IGNORED

Brentford Football club to become cashless

Never to the dark side

This isn't a good thing. Besides football being more expensive in general, it's becoming mandatory in more places for one to have a bank account to attend football games which - besides being antithetical to the Working Class Sport notion - will hit the poorest (who may only be coming when tickets are on offer) and also the youngest who may not be able to rely on Mum or Dad buying tickets forever.

Doesn't bother me much, I never carry cash. A lot of the older generation still don't have cards though, there should always be a place within a stadium where they can still use cash. 

Birmingham away I couldn't get a drink in the concourse though because they only take cash. Couldn't believe that in today's society.  

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Doesn't bother me much, I never carry cash. A lot of the older generation still don't have cards though, there should always be a place within a stadium where they can still use cash. 

Birmingham away I couldn't get a drink in the concourse though because they only take cash. Couldn't believe that in today's society.  

I must admit that with contactless payments now, I rarely have cash on me. I think there are some old school guys who might begrudge their partners being able to see just how much they spend when at the ground though.

To me, it's stranger when an establishment accepts cash only as I never carry cash.

Plenty of bars, especially in London, have resorted to cashless to stop any losses in case they are burgled. Also stops the passing of counterfeit money as well I guess. 

Interesting debate but I think you'll only see more clubs follow suit in the future.

1 minute ago, KingLear said:

To me, it's stranger when an establishment accepts cash only as I never carry cash.

Plenty of bars, especially in London, have resorted to cashless to stop any losses in case they are burgled. Also stops the passing of counterfeit money as well I guess. 

Interesting debate but I think you'll only see more clubs follow suit in the future.

The prevention of forged cash is interesting, as if you don't realise your card has gone missing, someone can quickly rack up a small fortune in contactless payments on a card that isn't theirs.

Granted, banks are generally quick to refund, but it does put the onus on the customer to take more care than the retailer.

Oddly, I still prefer cash for most things as I know how much on a Sunday morning I have pissed up the wall if I went out with 'x' amount and wake up with 'x - y'.

I just don't really buy in to the idea that I need to piece transactions together using an app.

That said, Ola/Uber have changed my travelling habits for the worse. I am far more likely to jump in a cab now than wait for a bus.

Yeah, I love standing behind the potless numpty in the queue who feigns surprise when their contactless purchase (sic) gets rejected and proceeds to spend 10 minutes obfuscating attempting to cadge something for n'owt. 'Hold on whilst I call my bank...' - that's going to work in the drinks queue on the concourse......

I'm still a bit meh about contactless. I use it and it's handy but I feel it makes you feel like you have more money than you have as you don't physically get to handle and count the cash etc. I don't feel like I'm spending money when I use contactless.

On a night out I will set myself a budget and take out cash and leave my card at home because one or two times I've woke up the next day having spent an absolute fortune at the bar using contactless.

At Ashton Gate, one of the outside bars only takes contactless I believe, everytime I've got a beer from there and checked my account a few days later they always charge me the full price rather than the discounted price, there is not much you can do a few days later. That's why I like cash, if I'm over charged then I can instantly get it corrected.

6 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

Will “cashless” mean that they accept debit/credit cards or will it be like several foreign clubs where you have a dedicated charge card which you continually “top up” on the premises ?

Only a matter of time me thinks, before 'season ticket discount' is replaced with the 'Bristol Sport Charge Card' where you lodge your cash, that will be held to the clubs advantage (probably offshore) earning interest, and you are encouraged to save £££s by using their apps/plastic.

Sterling will be like Itchy and Scratchy money in a few years.

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I'm still a bit meh about contactless. I use it and it's handy but I feel it makes you feel like you have more money than you have as you don't physically get to handle and count the cash etc. I don't feel like I'm spending money when I use contactless.

On a night out I will set myself a budget and take out cash and leave my card at home because one or two times I've woke up the next day having spent an absolute fortune at the bar using contactless.

At Ashton Gate, one of the outside bars only takes contactless I believe, everytime I've got a beer from there and checked my account a few days later they always charge me the full price rather than the discounted price, there is not much you can do a few days later. That's why I like cash, if I'm over charged then I can instantly get it corrected.

It’s important to be in control of your own money and not to embrace cashless which for me is a dangerous road to go down.

there are many websites as to why not to go cashless as well as the support of “bill of exchange act” which they ignore.

it will take too long to explain why you should not go cashless which supports the banks complete control over yours.

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Only a matter of time me thinks, before 'season ticket discount' is replaced with the 'Bristol Sport Charge Card' where you lodge your cash, that will be held to the clubs advantage (probably offshore) earning interest, and you are encouraged to save £££s by using their apps/plastic.

Sterling will be like Itchy and Scratchy money in a few years.

And if you don't spend it by the end of the season, you lose it.

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

And if you don't spend it by the end of the season, you lose it.

That's a given!

Especially as a lot of people will think... 'pie, 3 pints a game, maybe a few cup games as well', I'll lump a roughly similar amount of cash on at the start of the season, and either have to top it up because they suddenly get all generous with their pals because 'it isn't real money' or are too cautious as they want it to last. 

God knows how much money TFL have made from inactive oyster cards.

1 hour ago, sephjnr said:

This isn't a good thing. Besides football being more expensive in general, it's becoming mandatory in more places for one to have a bank account to attend football games which - besides being antithetical to the Working Class Sport notion - will hit the poorest (who may only be coming when tickets are on offer) and also the youngest who may not be able to rely on Mum or Dad buying tickets forever.

48 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

I refuse to pay cashless so that will save me a few quid, do kids carry cashless cards? 

26 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'm not a tin foil hat sort of person but I'm a little bit uncomfortable with all my purchases being tracked digitally. 

This is very much my position and with the people I know (all ages) it very much divides people.  Some embrace every easy payment method going including paying by swiping their phone on a laser whereas others (like me) see cash as having huge advantages so always pay by cash if possible.  Certainly for anything sub £100.

I don't think that anybody is going to change their position because it's down to personal preference but for me the advantages of cash are:

• Automatic budgeting - if you have the cash you can buy it, if you don't then you don't.  Very handy on a drinking night when I have heard of people spending astronomical sums on their cards which they very much regret the next day.
  • Not having every one of your purchases tracked (simple example - if you are a smoker and tell your medical insurance company that you don't smoke then they can prove you wrong) (I don't smoke).
  • You don't need to keep receipts or remember every small purchase for when you receive your statement because you are effectively doing this each time you make a cash purchase - pass cash over and receive goods or services.
  • If you buy with cash then you are not open to possible fraud - card cloning or whatever - at every transaction.
  • There is no percentage take by the card provider from the transaction - the retailer sells you something for ten pounds and they receive ten pounds.

There are of course disadvantages but I think that the advantages outweigh them.

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Potentially could someone walk around a public place such as Ashton Gate with some sort of reader and just charge numerous cards 30 quid a time? That is what always worries me.

That could happen anywhere, I bought a wallet card blocker to stop this. I've seen some wallets that have that inbuilt 

10 minutes ago, Sturny said:

That could happen anywhere, I bought a wallet card blocker to stop this. I've seen some wallets that have that inbuilt 

Plus you can cut the aerial within the card so that it doesn't work as a contactless if you're never going to use it in this way.  I have done this rather than go through the faff of getting my bank to issue me with non-contactless cards.

This tells you how:

image.axd?picture=20140321_095853_thumb.

https://robinminto.com/blog/post/2014/03/21/Disabling-contactless-payment-cards-or-preventing-card-clash-with-Oyster

42 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

everytime I've got a beer from there and checked my account a few days later they always charge me the full price rather than the discounted price, there is not much you can do a few days later

Check the machine before you tap then, it'll say how much you're about to be charged.

Archived