IGNORED

Semenyo (Merged)

old_eastender

I thought taking off Fam was a crazy decision, as we just couldn't get out.

No hold up play, couldn't win a header, looked like he was jogging and gave the ball away. 

Can you get a game time clause inserted for a new contract?? Think we got scared the bigger fish were circling...

Ill give him the benefit mind...

10 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

I thought taking off Fam was a crazy decision, as we just couldn't get out.

No hold up play, couldn't win a header, looked like he was jogging and gave the ball away. 

Can you get a game time clause inserted for a new contract?? Think we got scared the bigger fish were circling...

Ill give him the benefit mind...

Think you have nailed it with the bigger fish comment,the least he should be doing today when coming on is showing effort and that doesn’t mean running about like a nutter but he just didn’t show any signs that he could be arsed in the slightest 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I get the potential...and like you have only seen glimpses in the past.

However...imo...he really needed another season out on loan. I can't help thinking that because of interest elsewhere, we've kept him by promising a quicker pathway into the first team.

Going on first team appearances only, no one would touch him.

The fundamentals just seem none existent...I can forgive lack of experience, but even the energy and willingness of youth is missing.

He was very poor today.  He looked lost.

Imho, he’s done “ok” in the past 2 games (57 and 45 minutes only), Preston better than Brentford.

Today, he came on in a game where we couldn’t get hold of the ball, and he didn’t change that.

I’m not gonna throw a 19 year old’s career in the bin based on 18 minutes.  He didn’t take his chance, maybe he’s gutted he didn’t start.

It might be a performance that makes Lee think he needs a real short term answer.

We currently have 3 fit strikers: Diedhiou, Weimann, and Semenyo. Whatever might be said or thought about the first two, they have scored a reasonable number of Championship goals per appearance when played central upfront.

Semenyo may have potential at this level, but we aren’t seeing it at the moment, and he is still yet to score. And unfortunately most strikers that don’t score much don’t last long. Maybe once he gets a goal he will kick on but compared to the last striker we had at his age (Tammy) he is a long way off those levels of performance or goals as it stands.

For me, he’s just not done enough & yes I know it’s only been the last 3 games or so but he started at both Preston & Brentford & the shirt was his to lose & he’s completely done that!

He hasn’t taken that opportunity & grasped it with both hands, very little effort, very little application & the best little spell he showed was about 2 minutes before he was removed at Preston.

As an 18 / 19 year-old just breaking into the first team & looking like he’s gained his managers trust, I would expect him to be breaking his neck to try & impress but he’s failed on that front, as what was effectively our pivotal front man, he spent so little time occupying the opposition’s centre half’s & even less time in the opposition's penalty area! I’m not sure if the physicality of Championship defenders has scared him but he seems scared to run, put himself about & challenge for balls that he should of been favourite to win let a lone balls that he wasn’t favourite for.

You only have to see the response Massengo got when chasing down Celina & then winning the ball in the second half v Swansea, the crowd will respond to a player putting in a shift, similarly, they’ll respond to a player not putting in a shift & for me, Semenyo just hasn’t shown enough desire & this opportunity was his great chance because he won’t have much longer where his place in the team is between him & one other player as we’re all hoping for at least one or maybe even two new strikers to arrive in January & it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that his odds suddenly diminish!

I look at him and can’t even tell what kind of player he is, he’s shown nothing so far - now it could be we’re not playing to his strengths but I can’t tell if he’s a pacy striker or someone that will hold the ball up.  Does he look lazy to anyone also?

8 hours ago, Fatalist said:

Really want Semenyo to do well but he just seems to have no spark about him. Just watching MOTD and Aaron Connolly at Brighton really showed how a 19 year old can play without fear and take his opportunity.

I watched Connolly and was thinking the same. Semenyo was a joke yesterday and I haven’t seen anything at all from him to suggest he’s up to championship standards.  Perhaps he’s not as good as some on here think he is. 

3 minutes ago, Ashton_Red said:

Can’t see it happening but I would love this thread to be in the Classic thread section when he bangs about 20 goals next season or this season ?

I think most of this thread is just about his poor - and rather odd - performance yesterday rather than a view that he’ll never make it, although I guess a few take the conversation that way! It was just his total lack of energy and movement that disappointed me yesterday; he has shown more desire in the past (eg Preston away last season). 

Have to agree with a lot of these comments.

Obviously we all want the lad to do well but I have seen nothing in him yet that portrays the potential he is supposed to have.

His performance yesterday wasn’t just poor it was odd. Lack lustre, disinterested and with no determinable skill. He was also as my mate next to me said hesitant, which is a really weird attribute to have when he should be grabbing the opportunity with everything he has.

Maybe he’s nervous, maybe carrying an injury I don’t know but that was a very poor showing yesterday. 

11 hours ago, mozo said:

You never know how players will respond to pressure, and this is an opportunity in the big time that he wasn't expecting. You can see the difference between how Massengo has embraced the challenge and Semenyo is shrinking from it. They probably have similar technical ability but it's a mental thing. 

This is still great experience for the kid. He now knows how high the standard is, and he'll now fight to reach it, possibly more medium or long term than short term though.

You’re right about not knowing how players will respond to pressure. There was a good quote by Eddie Jones in the Telegraph on Saturday about the rugby World Cup - “A team is like a tea bag. You don’t know how good it is until you put it in hot water”. Well, Semenyo was put in hot water and produced an undrinkable cup of tea

35 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

After watching a very disappointing sub's appearance from Semenyo, I thought that had Watkins come on instead he couldn't have done any less. And I really don't rate Watkins.

I was saying this was the game for Watkins to go up top in the last 20. He might not be the best technically, but he works hard and has some power and pace. Just that alone might have helped the rest of our team a bit more. 

I do trust LJ with this though. I imagine Semenyo is looking quality in training up against our very good defenders, and just needs more time to try to reproduce that on match days. We know if LJ does not think a player has the capabilities to do what he asks then he simply won't play them. Mo Eisa is an example of that.

11 hours ago, Kibs said:

Me too. He could be forgiven if he’d come on and ran around like a lunatic, put himself about, chasing down defenders and balls that he probably shouldn’t but he didn’t even do that.

He kind of just mooched about the pitch a bit, looking a bit lost. 

I don’t know, maybe he’s just really laid back ?

Perhaps he is still very pissed off that he didn't get that Chelsea move ?

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He was very poor today.  He looked lost.

Imho, he’s done “ok” in the past 2 games (57 and 45 minutes only), Preston better than Brentford.

Today, he came on in a game where we couldn’t get hold of the ball, and he didn’t change that.

I’m not gonna throw a 19 year old’s career in the bin based on 18 minutes.  He didn’t take his chance, maybe he’s gutted he didn’t start.

It might be a performance that makes Lee think he needs a real short term answer.

@Davefevs

I think his performance yesterday, may provide the tipping point to getting someone else in until Jan.

Frankly amazing that we as a club, have no options from the under 23s to step up; and calls into question our entire policy over strikers over the last 12 months.

LJ stated at the end of last season that only 59 goals was one of the reasons we didn't get promoted. Yet quickly reduced the striker numbers with getting rid of Eisa, with no-one coming in.

We seem to have been obsessed with getting Eddie in, at the expense of bringing in the  2/3 other forwards  that were needed. It was always obvious that Taylor was going, but there seemed  no planning for either his or Eisa's replacements.

As others have said Semenyeo looks miles away from being at the required standard. An injury to Fammy, and then what?

Even with Afobe coming in, We were short; and that would have been the same situation with Niketa.

Yes, we are at the top end of the scoring charts. But that won't continue. Take out the Preston game; where baker and Moore scored from set pieces; and we have scored 1 goal in the last 3 games.

2 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

@Davefevs

I think his performance yesterday, may provide the tipping point to getting someone else in until Jan.

Frankly amazing that we as a club, have no options from the under 23s to step up; and calls into question our entire policy over strikers over the last 12 months.

LJ stated at the end of last season that only 59 goals was one of the reasons we didn't get promoted. Yet quickly reduced the striker numbers with getting rid of Eisa, with no-one coming in.

We seem to have been obsessed with getting Eddie in, at the expense of bringing in the  2/3 other forwards  that were needed. It was always obvious that Taylor was going, but there seemed  no planning for either his or Eisa's replacements.

As others have said Semenyeo looks miles away from being at the required standard. An injury to Fammy, and then what?

Even with Afobe coming in, We were short; and that would have been the same situation with Niketa.

Yes, we are at the top end of the scoring charts. But that won't continue. Take out the Preston game; where baker and Moore scored from set pieces; and we have scored 1 goal in the last 3 games.

I am thinking now the only option is Weimann up top with someone in behind him. Whether that's a runner like O'Dowda who can support him, or Palmer but then will he be too isolated. LJ may need to try different options. Szmodics could play there. 

The only proper strike partners we have for Weimann is Diedhiou who for me doesn't usually work at all. Semenyo we can't rely on, he might even be brilliant next time he comes on, but we just don't know. Only other option is Marley Watkins, who is actually probably the best suited to being Weimann's strike partner in that he works hard and presses, has decent enough mobility. Not saying Watkins is the answer, but he is more the type of player we need up there with Weimann.

I can't believe we were not looking at one more striker to come in. Maybe it fell through on deadline day.

The good thing is we are somehow still managing to stay unbeaten, and in a great position. I do believe there can be ways around this problem with what he have, but it will take some very clever coaching from LJ when on paper we don't really have many goals up top at all.

As long as we get to January in a fairly decent position, then hopefully we can bring in one, maybe even two forwards and then who knows how well we can do in the second part of our season.

23 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

@Davefevs

I agree with a fair bit with what you say but in the last paragraph you state that take away Baker and Moore's goals from set pieces in the Preston game and we've scored one goal in the last 3 games. But I make it 3 goals in the last 3 games and I wouldn't discount Baker and Moore's goals because they were goals so 5 in the last 3.

12 hours ago, Red94 said:

He is being judged because the 20 minutes he was on the pitch he didn’t look remotely interested. He should be young and hungry, chasing everything down with his fresh legs but he just looked like he couldn’t be bothered. 

Like Massenga.

50 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I agree with a fair bit with what you say but in the last paragraph you state that take away Baker and Moore's goals from set pieces in the Preston game and we've scored one goal in the last 3 games. But I make it 3 goals in the last 3 games and I wouldn't discount Baker and Moore's goals because they were goals so 5 in the last 3.

Apologies, you are quite right. Forgot Brentford was 1-1.

I can forgive a lack of talent or experience, but he had just 18 minutes to inject some urgency up front where we needed him to chase down and be an utter nuisance.

To watch Weimann sprint past him after playing the whole match was just unforgivable. I hope some of the experienced players gave him an earful after the match because when you are up against it, the minimum as a sub is effort.

Matty Taylor wasn't the best at this level but you could never accuse his multiple sub appearances of lacking effort.

I don't think it's harsh for some of the older more experienced players to let him know or anyone else for that matter, that they aren't doing enough in games.

Archived