IGNORED

Semenyo (Merged)

old_eastender

Don't know what it was with Semenyeo yesterday. He just seemed to be in a complete daze.

Graham and I were watching him as the balls were going past him. He didn't seem to react or even anticipate what was happening. Either offensively or defensively.

When KP came on eventually(should have been at least 10-15 mins earlier); I feared he was going to be taken off, he was that bad. God knows what that would have done for his confidence; but it would have been totally justifable.

As others have said; to see players that had been on the pitch all game go sprinting past him was unforgivable.

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Saturday's anonymous performance - on top of other anonymous performances - just make me think he isn't ready for this league.

Wish we'd loaned him out to L1 and kept Matty.

We need a club developed player!!  Of course LJ could name 6 subs ???

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We need a club developed player!!  Of course LJ could name 6 subs ???

Maybe he isn't the one then. Hadn't developed more than just canter round the pitch at a steady jog.

What disappointed me was he didn't even sprint to get a loose ball when it was within range.

Weimann had run like a rocket for 70 minutes but still was twice as quick as the "fresh legs" of Semenyo.

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Maybe he isn't the one then. Hadn't developed more than just canter round the pitch at a steady jog.

What disappointed me was he didn't even sprint to get a loose ball when it was within range.

Weimann had run like a rocket for 70 minutes but still was twice as quick as the "fresh legs" of Semenyo.

He was bloody awful yesterday....he looked away with the fairies.

Disappointing as it was, he’s young, thought he did ok in the two tough away games.  Would be good to understand why he was so lacklustre though.

He hasn’t become an un-talented player overnight.

Did I hear LJ say he’s on stand-by for England u19s in Spain?

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

I really don’t understand whether people are lazy/“bantering” when writing his name, but it’s bloody annoying/not funny. Literally is an easy name to spell.

YEP. Think people are confusing his gender. Obviously his surname is spanish and they're using MassengA as the  feminine.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Disappointing as it was, he’s young, thought he did ok in the two tough away games.  Would be good to understand why he was so lacklustre though.

I'd not write him off. Just think he's a young player in need of more game time to develop, in the slightly more forgiving environs of L1. 

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You say he did ok in the away games.... I was at Brentford and I thought he was totally anonymous there too. Diedhiou is far from perfect but he puts himself about and gives us an outlet up front, however cumbersome he can appear.

Games at this level seem to be just pass Semenyo by from what I’ve seen. I’m sure he’ll improve but at the moment he’s miles off. 

2 minutes ago, Jacki said:

You say he did ok in the away games.... I was at Brentford and I thought he was totally anonymous there too.
he wasn’t in the game all the time, but there were flashes....remember he only got 45 minutes too.

Diedhiou is far from perfect but he puts himself about and gives us an outlet up front, however cumbersome he can appear.

that’s the issue, Diedhiou hadn’t always put himself about and given us an outlet.  If he played like he did for 55 minutes yesterday each week, I’d have no qualms about his selection in Afobe’s absence.  But imho he hasn’t given that level of performance this season...until yesterday.  Maybe being left out in favour of Semenyo stirred him into action.  Much more of a handful yesterday.  Long may it continue.

Games at this level seem to be just pass Semenyo by from what I’ve seen. I’m sure he’ll improve but at the moment he’s miles off. 
he’s certainly not involved enough.  That is an area he needs to improve.  

If all of our players were of the ability they were when they were 19 then Semenyo would be one of our best players.

And I would say striker is the hardest position to play at such a young age at championship level. 

Anyone know what teams were involved in that under 18s tournament we won a year or so back? I think Zenit St Petersburg were one of the sides. Pretty sure there were some fairly big european clubs involved. Semenyo won 2nd best player of the tournament award and scored the only goal in the final.

Chelsea, Everton and not sure who else wanted him. He is now standby for England under 19s. England who now pretty much have the best youth coming through, winning world and european cups. He must be half decent.

He went to Bath, was mainly on the bench, then I think he started playing and quickly became a bit too good for that level. 

He then went to Newport, was not great at first, but by the end Newport fans were raving about him, and really didn't want us to recall him. That Leicester game was incredible to see, Leicester full back Simpson I think, and Albrighton doubling up to try and deal with him and Antoine was unplayable.

That was a successful loan as a left winger. He has made rapid progress, especially considering he hasn't been through an academy (I don't think!?).

So now he is jumping up 2 leagues, trying to play in a different, much more demanding position in the middle of the pitch. He was a midfielder, and he became a striker when playing for SGS College, so not like he's had years in an academy learning the role. He has loads to learn, but at his age to have even shown the bits he has gets me seriously excited. The fact he can have defenders bouncing off of him, can run quickly and powerfully, can do a trick and shoot with either foot, it is the reason why he is so highly rated.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The fact he can have defenders bouncing off of him, can run quickly and powerfully, can do a trick and shoot with either foot, it is the reason why he is so highly rated.

Unfortunately he didn't do any of that yesterday, Jon.

In fact, from Dolman E31 I was more likely to get the ball in the net.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Unfortunately he didn't do any of that yesterday, Jon.

In fact, from Dolman E31 I was more likely to get the ball in the net.

I know he didn't do it yesterday. I am saying he is capable of doing it. He has shown he can do that, and for whatever reason he didn't yesterday. I personally think he froze in front of our home crowd.

Can someone with better knowledge than me explain what is so good about him.  I've yet to see him do anything at all, I get that he's been chucked in at the deep end due to injuries, but I just don't see the amazing player that some seem to think he is.  I only saw him have 1 touch on Saturday and that was a misplaced pass to a Reading player.  Is Marley Watkins so bad that he can't get a run out?

On 05/10/2019 at 23:14, Jacki said:

The thing that’s concerned me in the last 2 games is that it doesn’t even look like Semenyo is giving 100%. Maybe it’s just that he’s a bit lost but several times today he seemed to be just walking around. 

I know we have to have a home grown player in the 18 but Semenyo looks miles off to me. We’d have been much better keeping Taylor and using him for 20 minutes here and there. 

I really hope that this lad fulfils his potential but he’s definitely not the answer for what we need right now. 

Three games in a week for the lad and the sudden responsibility as a first teamer may have taken a bit out of him .

I have seen some nice touches and threaded passes but perhaps he is a bit in awe of the senior strikers to make the penalty area his own .

It is early days , does he merit a first team place over Famara ?

No is my reply .

He needs to be introduced as a 70 minute sub and actually affect games because at the moment he is not .

Wes Burns looked a more dangerous player and he hardly ever scored for us either. 

Let’s hope he clicks PDQ as we are not overendowed with strikers.

36 minutes ago, fishy said:

Can someone with better knowledge than me explain what is so good about him.  I've yet to see him do anything at all, I get that he's been chucked in at the deep end due to injuries, but I just don't see the amazing player that some seem to think he is.  I only saw him have 1 touch on Saturday and that was a misplaced pass to a Reading player.  Is Marley Watkins so bad that he can't get a run 

I don't rate him at all. He's 19 years old and should be buzzing when he steps onto the pitch but he just looks lazy and uninterested. If we are to play Semenyo anywhere it should be on the wing, but we already have the likes of Eliasson and COD so I can't quite see where he fits. I know it's early days but in my opinion he should've spent longer on loan at Newport 

He did win a header. I saw it. Didn’t go to our player, but he definitely won it. 

I thought initially he was just being out-muscled. But he’s a decent unit. He was taller and more muscular than the guy on the left of Reading’s defence who was marking him when he was moved across the pitch.

I have no idea what he brings to the party though. Looked like a rabbit in headlights.

Maybe he will come good, the platform was there seemingly for him to make an impact. However, he’s fluffed his lines for whatever reason and, needs a break from first team action. Let’s hope it’s a form/confidence thing rather than his head being turned by Premier League interest.

Time to give Watkins a second go.

Actually, maybe that was LJs plan ... fans now desperate for Watkins to play. Clever stuff.

I think  have worked out why I was getting worked up about some of the stuff said about Semenyo. He didnt cover himself in glory in his short cameo on Saturday that is for sure (although I would want Kasey Palmer on shooting practice after his attempts with a clear sight on goal v Brentford and PNE), its that he has played well at away grounds and many don’t get to see that.

The kid is doing ok. One iffy 11 mins but in general is part of a squad that has us within two points of the top and is getting game time at this level. He is going to be a star someday, don’t drive him out!

1 hour ago, fishy said:

Can someone with better knowledge than me explain what is so good about him.  I've yet to see him do anything at all, I get that he's been chucked in at the deep end due to injuries, but I just don't see the amazing player that some seem to think he is.  I only saw him have 1 touch on Saturday and that was a misplaced pass to a Reading player.  Is Marley Watkins so bad that he can't get a run out?

He is rated as a superb player for his age. Has shown glimpses of a brilliant player, doing things that hardly any 19 year olds can do.

I guess LJ is seeing that in training and thinks it's only a matter of time till he reproduces that on the pitch.

He looked very nervous on Saturday. I think so far he has struggled for confidence in front of our home crowd.

LJ has previously seen a players best position as something rather different than the role they have actually done well in, against Reading he looked rather like a very inexperienced boy attempting to replace the lump it up to me 9 that had just gone off! Not something he has been used to in the past, his decision or just following instructions? Certainly not the very mobile way he played when with Bath and Newport
There are 2 other squad members that are not playing in the position that other rather more experienced coaches had them in, which could also be costing us goal scoring opportunities!

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

He did win a header. I saw it. Didn’t go to our player, but he definitely won it. 

I thought initially he was just being out-muscled. But he’s a decent unit. He was taller and more muscular than the guy on the left of Reading’s defence who was marking him when he was moved across the pitch.

I have no idea what he brings to the party though. Looked like a rabbit in headlights.

Maybe he will come good, the platform was there seemingly for him to make an impact. However, he’s fluffed his lines for whatever reason and, needs a break from first team action. Let’s hope it’s a form/confidence thing rather than his head being turned by Premier League interest.

Time to give Watkins a second go.

Actually, maybe that was LJs plan ... fans now desperate for Watkins to play. Clever stuff.

Not the most positive chart I’ve ever posted.

C4D5DC95-DA2B-4894-8AA4-410CE2AC5EE9.jpeg

Archived