IGNORED

Mistake letting Eisa go?

BCFC11

5 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Agree with Taylor and Baldock although he had 1 good season. However Marriott got double figures in his first Championship season and has done well when played so I think he’s definitely made the step up 

Thought Baldock had an okay Championship record?

Marriott's done okay. Age and good all-round game gives room for growth too.

Taylor though not great goalscoring wise also contributed assists- shouldn't be overlooked in a strikers contribution. First half season especially helped us to stay up.

Semenyo isn’t 20 until January.  I thought he offered more to our ability to attack than a typical Diedhiou performance.  I thought he did some good work down the left channel.  When you look at his sequence of appearances this season:

9FCDAD34-E81C-4B06-9164-D79E24CD735B.thumb.jpeg.9053011fcdc2315e13e2b16e623681d1.jpeg

Suspended | Unused Sub | Start (cup) | Unused Sub | Unused Sub | Sub | Sub | Sub | Start - he’s hardly had any sort of run.  Strikers like confidence.

Lets give him 5/6 starts in the next 7/8 games and see where we are.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Eisa had ample opportunity when he was at AG to show that he had the ability to make the step up to Championship standard. Unfortunately he wasn’t quite good enough so he was let go. 

Howdid he have ample opportunity? How do you know what he was like in training? Maybe our coaching staff have got it wrong? What I do know is that it is typical of Peterborough to buy cheap and sell for massive profit, maybe they know a decent striker when they see one? 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Semenyo isn’t 20 until January.  I thought he offered more to our ability to attack than a typical Diedhiou performance.  I thought he did some good work down the left channel.  When you look at his sequence of appearances this season:

9FCDAD34-E81C-4B06-9164-D79E24CD735B.thumb.jpeg.9053011fcdc2315e13e2b16e623681d1.jpeg

Suspended | Unused Sub | Start (cup) | Unused Sub | Unused Sub | Sub | Sub | Sub | Start - he’s hardly had any sort of run.  Strikers like confidence.

Lets give him 5/6 starts in the next 7/8 games and see where we are.

and even more importantly a couple goals and off we go

7 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Howdid he have ample opportunity? How do you know what he was like in training? Maybe our coaching staff have got it wrong? What I do know is that it is typical of Peterborough to buy cheap and sell for massive profit, maybe they know a decent striker when they see one? 

Eisa in the opinion of LJ, Macca and Deano  simply did not show enough Championship quality in training to force himself into the matchday reckoning so he was let go - no doubt there will be a sell on clause should Eisa move on again,

It happens very regularly at most clubs that younger players are let go. Some will develop later and others end up in non league. That’s the way it goes in football.

Is it possible to look superb in training and be useless during matchday?

A lot of people on here seem to think eisa was crap in training,but you can't say he had ample opportunitys.he barely played and actually looked pretty good v forest.

We will never know if he can cut it in the championship unless he plays in the championship,which he might do with Peterborough.

5 minutes ago, forbespm said:

A lot of people on here seem to think eisa was crap in training,but you can't say he had ample opportunitys.he barely played and actually looked pretty good v forest.

Eisa got ample opportunity in training.......but he clearly didn’t show enough to convince LJ, Deano and Macca that he was Championship ready.

The game he played in, LJ said not long after that Eisa had looked ‘a little lost’ which is exactly what I thought when he came on. The bottom line is that Eisa wasn’t quite good enough. However players mature at different stages and he might end up playing for Posh in the Championship. Then if he starts banging them in we can say that he was one that got away,

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Eisa got ample opportunity in training.......but he clearly didn’t show enough to convince LJ, Deano and Macca that he was Championship ready.

The game he played in, LJ said not long after that Eisa had looked ‘a little lost’ which is exactly what I thought when he came on. The bottom line is that Eisa wasn’t quite good enough. However players mature at different stages and he might end up playing for Posh in the Championship. Then if he starts banging them in we can say that he was one that got away,

I thought marly watkins looked a little lost  last season too,but they obviously see something in certain players.

The amount of Hindsight Quarter Backs for a forum not dedicated to the American Code of Football is astounding. 

I would of done this we shoulda done that. :laugh:

The manager love him or hate him felt he wasn’t what he wanted/needed for the way he wanted to play. Posh came in with a bid that put us in profit with a sizable sell on and he also made the decision in conjunction with the majority shareholder to keep Semenyo and not sell to Chelsea when we could have 

We are close to the top of the league with three games that we would back ourselves in coming up and have an 18/19 year old getting game time. On top of that the value of our investment in Eisa is going up. Would he be better than Semenyo who knows. But LJ clearly didn’t think he was his best option nor did Ashton or SL. 

TOUCHDOWN!!

8 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Anyone think we made a mistake in letting Mo leave? Especially now we are now abit short on strikers. He Wasn’t given decent run in the side to show what he could do here. Granted L1 is a much lower standard of football but he’s banging them in for P’boro he’s now scored 8 in 10 league games. Keep on like that and with P’boro’s past history they’ll be selling him for £10m come the summer.

Been saying it for months. BIG mistake.:argh:

7 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Yep your correct...........a decent League 1 striker.   If Peterboro' come up to the Championship next season we will see?  However he will not get the chance to test out our back line, as hopefully we will be in the Prem?

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

He didn't show the right attitude in training, hence not making the team. He wasn't keen on going out on loan either.

These threads always seem to pop up after we've not won.  

We have retained a significant interest in him, what that means I'm not quite sure. So with that in mind I'm absolutely delighted a player we still have a significant interest in is banging in the goals, long may in continue.

26 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

He didn't show the right attitude in training, hence not making the team. He wasn't keen on going out on loan either.

These threads always seem to pop up after we've not won.  

We have retained a significant interest in him, what that means I'm not quite sure. So with that in mind I'm absolutely delighted a player we still have a significant interest in is banging in the goals, long may in continue.

Couple of things on your post, First of all I’d find it highly unlikely we’d of signed him if he didn’t have the right attitude, especially signing him from GJ’s Cheltenham where LJ would of had a lot more info on Eisa than any of his other signings.

Secondly I started this thread after seeing that Eisa who we sold in the summer scored another 2 yesterday, who wasn’t given enough game time to prove himself here, nothing else so it has absolutely fuckall to do with us not winning yesterday, I’d of taken a draw all day long, given our record v PNE. You won’t find a City fan happier than me at how our season has and how our Club is progressing year on year. 

Johnson must have seen him in training against better centre backs than what is in league one, and Mo must have been struggling. 

Maybe he's very good league one, not good enough for high end championship?

32 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i dont think mo was given a chance to show how good he was or if he could handle championship football. how someone can say he had ample  chances is behond me. i do think we need to sign a striker in jan or even a free signing just to help us cover the injuries. 

LJ isn’t going to select any player if they fail to impress at Failand and that’s pretty much what happened with Eisa. The cameo he got against Forest (I think) exposed his lack of anticipation and movement and he looked out of his depth. Not long afterwards LJ said that Eisa had ‘looked a little lost’.......

Theres a huge gap in standard between League 1 and the Championship and scoring in the lower leagues doesn’t always mean that the player will be able to make the step up as proved with Eisa.

You could argue that the biggest mistake was not giving him a run in the first team last season.  For me, this is a black mark against Lee Johnson.

I know very well, and no doubt we all do, that some players do not always perform well in training - it could be a motivational or psychological aspect.

But give them a run of games in the first team and the improved confidence / understanding of what is expected, and then Eisa WOULD have scored goals last season, not too far fetched to suggest 7 or 8 at least.

Those goals may have secured the play off spot for us.  We will never know of course, but all the same, to me that seems like the mistake.

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ isn’t going to select any player if they fail to impress at Failand and that’s pretty much what happened with Eisa. The cameo he got against Forest (I think) exposed his lack of anticipation and movement and he looked out of his depth. Not long afterwards LJ said that Eisa had ‘looked a little lost’.......

Theres a huge gap in standard between League 1 and the Championship and scoring in the lower leagues doesn’t always mean that the player will be able to make the step up as proved with Eisa.

You cannot judge him on 20 minutes of football at any standard let alone Championship, with that attitude Aden Flint would of left us within a few games. 

3 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

You cannot judge him on 20 minutes of football at any standard let alone Championship, with that attitude Aden Flint would of left us within a few games. 

20mins of game time In a tough Championship match was enough for LJ, Deano and Macca  to see that Eisa wasn’t quite up to the required standard.

Remember that all three coaches would have seen him at Failand against Championship defenders and decided to include Eisa. In the matchday squad but unfortunately for him  he failed to impress in the 20odd mins he got.

Few more points for thought:

Last season, it was Semenyo being courted with a big move UPWARDS, not Eisa. Semenyo was the one given game time from Jan onwards - was there room in the team, let alone match day squad for both?

Secondly - a point alluded to in MA’s recent interview when he said LJ was able to make or accept the tough, brave decisions that had to be made this summer regarding recruitment. Pack was given as an example, perhaps Eisa was another.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No

My viewpoint is that LJ, Holden and McCalister would have seen enough of him in training to have seen that he wasn’t up to championship standard. 

If a player isn’t performing well enough in training he shouldn’t be picked, and that’s probably what happened with Eisa. Then when he did get game time (albeit limited) he didn’t look up to championship standard either

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You laugh all you like RR whilst continuing to talk thro yer backside ?

With your understanding and knowledge I actually see it as an endorsement 

Bob....explain what you saw in Eisa’s cameo that all three professional coaches failed to see.

Archived