IGNORED

Semenyo (Merged)

old_eastender

49 minutes ago, spudski said:

Haven't had a chance to read through all the threads today, but I was really surprised by Semenyo today.

I've never seen a player like a rabbit in headlights as much as today. I watched him intently...he literally had no idea where to go on the pitch. Everyone around him was trying to get him going, advising etc. I was literally astonished at his lack of understanding and movement and where to be on the pitch.

I get he's young...but I've never witnessed a professional footballer of that age look so clueless in his positioning and movement.

Sounds harsh...but he must be bloody amazing in training. 

I've yet to see what all the fuss is about. 

Like Famara...I want him to do well...but jeez, one of the worst performances I've ever seen when it comes to understanding what to do.

And to think eisa was bombed out because "he looked lost".

2 minutes ago, forbespm said:

And to think eisa was bombed out because "he looked lost".

I guess he didn't impress in training that's why he wasn't given a chance. Although there's been players in the past who have been said to be a poor trainers but when it's match day step up. In the week Glen Johnson said Fernando Torres was one of the worst trainers he's played with... 

I've not seen anything of Semenyo to suggest he's anything exceptional apart from maybe his strength. Doesn't seem to have that natural strikers instinct.

57 minutes ago, spudski said:

Haven't had a chance to read through all the threads today, but I was really surprised by Semenyo today.

I've never seen a player like a rabbit in headlights as much as today. I watched him intently...he literally had no idea where to go on the pitch. Everyone around him was trying to get him going, advising etc. I was literally astonished at his lack of understanding and movement and where to be on the pitch.

I get he's young...but I've never witnessed a professional footballer of that age look so clueless in his positioning and movement.

Sounds harsh...but he must be bloody amazing in training. 

I've yet to see what all the fuss is about. 

Like Famara...I want him to do well...but jeez, one of the worst performances I've ever seen when it comes to understanding what to do.

He was poor today. But Semenyo clearly has outstanding potential.

He has pace, is ridiculously strong for his age, a good touch and skills, a powerful shot with either foot. 

We've seen glimpses of brilliance - Preston away, Boro and Leicester cup games.

Chelsea and Everton wanted to sign him and probably others too. I certainly see what all the fuss is about. It's just he is about 6-7 years away from his prime, so let's be patient.

I expect it will be some time before he is consistently championship quality. Maybe a loan in January away would be good if he doesn't do enough from now till then.

Saw him play a few times with bath city he was outstanding there headers from corners scoring but and a big but to come to the championship will need time am sorry to say thought he was poor today and the wrong player to bring on but what a future player when he gets big and stronger don't forget his young age still under 20

needs game time in league 1. Without being disrespectful he looks like one of the worst players I've seen in a city shirt.....(he is young and full of potential so I know that isnt the case).

But he isnt ready for this level, not by a long shot.....if anything Brentford and today have proved that.

Excellent potential but let's not rush him.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He was poor today. But Semenyo clearly has outstanding potential.

He has pace, is ridiculously strong for his age, a good touch and skills, a powerful shot with either foot. 

We've seen glimpses of brilliance - Preston away, Boro and Leicester cup games.

Chelsea and Everton wanted to sign him and probably others too. I certainly see what all the fuss is about. It's just he is about 6-7 years away from his prime, so let's be patient.

I expect it will be some time before he is consistently championship quality. Maybe a loan in January away would be good if he doesn't do enough from now till then.

I get the potential...and like you have only seen glimpses in the past.

However...imo...he really needed another season out on loan. I can't help thinking that because of interest elsewhere, we've kept him by promising a quicker pathway into the first team.

Going on first team appearances only, no one would touch him.

The fundamentals just seem none existent...I can forgive lack of experience, but even the energy and willingness of youth is missing.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I've never seen a player like a rabbit in headlights as much as today. I watched him intently...he literally had no idea where to go on the pitch.

Me too. He could be forgiven if he’d come on and ran around like a lunatic, put himself about, chasing down defenders and balls that he probably shouldn’t but he didn’t even do that.

He kind of just mooched about the pitch a bit, looking a bit lost. 

I don’t know, maybe he’s just really laid back ?

11 minutes ago, gazza1982 said:

Love how he is judged on 20 minutes or so of football today. 

He is being judged because the 20 minutes he was on the pitch he didn’t look remotely interested. He should be young and hungry, chasing everything down with his fresh legs but he just looked like he couldn’t be bothered. 

You never know how players will respond to pressure, and this is an opportunity in the big time that he wasn't expecting. You can see the difference between how Massengo has embraced the challenge and Semenyo is shrinking from it. They probably have similar technical ability but it's a mental thing. 

This is still great experience for the kid. He now knows how high the standard is, and he'll now fight to reach it, possibly more medium or long term than short term though.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

I get the potential...and like you have only seen glimpses in the past.

However...imo...he really needed another season out on loan. I can't help thinking that because of interest elsewhere, we've kept him by promising a quicker pathway into the first team.

Going on first team appearances only, no one would touch him.

The fundamentals just seem none existent...I can forgive lack of experience, but even the energy and willingness of youth is missing.

Where do you get the potential from Spud? I've seen him possibly 4 times live and a couple on TV for Newport and other than a nice bit of control and a turn he's been completely ineffectual. Someone earlier mentioned 4 in 20 for Newport which if true is a fairly damning statistic. I've never seen him create an opportunity or look like scoring.

Unfortunately we have an 18 yr old in midfield that demonstrates what true potential is. Accepting that he has more talent than Semenyo can dream of at his disposal, his work rate is stratospheric. I'm not sure what the opposite of that is, but it would fit Semenyo. I'd seriously like someone to point out what I'm missing, because I just don't get it.

The thing that’s concerned me in the last 2 games is that it doesn’t even look like Semenyo is giving 100%. Maybe it’s just that he’s a bit lost but several times today he seemed to be just walking around. 

I know we have to have a home grown player in the 18 but Semenyo looks miles off to me. We’d have been much better keeping Taylor and using him for 20 minutes here and there. 

I really hope that this lad fulfils his potential but he’s definitely not the answer for what we need right now. 

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

You never know how players will respond to pressure, and this is an opportunity in the big time that he wasn't expecting. You can see the difference between how Massengo has embraced the challenge and Semenyo is shrinking from it. They probably have similar technical ability but it's a mental thing. 

This is still great experience for the kid. He now knows how high the standard is, and he'll now fight to reach it, possibly more medium or long term than short term though.

You hope it's just this...however, from my experience, mental fortitude is harder to change than physical.

2 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Where do you get the potential from Spud? I've seen him possibly 4 times live and a couple on TV for Newport and other than a nice bit of control and a turn he's been completely ineffectual. Someone earlier mentioned 4 in 20 for Newport which if true is a fairly damning statistic. I've never seen him create an opportunity or look like scoring.

Unfortunately we have an 18 yr old in midfield that demonstrates what true potential is. Accepting that he has more talent than Semenyo can dream of at his disposal, his work rate is stratospheric. I'm not sure what the opposite of that is, but it would fit Semenyo. I'd seriously like someone to point out what I'm missing, because I just don't get it.

When he has the ball you can see the potential. He is also strong for his age, but that means nothing if he's plateud early. Unfortunately I've not seen enough positives for him to be included in the squad. He's got to be the luckiest youngster at the Club. When you consider Pato and Taylor both moved out on loan.

There are pathways...and then there is this one.

I just hope he proves many of us wrong.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

You hope it's just this...however, from my experience, mental fortitude is harder to change than physical.

When he has the ball you can see the potential. He is also strong for his age, but that means nothing if he's plateud early. Unfortunately I've not seen enough positives for him to be included in the squad. He's got to be the luckiest youngster at the Club. When you consider Pato and Taylor both moved out on loan.

There are pathways...and then there is this one.

I just hope he proves many of us wrong.

I accept that, but genuinely, is a reasonable first touch assuming he doesn't have to put any significant effort in to reach the ball enough?

47 minutes ago, Red94 said:

He is being judged because the 20 minutes he was on the pitch he didn’t look remotely interested. He should be young and hungry, chasing everything down with his fresh legs but he just looked like he couldn’t be bothered. 

That red card last season has sent him backwards i bet hes now told not to chase down and tackle but to try and hold his position more, he was a real talent lj chucked him in last season hoping for a miracle unfortunately it looks like that decision has delayed his progression massively.

Haven’t read a lot of the recent comments but I think he’s not good enough for this level and should be loaned out to a L1 club in Jan. 

LJ gave him more time to prove himself than he gave to Eisa , Gustav and the other strikers we signed.

get a proven striker in through free agency and then send him out to Walsall or Lincoln with the other city lads 

2 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

That red card last season has sent him backwards i bet hes now told not to chase down and tackle but to try and hold his position more, he was a real talent lj chucked him in last season hoping for a miracle unfortunately it looks like that decision has delayed his progression massively.

Don’t wear that at all , it wasn’t just about no tackling or chasing down , he looked like he had just woken up 

Archived