IGNORED

Mistake letting Eisa go?

BCFC11

29 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

But given our current striker issues, it is reasonable to ask the question. We have recent experience of a striker who was good at League 1 level but not couldn’t cope with the jump up in quality at Championship level (Agard), but given that Semenyo looks out of his depth, and unlikely to score any time soon, while Eisa is scoring freely for Peterborough, you do wonder if Mo might be getting game time right now if he were still with us. I am sure the thought will have crossed LJ’s mind too, although he can’t allow himself too many regrets, mistake or not.

Reasonable to ask the question. But as far as LJ is concerned he is worse than pretty much all the strikers we have. LJ is not scared to try things, and he would not give Eisa games for a reason. 

Peterborough fans say apart from his goals he is skinny and lightweight, not a very good touch, and doesn't really put the effort in that Ivan Toney does alongside him.

He is playing at a much worse level with chances fed to him by Maddison and Toney - 2 of the best attacking players in that league. Toney really looks a striker i'd like here.

Matty Taylor has a much better all round game and is scoring goals in league one. It's a much worse level.

On 29/09/2019 at 15:42, Robbored said:

Eisa made the matchday squad on only a few occasions - why? Because LJ nor his assistants thought he’d shown enough in the training matches at Failand and up against Championship defenders despite having ample opportunity to impress them. 

LJ isn’t going to risk any player in the first team if he feels that they’re not quite up to it.

How does he make that decision? - by observing how they perform at Failand and that’s exactly why training is so very crucial.

Watkins?

2 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Watkins?

LJ said pre match that Watkins has been ‘working hard and impressing’ in training. He also said that MW never complains about not getting starts and simply ‘gets his head down’ and thought he deserved an opportunity.

Unfortunately he didn’t do enough last night.

9 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Watkins?

Is better than Eisa according to LJ.

He is stronger and better in air and works harder. Better on ball too I reckon. At this level you have to be a lot more than a finisher.

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He wouldn't even get on our bench now so it really wasn't a mistake. Johnson didnt rate him at all.

If he wouldn't get on our bench behind Antoine "no touches" Semeyo and the released-by-his-last-club Rodri, that would say more about Lee's judgement than it would say about Eisa's ability. 

He got 25 minutes of game time with us. Written off wayyyy too early.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If he wouldn't get on our bench behind Antoine "no touches" Semeyo and the released-by-his-last-club Rodri, that would say more about Lee's judgement than it would say about Eisa's ability. 

He got 25 minutes of game time with us. Written off wayyyy too early.

Rodri seems to be better on the ball and looks fairly strong for his size. Spanish 2nd tier is stronger than league one and Rodri played most games in a team that gained promotion from there.

Eisa being lightweight and not a good touch means he offers nothing for how LJ wants his strikers to play.

Semenyo probably offers more in his general game too than Eisa. At least Semenyo is strong and has decent touch. So far Semenyo has not done it when we have been sitting back, but Eisa wouldn't offer anything if he can't hold it up and doesn't press very well.

Just now, JonDolman said:

Rodri seems to be better on the ball and looks fairly strong for his size. Spanish 2nd tier is stronger than league one and Rodri played most games in a team that gained promotion from there.

Eisa being lightweight and not a good touch means he offers nothing for how LJ wants his strikers to play.

Semenyo probably offers more in his general game too than Eisa. At least Semenyo is strong and has decent touch. So far Semenyo has not done it when we have been sitting back, but Eisa wouldn't offer anything if he can't hold it up and doesn't press very well.

I thought Eisa looked better in his 22 minutes than Semeyo has in his God knows how many, and the last time Rodri played for us he didn't touch the ball. He was most prolific in the Spanish third tier incidentally.

So, the decision to release Eisa at this present time, looks like a mistake to me. The decision to loan out Taylor likewise. 

33 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought Eisa looked better in his 22 minutes than Semeyo has in his God knows how many, and the last time Rodri played for us he didn't touch the ball. He was most prolific in the Spanish third tier incidentally.

So, the decision to release Eisa at this present time, looks like a mistake to me. The decision to loan out Taylor likewise. 

I totally agree with, you but we seem to be in the minority, seems that you can't criticise the management at this moment in time even though he appears to be the answer to our prayers oh! well, never mind.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

LJ said pre match that Watkins has been ‘working hard and impressing’ in training. He also said that MW never complains about not getting starts and simply ‘gets his head down’ and thought he deserved an opportunity.

Unfortunately he didn’t do enough last night.

I thought he was one of the better performers , got hooked because he ran himself into the ground and cramped up .

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Imagine genuinely thinking he wasn’t up to the level based on seeing him for about 18 minutes of league football. 

Just hope we have a big sell on because he will go for huge money to a champ club 

Then most likely get found out and sold back to League 1 again.

Cannot believe that this old chestnut is still going......why can't people accept the opinion of coaches who saw him in training for over 40 weeks, he scored for Peterboro against Blackpool and will continie to score goals at a level that is below ours.......he gets more space and time in the lower leagues, good luck to him, but people who know a lot more about football than forum posters decided that he wasn't up to standard..........just move on.

12 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

We will get to see how good he really is at this level when he inevitably gets sold for multiple millions to a Championship club at the end of this season. That'll settle debate one way or the other. 

Yep. Although even if he turns out to be completely out of his depth at this level, he'll score against us, obviously.

For what it's worth, Darren Ferguson rated him the best finisher he has ever worked with.  There's no doubt he is a clinical finisher and I feel he would replicate that in the Championship.  He just wasn't a 'busy bee' so wouldn't have met with LJ"s criteria for a striker.  I am not sure Nketiah is a busy bee either hence why he hasn't been getting starts.  I am not knocking LJ as he gets his teams to out perform with energy and commitment and has generally done well in the transfer market.  Equally I think we have let go a 6m to 7m value player for 1m and it's ni surprise that it was Peterborough who picked up the bargain as they can spot them.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Imagine genuinely thinking he wasn’t up to the level based on seeing him for about 18 minutes of league football. 

Just hope we have a big sell on because he will go for huge money to a champ club 

Don't think anyone is basing their opinions on 18 minutes of league football.

2 hours ago, forbespm said:

Not bad for a skinny lad who is lazy with no touch..his only attribute seems to be he knows where the back of the net is!

Yep, one great attribute for league one level with fantastic service in Maddison and Toney. Not bad at all!

Not sure fans would enjoy seeing him being outmuscled and the ball bouncing off of him for us where he has to do so much more against top championship defenders. And really would not imagine the fans liking a striker who doesn't work hard.

48 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Cannot believe that this old chestnut is still going......why can't people accept the opinion of coaches who saw him in training for over 40 weeks, he scored for Peterboro against Blackpool and will continie to score goals at a level that is below ours.......he gets more space and time in the lower leagues, good luck to him, but people who know a lot more about football than forum posters decided that he wasn't up to standard..........just move on.

Who are these people?

They must have special powers and speak in tongues, as no one knows more about football than forum posters.

FACT!

For all these 'you haven't watched him in training...' arguments, I just don't think you can fully judge someone until you actually assess them in their actual bonafide task e.g. goal-scoring in the Championship. Anything less than that is guesswork, regardless of the individual's credentials - sport is littered with individuals who wouldn't strike you as 'great trainers' but nonetheless know when & how to turn it on when it counts. Added to that, what are we basing our 'he's not a good trainer' assessment on, in the very first instance. Yes, he's gone, but my oh my, couldn't we do with him right now.  

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Don't think anyone is basing their opinions on 18 minutes of league football.

That's 18 minutes more than some have been given before fans pass judgement!

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yes Eisa and Taylor scored again today. Taylor in particular is, I believe, infinitely better than Semenyo and I’ve seen nothing in Rodri to think him a better option than Taylor. 

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

And really would not imagine the fans liking a striker who doesn't work hard.

I think 11 goals might compensate. Also, we are a side who create chances but don't convert a high percentage so, arguably, a clinical finisher surrounded by those 'busy bees' would have worked well.  I think you need a balance.  As mentioned Nketiah is a goal machine but Bielsa hasn't picked him and his reason is that he is not being the  team player he feels Bamford is.  That's presumably diplomatic language for lack of work rate.  We were pretty much going to guarantee Nketiah starts due to the goals he would bring and presumably play him in a two with a hard working partner.  So I don't see why that same logic wouldn't apply for Eisa who would have been our player without the loan fee and high wages.

5 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

I think 11 goals might compensate. Also, we are a side who create chances but don't convert a high percentage so, arguably, a clinical finisher surrounded by those 'busy bees' would have worked well.  I think you need a balance.  As mentioned Nketiah is a goal machine but Bielsa hasn't picked him and his reason is that he is not being the  team player he feels Bamford is.  That's presumably diplomatic language for lack of work rate.  We were pretty much going to guarantee Nketiah starts due to the goals he would bring and presumably play him in a two with a hard working partner.  So I don't see why that same logic wouldn't apply for Eisa who would have been our player without the loan fee and high wages.

11 goals in league one. We are not in league one!

We create chances under LJ probably because of what he demands of his forwards. The holding up, the headers, the link up play or whatever he demands from each individual, it is what links the team and makes chances. If our main man can't do those things, then I assume we don't get so many chances as the move breaks down when it gets to them, or they are incapable of getting onto a through ball etc. 

On the Nketiah comparisons. Nketiah is very quick, and i've seen quite a bit of him. He works hard, is a good dribbler, fantastic technically, is surprisingly strong for his height. Doesn't get knocked off the ball easily. 

Now I assume we are all guessing on any evidence we can find on him as to whether he would have been good enough for us. 

I would say when weighing everything up, it was right LJ let him go. He was so far down, below everyone else who our fans say are not good enough. Imagine Fam at league one level! Get him in that Peterborough side with that service and he'd absolutely destroy that league.

Archived