IGNORED

Mistake letting Eisa go?

BCFC11

Anyone think we made a mistake in letting Mo leave? Especially now we are now abit short on strikers. He Wasn’t given decent run in the side to show what he could do here. Granted L1 is a much lower standard of football but he’s banging them in for P’boro he’s now scored 8 in 10 league games. Keep on like that and with P’boro’s past history they’ll be selling him for £10m come the summer.

2 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Anyone think we made a mistake in letting Mo leave? Especially now we are now abit short on strikers. He Wasn’t given decent run in the side to show what he could do here. Granted L1 is a much lower standard of football but he’s banging them in for P’boro he’s now scored 8 in 10 league games. Keep on like that and with P’boro’s past history they’ll be selling him for £10m come the summer.

Good. Hefty sell on for us.

1 minute ago, BCFC11 said:

Eisa had ample opportunity when he was at AG to show that he had the ability to make the step up to Championship standard. Unfortunately he wasn’t quite good enough so he was let go. 

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Eisa had ample opportunity when he was at AG to show that he had the ability to make the step up to Championship standard. Unfortunately he wasn’t quite good enough so he was let go. 

Disagree with that, all he had was 22mins of Championship football and a League Cup game v Plymouth.

It’s an interesting one. The coaches had the chance to watch him closely last year in training, u23’s etc and made the call that he wasn’t currently making the grade in the championship. With Semenyo and Janneh etc there is also competition in the squad for young forwards. 

I imagine at the time of selling, it was a combination of how much game time will he get this season, which of the younger forwards we want to invest in longer term and ultimately (like with Pack) he was a player that we could command a decent fee for when we clearly needed to balance up the books this summer.

Selling him had, of course, a level of gamble/risk of him going and finding form as he’s done. I’m sure a decent sell on fee is included and maybe even a buy back deal of some sort knowing MA. 

Of course now we ask the question, should we have let him go? Well, he’d have been warming the bench at best until Afobe got injured. Now? History tells us the step up from league 1 to champ is a tough, tough one. I’m still not convinced he’d be featuring now to be honest.

Easy to say it should have been a loan deal - but I’m guessing it was equally a financial decision to let him go, as I say, to help balance to books a little after a big summer of spending.

26 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Doesn’t invalidate the point being made though does it. It’s fair to point out that Eisa is doing well at Posh, and our striker options are sorely limited. Maybe we could score even more than we are.

He had his opportunity...the previous post by Alessandro is spot on imo.

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think it's a fair question. If we hadn't already owned him, we'd be scouting him right now.

Exactly so the manager has seen him up close for a couple of seasons and didn’t rate him and won’t be buying him for the 6 mill Peterborough will try to get in the future,saved us chucking big money for him down the drain in future 

LJ saw him in training all season so i trust his judgement.

To me he lacks any strength at this level if up against the standard of centre backs in our league. He hasn't a good first touch and lacks skill. 

If Mo looked poor the whole time in training when up against our centre backs, then he isn't going to magically look good in championship games. 

He was not even close to our first team. He might improve but I'm not sure if he will ever improve enough to be technically or physically strong enough for this level. Which LJ must think to let him go.

Ex player scores a bag full of goals in a lower league.

Only rational for hanging on to that player was if we had plans to be playing in said lower league next season.

Move on, use the cash to buy young Massengo a house for his family and settle in with a club that has his well being as priority...

18 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Big step up from league one to championship-lots of players that score freely in league one but struggle with the physicality of the championship. Matty Taylor, baldock, Marriott etc

We are trying to make the step up to the next level and need a striker who influence the play and score goals-like afobe was!

Agree with Taylor and Baldock although he had 1 good season. However Marriott got double figures in his first Championship season and has done well when played so I think he’s definitely made the step up 

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

LJ saw him in training all season so i trust his judgement.

To me he lacks any strength at this level if up against the standard of centre backs in our league. He hasn't a good first touch and lacks skill. 

If Mo looked poor the whole time in training when up against our centre backs, then he isn't going to magically look good in championship games. 

He was not even close to our first team. He might improve but I'm not sure if he will ever improve enough to be technically or physically strong enough for this level. Which LJ must think to let him go.

⬇️

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Based on the style of his goals on YouTube and at lower levels, yes he has a goal scores instinct, but I question whether he had/has the all-round game for the Championship.

He never got a proper crack but then wasn't he out injured for a while too? That didn't help!

He did get injured early on, that didn’t help.

He is a calm finisher, someone who side-foots them in.  Has good anticipation too.  All this from tv clips, it’s obvious he knows where the net is.  The 20 minutes I saw of him was someone who is not gonna contribute to the overall build-up.  He would probably score goals at any side that can accommodate a finisher.

We made our money back, we have a sell-on option, and Peterborough have a habit of selling strikers for £s!  Some you win, some you lose, this one is somewhere in between.

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

In regards to this. Woodrow got 16 in league 1 last year and we all know how well that loan spell went. Taylor has 2 in 2 for Oxford and was top scorer in league 1 for the sags before he joined us he has 6 Championship goals to his name for us.

Archived