Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Connell

Brentford away

I note NTTDS is somewhat silent on trains coming back going no further than Swindle. Consolation being by the time the replacement bus service gets back Parson Street will just be opening for a new day's business.....

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Connell said:

What time Are people planning on getting to Brentford 

Depending on traffic, I’m hoping for about 5 o’clock.

46 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I haven’t been to Griffin Park since the Joe Jordan days - is there still a pub at each corner of the ground?

i May pop up to this one........

You know it’s sold out right?

The last time I went to an evening game at Griffin Park, the bus either didn't turn up or was full for the return journey to South Ealing Tube, so I ended up having to walk. It's quite a distance, especially for those who might be getting a train back to Bristol at a certain time and need to use Piccadilly line.

You can get a South Western train to Bristol from Brentford but it takes 3 hours with two changes!

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I haven’t been to Griffin Park since the Joe Jordan days - is there still a pub at each corner of the ground?

i May pop up to this one........

Yes mate there is, although The Royal Oak has been renamed The Brook.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JBFC II said:

About 7 hopefully, although that depends on whether my coach is delayed etc...

CATS leaving at 3 o'clock, better be there before 7!

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

CATS leaving at 3 o'clock, better be there before 7!

I’m coming down from Nottingham so a slightly different coach!

• Like 1

I think the bus's replacement will only effect those travelling to Bath and Chippenham.

Looks like the route will be Padd/reading/didcot/swindon non stop to BTM and NOT calling at Bristol Parkway

My thoughts are for any one living nearer to the bath/keynsham  aerial than bristol is to drive to BTM and leave your car at BTM

When your on the bus replacements it seems ages to load up and ages to get to chippenham or Bath

17 hours ago, Connell said:

What time Are people planning on getting to Brentford 

2pm into London, few drinks around Putney before heading over to Brentford circa 4pm.

Yourself?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Loads going without tickets just staying in boozers so I heard 

Yeah I know 3 doing that. They might try for the home end, or see if there are spares about on the day but I doubt it

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

What was the ticket allocation we received for Brentford.............anyone happen to know?

About 1650 I think.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Loads going without tickets just staying in boozers so I heard 

2 hours ago, TuxHarry said:

Yeah I know 3 doing that. They might try for the home end, or see if there are spares about on the day but I doubt it

I'd be surprised if there is any POTD for home ends given capacity but you never know!

Appears to be on restricted sale or similar too. Maybe able to buy spares/unwanted tickets on the day from pubs etc though?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

16 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Can't see any disrupion to return trains unless any one knows different

Only that there are no trains back to Weston, so taxi from Temple Meads for a group of us

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

I think the bus's replacement will only effect those travelling to Bath and Chippenham.

Looks like the route will be Padd/reading/didcot/swindon non stop to BTM and NOT calling at Bristol Parkway

This is correct - coming into Temple Meads will be OK

17 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Can't see any disrupion to return trains unless any one knows different

Last two trains are diverted so all stations between Swindle and TM are buses.....

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

My thoughts are for any one living nearer to the bath/keynsham  aerial than bristol is to drive to BTM and leave your car at BTM

Don't tell the Mayor ......

One of my favourite away trips, so I’m gutted that work commitments are preventing me from visiting Griffin Park for the last time. 

I’m sure we always used to get a bigger allocation than 1600, though. Are away fans still allocated the top tier or have they just reduced the overall capacity at that end?

4 minutes ago, Offside said:

One of my favourite away trips, so I’m gutted that work commitments are preventing me from visiting Griffin Park for the last time. 

I’m sure we always used to get a bigger allocation than 1600, though. Are away fans still allocated the top tier or have they just reduced the overall capacity at that end?

The away capacity is always about 1,600 for Brentford. It's the whole stand, upstairs and downstairs. They can't sell every seat in top tier because of fire restrictions, but it's most of them.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Offside said:

There is always the FA Cup

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Last two trains are diverted so all stations between Swindle and TM are buses.....

They’re not according to my booking

PS if someone gets hold of 2 more spares please PM me I’ll have them immediately!

Thanks

14 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

They’re not according to my booking

PS if someone gets hold of 2 more spares please PM me I’ll have them immediately!

Thanks

Screenshot_20190930-132647_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wednesday really is going to be the end of an era. There's aspects of Griffin Park I won't miss- especially bundling down a narrow, crowded corridor to try to get to the toilets at half-time - but there really is no stadium like it in this day and age, at least at this level of football. Even if standing ever returns, it will be in a much smarter and more sanitised form and - whilst I'm not one of those people who gets nostalgic old, grotty, ground with poor facilities or feels modernised stadiums automatically lack atmosphere or soul - it is going to be weird that, next time we visit Brentford (FA Cup or play-offs notwithstanding) it will be without some of the things that made a visit so unique. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Wednesday really is going to be the end of an era. There's aspects of Griffin Park I won't miss- especially bundling down a narrow, crowded corridor to try to get to the toilets at half-time - but there really is no stadium like it in this day and age, at least at this level of football. Even if standing ever returns, it will be in a much smarter and more sanitised form and - whilst I'm not one of those people who gets nostalgic old, grotty, ground with poor facilities or feels modernised stadiums automatically lack atmosphere or soul - it is going to be weird that, next time we visit Brentford (FA Cup or play-offs notwithstanding) it will be without some of the things that made a visit so unique. 

Never been, was thinking of going last year but of course it sold out sharpish.

Seems a good away day though- part of the away end is a terrace I believe- plus does it still have a pub on each corner?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Never been, was thinking of going last year but of course it sold out too sharpish.

Seems a good away day though- part of the away end is a terrace I believe- plus does it still have a pub on each corner?

I think the away end is all-terrace (unless there is a seated section I've never seen!) Certainly I've stood when I've been there. And yep, there is a pub on each corner, I think. One was closed for a while but I think they are all open again.

It's a bit of an arse to get to - ironically, even though it is in London, I'm in North-East London and there will be fans who get back to Bristol before I get back to Walthamstow - but it is a unique experience. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the new ground - and they ought to be able to accommodate more away fans, which is great as I've frequently failed to get tickets before it sold out - but Griffin Park is a proper atmospheric "old school" stadium and there aren't too many like it in the Championship. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Playoff semi final?

If. If that happened then that would surely be the last game at Griffin Park full stop? 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the away end is all-terrace (unless there is a seated section I've never seen!)

Seated section is upstairs.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Never been, was thinking of going last year but of course it sold out sharpish.

One of the few grounds I’ve been to where I’ve stood/sat in different parts of the ground. Most of the time I’ve been there the away end has been in a small two tiered stand behind one goal, which has a narrow terrace at the bottom (with great acoustics) and seats in the top tier. I also remember the away end at some point being at the opposite end, on a bigger open terrace (now the home end with a roof). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd be surprised if there is any POTD for home ends given capacity but you never know!

Appears to be on restricted sale or similar too. Maybe able to buy spares/unwanted tickets on the day from pubs etc though?

Only on sale to Season Ticket Holders, who can buy extra for friends or family, Members, or previous purchasers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hare Island said:

Going up for early afternoon so I can catch the Dale Chihuly installation then will split between the New Inn and the Griffin. 

As you probably already know The Griffin is the closest to the away end, and is the pub that most visiting fans use.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Offside said:

One of the few grounds I’ve been to where I’ve stood/sat in different parts of the ground. Most of the time I’ve been there the away end has been in a small two tiered stand behind one goal, which has a narrow terrace at the bottom (with great acoustics) and seats in the top tier. I also remember the away end at some point being at the opposite end, on a bigger open terrace (now the home end with a roof). 

I've certainly done that at Ashton Gate.

Stood on the open terrace when it chucked it down all game, we were 3-0 up at HT, and ended up hanging on for a 3-2 win.

Also stood there in 1993, when Leroy scored a hat-trick and sent us down with some other team in Bristol.

Sat up the other end for the Play Off game.

As you say the Acoustics are great on the terrace at GP, but the best view in the house is from the seats above, but if you are bigger than 5 foot 6 you won't be able to sit down as the leg room is non existent.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brentford Fan said:

I've certainly done that at Ashton Gate.

Stood on the open terrace when it chucked it down all game, we were 3-0 up at HT, and ended up hanging on for a 3-2 win.

Also stood there in 1993, when Leroy scored a hat-trick and sent us down with some other team in Bristol.

Sat up the other end for the Play Off game.

As you say the Acoustics are great on the terrace at GP, but the best view in the house is from the seats above, but if you are bigger than 5 foot 6 you won't be able to sit down as the leg room is non existent.

Sitting down in an away end?

We support Bristol City mate not Brentford :) 

Yes also after parking advice. Last went in 2009, parked on nearby street but apparently there are now resident parking zones nearby?

4 hours ago, Clevedon_Red said:

Yes also after parking advice. Last went in 2009, parked on nearby street but apparently there are now resident parking zones nearby?

I brought a space from yourparkingspace.co.uk for £8 - basically someone’s driveway but was in the right area for heading back to the m4. The prices vary from what I saw so worth having a look . 

• Like 1