saying he isn't a natural goalscorer when up against players of his own age.

Haven't had a chance to read through all the threads today, but I was really surprised by Semenyo today.

I've never seen a player like a rabbit in headlights as much as today. I watched him intently...he literally had no idea where to go on the pitch. Everyone around him was trying to get him going, advising etc. I was literally astonished at his lack of understanding and movement and where to be on the pitch.

I get he's young...but I've never witnessed a professional footballer of that age look so clueless in his positioning and movement.

Sounds harsh...but he must be bloody amazing in training. 

I've yet to see what all the fuss is about. 

Like Famara...I want him to do well...but jeez, one of the worst performances I've ever seen when it comes to understanding what to do.

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

Haven't had a chance to read through all the threads today, but I was really surprised by Semenyo today.

I've never seen a player like a rabbit in headlights as much as today. I watched him intently...he literally had no idea where to go on the pitch. Everyone around him was trying to get him going, advising etc. I was literally astonished at his lack of understanding and movement and where to be on the pitch.

I get he's young...but I've never witnessed a professional footballer of that age look so clueless in his positioning and movement.

Like Famara...I want him to do well...but jeez, one of the worst performances I've ever seen when it comes to understanding what to do.

Emperor's new clothes. Absolutely nothing to see. I have no malice to him but utterly ridiculous to have him near this squad. Time may tell but not now.

38 minutes ago, spudski said:

Have to agree, There were a few occasions when had he anticipated where the ball would go, and it wasn't exactly rocket science required, he would've got the ball and been in a great position to threaten. But he remained static. Odd.

3 minutes ago, Bodiesaffer said:

He didn’t look on his game today. Wasn’t up for it.

I got more of an impression he just didn't understand what to do. Not even a natural instinct. He looked in shock...

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Have to agree, There were a few occasions when had he anticipated where the ball would go, and it wasn't exactly rocket science required, he would've got the ball and been in a great position to threaten. But he remained static. Odd.

It's almost as if he was scared to do the wrong thing.

Archived