IGNORED

Liverpool- Carabao Cup possible elimination- a more assertive EFL?

Mr Popodopolous

Looks like Liverpool could be kicked out of the Carabao Cup as they fielded an ineligible player at MK Dons.

I mean they probably won't be and past precedent suggests that they won't be, but basically field ineligible player- Pedro Chirivella, win 3-0 at MK Dons.

https://talksport.com/football/608281/liverpool-blame-football-association-pedro-chrivella-possible-expulsion-carabao-cup/

Possibility they could have to replay it, but decision may well be up to the EFL.

IIRC on that note, wasn't Sakho's eligibility to face us under Cotterill a matter of debate- sure it was Sakho- when he got the winner and we lost to West Ham? Nothing happened there!

FIFA could have kicked West Ham out and awarded the game to us but instead chose to fine West Ham.

A second note is that this perhaps suggests a more assertive EFL- if they're prepared to even consider expelling a club as big as Liverpool from this seasons Carabao Cup or instruct them to replay v MK Dons. Augurs well if sides are found to have inflated asset valuations from their fair level in recent transactions.

10 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Everyone knows they'll just receive a slap on the wrist and a small fine. The FA will bottle it as they want the best clubs to stay in what is a shambles of a cup.

The FA have all the power in English football but don't have the testicles to wield it. If they actually wanted the game to change they could refuse to sanction participation in the CL and Europa League, both UEFA competitions. Instead they're happy to play second fiddle.

Perhaps a squad of say 20 players should be registered as each team joins at the appropriate round. If the top six teams are prepared to show their disrespect by playing their youth team in the early rounds then it might even things up if they're still having to pick from the same squad in the later rounds.

I'm talking bo***cks I know but every year they say, "are we really bothered about this?" and then they suddenly bring out all the 'big guns" to win the final.

I know most clubs do this but it might cut out a lot of their arrogance.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Looks like Liverpool could be kicked out of the Carabao Cup as they fielded an ineligible player at MK Dons.

I mean they probably won't be and past precedent suggests that they won't be, but basically field ineligible player- Pedro Chirivella, win 3-0 at MK Dons.

https://talksport.com/football/608281/liverpool-blame-football-association-pedro-chrivella-possible-expulsion-carabao-cup/

Possibility they could have to replay it, but decision may well be up to the EFL.

IIRC on that note, wasn't Sakho's eligibility to face us under Cotterill a matter of debate- sure it was Sakho- when he got the winner and we lost to West Ham? Nothing happened there!

FIFA could have kicked West Ham out and awarded the game to us but instead chose to fine West Ham.

A second note is that this perhaps suggests a more assertive EFL- if they're prepared to even consider expelling a club as big as Liverpool from this seasons Carabao Cup or instruct them to replay v MK Dons. Augurs well if sides are found to have inflated asset valuations from their fair level in recent transactions.

I think you’re right, it was Sakho I believe - they just got a paltry fine didn’t they? Around £70k rings a bell, they were actually fined by FIFA no less not the FA ... and as you said FIFA’s own regulations state the offending club should have been booted out the Competition - yet they chose to ignore that! Da gas would still be sniffing around a legal approach they couldn’t afford if it had happened to them (whilst thinking of a way to blame Wycombe!?✌️?)

1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

Everyone knows they'll just receive a slap on the wrist and a small fine. The FA will bottle it as they want the best clubs to stay in what is a shambles of a cup.

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

The FA have all the power in English football but don't have the testicles to wield it. If they actually wanted the game to change they could refuse to sanction participation in the CL and Europa League, both UEFA competitions. Instead they're happy to play second fiddle.

Don’t think the FA has any jurisdiction over the EFL Cup ...

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why’s that JD? Have I missed a deep-seated hatred?!

Do not like Liverpool at all. I know too many Bristolian Liverpool fans who don't like a local club, and most of which have never been to a Liverpool game.

A number of other things I don't like about the club too. Unfortunately I think they should go on and win it this year. Man City haven't sorted their defence out and no one else good enough.

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Do not like Liverpool at all. I know too many Bristolian Liverpool fans who don't like a local club, and most of which have never been to a Liverpool game.

A number of other things I don't like about the club too. Unfortunately I think they should go on and win it this year. Man City haven't sorted their defence out and no one else good enough.

It’s definitely theirs to lose  - I think you’re right. Is it just me, but from the limited highlights on TV and the odd ‘live’ game, Salah just doesn’t look that good compared to the way he burst onto the scene when he first joined the Mickeys? I know you can’t tell much from watching on TV, despite what some on here think - we even get people on here giving match ratings for all our players from just watching a camera that follows the ball! ?

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don’t think the FA has any jurisdiction over the EFL Cup ...

They do have jurisdiction over the ability of teams to compete in Europe. If they wanted teams to actually comply with the rules then they could refuse to sanction their participation in those competitions, that was all I was saying.

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I assumed you were a bristol city fan. Shame.

Nah, hate City, Liverpool the only club for me ???

Seriously though, Cityare my team, but I like lots of other clubs for a multitude of reasons.  Liverpool was the first football match I watched on telly.  After that, My dad brought home two a3 team photos from work (might’ve been freebies from BEP), one City, one Rovers, and because Liverpool were red, I chose the City one.  My bruv got Rovers, but he wasn’t really a Footie fan anyway.  So Liverpool decided my support of City.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nah, hate City, Liverpool the only club for me ???

Seriously though, Cityare my team, but I like lots of other clubs for a multitude of reasons.  Liverpool was the first football match I watched on telly.  After that, My dad brought home two a3 team photos from work (might’ve been freebies from BEP), one City, one Rovers, and because Liverpool were red, I chose the City one.  My bruv got Rovers, but he wasn’t really a Footie fan anyway.  So Liverpool decided my support of City.

not a 2 team w***** ?‍♂️ Dont know why people feel the need to have a prem team. Never understood it.

As it happens, my first city experience was liverpool at home in the f.a. cup when the lights when out! I was in the away end - as that was the only place my dad could get tickets.

6 minutes ago, Riaz said:

not a 2 team w***** ?‍♂️ Dont know why people feel the need to have a prem team. Never understood it.

As it happens, my first city experience was liverpool at home in the f.a. cup when the lights when out! I was in the away end - as that was the only place my dad could get tickets.

I’m a multi-team w*****!!

Liverpool City was my first too....1979, 1-0 Joe Royle.  Both clubs were “Prem” teams back then ???

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m a multi-team w*****!!

Liverpool City was my first too....1979, 1-0 Joe Royle.  Both clubs were “Prem” teams back then ???

I have a liking for Liverpool, if that's what's defined as having a second team. 

But if Liverpool lost the champions league final in injury time I'd be far less upset than if City lost a friendly. 

The two don't even come remotely close. So in that sense I don't think you can support two. Support one, follow the other I suppose. 

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think you’re right, it was Sakho I believe - they just got a paltry fine didn’t they? Around £70k rings a bell, they were actually fined by FIFA no less not the FA ... and as you said FIFA’s own regulations state the offending club should have been booted out the Competition - yet they chose to ignore that! Da gas would still be sniffing around a legal approach they couldn’t afford if it had happened to them (whilst thinking of a way to blame Wycombe!?✌️?)

Even “Paltry” is a generous description. I seem to recall the fine was less than the prize money they were guaranteed by getting through to the next round. 

50 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Didn't WHU play an ineligible player against us a few years ago, and wasn't he the one that scored the winner. They were allowed to carry on with no complaints from us.  

My recollection (which is cloudy) was it was not quite as clear cut as he was ineligible, in the sense he was unregistered, Cup tied or whatever. It was something to do with he had cried off international call up, and therefore should not really have played in x days domestically. He was potentially breaking a FIFA rule, not domestic ones, hence the fine from FIFA.

Not sure of the deal here with LFC and this tie, but always thought the rule was pretty cut and dried. If you played somebody who was clearly ineligible, you lost the tie.

25 minutes ago, cityexile said:

My recollection (which is cloudy) was it was not quite as clear cut as he was ineligible, in the sense he was unregistered, Cup tied or whatever. It was something to do with he had cried off international call up, and therefore should not really have played in x days domestically. He was potentially breaking a FIFA rule, not domestic ones, hence the fine from FIFA.

Not sure of the deal here with LFC and this tie, but always thought the rule was pretty cut and dried. If you played somebody who was clearly ineligible, you lost the tie.

Ahh ok, thanks.

It being Liverpool I am waiting for a let off, and an apology .

£200,000 fine, half of which is suspended.

They were also told not to do it again or they will be in to see the Headmaster and their parents will be called into school.

Archived