IGNORED

Brentford away

Connell

Wednesday really is going to be the end of an era. There's aspects of Griffin Park I won't miss- especially bundling down a narrow, crowded corridor to try to get to the toilets at half-time - but there really is no stadium like it in this day and age, at least at this level of football. Even if standing ever returns, it will be in a much smarter and more sanitised form and - whilst I'm not one of those people who gets nostalgic old, grotty, ground with poor facilities or feels modernised stadiums automatically lack atmosphere or soul - it is going to be weird that, next time we visit Brentford (FA Cup or play-offs notwithstanding) it will be without some of the things that made a visit so unique. 

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Wednesday really is going to be the end of an era. There's aspects of Griffin Park I won't miss- especially bundling down a narrow, crowded corridor to try to get to the toilets at half-time - but there really is no stadium like it in this day and age, at least at this level of football. Even if standing ever returns, it will be in a much smarter and more sanitised form and - whilst I'm not one of those people who gets nostalgic old, grotty, ground with poor facilities or feels modernised stadiums automatically lack atmosphere or soul - it is going to be weird that, next time we visit Brentford (FA Cup or play-offs notwithstanding) it will be without some of the things that made a visit so unique. 

Never been, was thinking of going last year but of course it sold out sharpish.

Seems a good away day though- part of the away end is a terrace I believe- plus does it still have a pub on each corner?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Never been, was thinking of going last year but of course it sold out too sharpish.

Seems a good away day though- part of the away end is a terrace I believe- plus does it still have a pub on each corner?

I think the away end is all-terrace (unless there is a seated section I've never seen!) Certainly I've stood when I've been there. And yep, there is a pub on each corner, I think. One was closed for a while but I think they are all open again.

It's a bit of an arse to get to - ironically, even though it is in London, I'm in North-East London and there will be fans who get back to Bristol before I get back to Walthamstow - but it is a unique experience. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the new ground - and they ought to be able to accommodate more away fans, which is great as I've frequently failed to get tickets before it sold out - but Griffin Park is a proper atmospheric "old school" stadium and there aren't too many like it in the Championship. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Never been, was thinking of going last year but of course it sold out sharpish.

One of the few grounds I’ve been to where I’ve stood/sat in different parts of the ground. Most of the time I’ve been there the away end has been in a small two tiered stand behind one goal, which has a narrow terrace at the bottom (with great acoustics) and seats in the top tier. I also remember the away end at some point being at the opposite end, on a bigger open terrace (now the home end with a roof). 

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd be surprised if there is any POTD for home ends given capacity but you never know!

Appears to be on restricted sale or similar too. Maybe able to buy spares/unwanted tickets on the day from pubs etc though?

Only on sale to Season Ticket Holders, who can buy extra for friends or family, Members, or previous purchasers.

7 hours ago, Offside said:

One of the few grounds I’ve been to where I’ve stood/sat in different parts of the ground. Most of the time I’ve been there the away end has been in a small two tiered stand behind one goal, which has a narrow terrace at the bottom (with great acoustics) and seats in the top tier. I also remember the away end at some point being at the opposite end, on a bigger open terrace (now the home end with a roof). 

I've certainly done that at Ashton Gate.

Stood on the open terrace when it chucked it down all game, we were 3-0 up at HT, and ended up hanging on for a 3-2 win.

Also stood there in 1993, when Leroy scored a hat-trick and sent us down with some other team in Bristol.

Sat up the other end for the Play Off game.

As you say the Acoustics are great on the terrace at GP, but the best view in the house is from the seats above, but if you are bigger than 5 foot 6 you won't be able to sit down as the leg room is non existent.

7 hours ago, Brentford Fan said:

I've certainly done that at Ashton Gate.

Stood on the open terrace when it chucked it down all game, we were 3-0 up at HT, and ended up hanging on for a 3-2 win.

Also stood there in 1993, when Leroy scored a hat-trick and sent us down with some other team in Bristol.

Sat up the other end for the Play Off game.

As you say the Acoustics are great on the terrace at GP, but the best view in the house is from the seats above, but if you are bigger than 5 foot 6 you won't be able to sit down as the leg room is non existent.

Sitting down in an away end?

We support Bristol City mate not Brentford :) 

4 hours ago, Clevedon_Red said:

Yes also after parking advice. Last went in 2009, parked on nearby street but apparently there are now resident parking zones nearby?

I brought a space from yourparkingspace.co.uk for £8 - basically someone’s driveway but was in the right area for heading back to the m4. The prices vary from what I saw so worth having a look . 

26 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Street parking is a nightmare, everywhere seems to be resident parking only. The internet parking sites are a good idea here

Some of the roads a bit further away are ok to park after 6.30pm.

There is a new multi storey car park, in the high street opposite Morrison's,which is partially open.

Archived