IGNORED

Brentford Football club to become cashless

Never to the dark side

40 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This is very much my position and with the people I know (all ages) it very much divides people.  Some embrace every easy payment method going including paying by swiping their phone on a laser whereas others (like me) see cash as having huge advantages so always pay by cash if possible.  Certainly for anything sub £100.

I don't think that anybody is going to change their position because it's down to personal preference but for me the advantages of cash are:

• Automatic budgeting - if you have the cash you can buy it, if you don't then you don't.  Very handy on a drinking night when I have heard of people spending astronomical sums on their cards which they very much regret the next day.
  • Not having every one of your purchases tracked (simple example - if you are a smoker and tell your medical insurance company that you don't smoke then they can prove you wrong) (I don't smoke).
  • You don't need to keep receipts or remember every small purchase for when you receive your statement because you are effectively doing this each time you make a cash purchase - pass cash over and receive goods or services.
  • If you buy with cash then you are not open to possible fraud - card cloning or whatever - at every transaction.
  • There is no percentage take by the card provider from the transaction - the retailer sells you something for ten pounds and they receive ten pounds.

There are of course disadvantages but I think that the advantages outweigh them.

1. You can get an account like Monzo and use it as a prepaid card. Transfer a value onto it your main account before you go out and then every time there is a spend on it, you get a notification on your phone immediately. 

2. When you go to Tesco and do a shop, it doesn't put on your statement every individual item you purchased.

3. Nobody keeps receipts anyway, but still, use #1 again and it's got every purchase in there. There's even a section where you can take a picture of your receipt and attach it to the purchase, then dispose of the actual receipt. 

4. Apart from it being fake cash.

5. The business have agreed to these terms, it's the price of convenience in not having to handle cash and have people pulling out 5p coins and dropping them on the floor when trying to pay. With ST discount the prices are always annoying. 

2 minutes ago, TBW said:

1. You can get an account like Monzo and use it as a prepaid card. Transfer a value onto it your main account before you go out and then every time there is a spend on it, you get a notification on your phone. 

2. When you go to Tesco and do a shop, it doesn't put on you're statement every individual item you purchased.

3. Nobody keeps receipts anyway, but still, use #1 again and it's got every purchase in there. There's even a section where you can take a picture of your receipt and attach it to the purchase, then dispose of the actual receipt. 

4. Apart from it being fake cash.

5. The business have agreed to these terms, it's the price of convenience in not having to handle cash and have people pulling out 5p coins and dropping them on the floor when trying to pay. With ST discount the prices are always annoying. 

All absolutely fair.  As I said I was listing the advantages of cash but not the downsides or alternatives.

I know somebody who is very careful with her money (meaning monitors it rather than being mean) and she uses all the modern payment methods and checks her bank statement online daily so she is no more going to get done than I am with cash payments.

It comes down to personal preference and what you think is important.

1 hour ago, candygram for mongo said:

Will “cashless” mean that they accept debit/credit cards or will it be like several foreign clubs where you have a dedicated charge card which you continually “top up” on the premises ?

Went with the lad to see The Netherlands Vs Spain at the Amsterdam Arena. Inside early, went to buy some beers and....what! Arena Card only and whilst you could 'top up' inside the ground at that time you could only buy cards themselves from the outlet outside. Also,  I recall there was a minimum €20 card or whatever so if you only wanted a pint and weren't a regular it proved a mighty expensive drink.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

All absolutely fair.  As I said I was listing the advantages of cash but not the downsides or alternatives.

I know somebody who is very careful with her money (meaning monitors it rather than being mean) and she uses all the modern payment methods and checks her bank statement online daily so she is no more going to get done than I am with cash payments.

It comes down to personal preference and what you think is important.

I honestly do recommend looking into using something like Monzo though. The immediate notifications are a great option. Basically if you're card does get cloned and used, your phone will tell you it's being used as it happens, and where it's being used. You can then use an option in the application to freeze the card temporarily until you've figured out what to do. 

Fortunately I've never had to do that but it's nice to know it's there and the application sorts all your payments into sections so you can see how much you've spent at a particular vendor between a certain period of you want to budget that badly. 

45 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

God knows how much money TFL have made from inactive oyster cards.

I've got 40 in my drawer. Ever tried to cash them in to get the deposits back, don't bother. There's only 4 places you may do so, they're never open or have endless queues. 

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Went with the lad to see The Netherlands Vs Spain at the Amsterdam Arena. Inside early, went to buy some beers and....what! Arena Card only and whilst you could 'top up' inside the ground at that time you could only buy cards themselves from the outlet outside. Also,  I recall there was a minimum €20 card or whatever so if you only wanted a pint and weren't a regular it proved a mighty expensive drink.

But highly lucrative for them as you may only buy one beer and then as you never visit there again you never get to use the rest of the money.

I've been to many festivals that operate token systems for bars, always get proper ripped off with them.

31 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Government have you right where they want. 6million cctv cameras and soon they will know every single penny you earn and spend. Eric Arthur Blair, aka mr Orwell. What a clever man, has the future predictions spot on

Not quite. I know a thing or two about data and Government knows surprisingly little about you, they certainly aren't spying in your living room or bedroom. Google, Amazon, Samsung and Sony on the other hand.....not to mention Tesco & Sainsbury's for wider profiles.

8 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I've got 40 in my drawer. Ever tried to cash them in to get the deposits back, don't bother. There's only 4 places you may do so, they're never open or have endless queues. 

You can get a refund for your oyster in plenty of ways. Either online, by post, on the phone or at the tube station. It's not that difficult - or you can put it in a charity box at plenty of tube stations so the leftover money and deposit refund goes to charity.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/oyster-card-refunds/

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I'm still a bit meh about contactless. I use it and it's handy but I feel it makes you feel like you have more money than you have as you don't physically get to handle and count the cash etc. I don't feel like I'm spending money when I use contactless.

On a night out I will set myself a budget and take out cash and leave my card at home because one or two times I've woke up the next day having spent an absolute fortune at the bar using contactless.

At Ashton Gate, one of the outside bars only takes contactless I believe, everytime I've got a beer from there and checked my account a few days later they always charge me the full price rather than the discounted price, there is not much you can do a few days later. That's why I like cash, if I'm over charged then I can instantly get it corrected.

I think that's part of the reason places want to become cashless, as you said it doesn't feel like your spending REAL money and so probably spend more as a result which is obviously better for them.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I'm still a bit meh about contactless. I use it and it's handy but I feel it makes you feel like you have more money than you have as you don't physically get to handle and count the cash etc. I don't feel like I'm spending money when I use contactless.

On a night out I will set myself a budget and take out cash and leave my card at home because one or two times I've woke up the next day having spent an absolute fortune at the bar using contactless.

At Ashton Gate, one of the outside bars only takes contactless I believe, everytime I've got a beer from there and checked my account a few days later they always charge me the full price rather than the discounted price, there is not much you can do a few days later. That's why I like cash, if I'm over charged then I can instantly get it corrected.

See I’m the complete opposite, if I use cash then I feel that it’s almost ‘throw away money’ as I don’t see it in bank statements etc so in my head it’s never existed.

8 minutes ago, pillred said:

I think that's part of the reason places want to become cashless, as you said it doesn't feel like your spending REAL money and so probably spend more as a result which is obviously better for them.

I don't think it's that at all. It's much much easier/safer to run a business that doesn't involve a load of cash handling.  

Southend United was cashless, years ago, when we went there first game of the season, early 90s. Entry was swift, no problems. Worked beautifully; years ahead of their time, I thought. Next time we went there, they were back to wanting cash - insistent they were, and not very welcoming, either! Funny lot, never quite figured them out....

8 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I don't think it's that at all. It's much much easier/safer to run a business that doesn't involve a load of cash handling.  

Absolutely; unless it's a very small business for whom hiring the terminal is a material cost.

Though as the saying goes "The customer is always right".  I am the customer, I want to pay cash.

1 hour ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Government have you right where they want. 6million cctv cameras and soon they will know every single penny you earn and spend. Eric Arthur Blair, aka mr Orwell. What a clever man, has the future predictions spot on

you-are-under-surviellance.jpg

10 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Absolutely; unless it's a very small business for whom hiring the terminal is a material cost.

Though as the saying goes "The customer is always right".  I am the customer, I want to pay cash.

You'll be surprised it's mostly complete opposite these days. Much cheaper to buy some online transaction machine that probably outweighs the cost of losing the odd customer that only has cash (which i think is rare these days). I've seen loads of those small coffee vans round Bristol using them. 

59 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I did it online, it was easy enough.

40 in the drawer though? That's £200, not including any remaining value on them. Definitely is worth the hassle.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Clearly haven't read the Brexit thread! ?

Some right Mystic Meg's on that one.

:D

All politicians seem to be doing this at the moment.

"I know exactly what will be happening in two years' time if we do x or y".  Of course they don't, nobody ever does. 

They just make it up and hope people believe them as happens at every single General Election.

I personally like contactless as a concept and use it almost all the time. No hassle with pockets full of change to drop all over the floor, or needing an ATM that's miles away - and for the retailers no need to keep loads of change on premis. It's particularly useful in London when using the underground as it works the same as Oysters and better than buying a zoned ticket because you only pay for what you use. 

I don't care if the bank (or the wife) knows when I've popped down the local for a couple of pints, or put £30 worth of fuel in my car. It also makes tax avoidance difficult so I'm surprised that the government isn't coming up with incentives to encourage more retailers to adopt it (they may have to be fair - I'm not a retailer so I don't know). I'm a bit suspicious of outlets that only deal in cash - but that's me!

Anyway, it works for me - until there's a power cut of course - but the electronic cash registers would also fail so no difference - we'd all go without!!!!!

I can see cash being phased out within the next 20 years - maybe sooner. 

1 hour ago, S.B. said:

You can get a refund for your oyster in plenty of ways. Either online, by post, on the phone or at the tube station. It's not that difficult - or you can put it in a charity box at plenty of tube stations so the leftover money and deposit refund goes to charity.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/oyster-card-refunds/

No you can't. Their desired system only works if each card has been used in the previous account period, has been pre-registered and without seeing them they also did not know which generation they were or what deposit was charged? By used,  that means taking a journey, not touching in at a nachine. I've only ever managed to have 3 refunded via the in station process. It's deliberately made difficult to prevent people from claiming refunds. The only way to do it is to go not to a station but a customer service centre and queue up. Present a pile of cards and they claim that they're unable to process given they've other customers to serve.

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The flip side to the joy of cashless, was a fairly substantial power cut that impacted Gloucester Road the other month.

Wasn't me waiting for bar service that night! Those cashless customers had a dreadful time however! Gotta have some cash on you. 

The bars were open after a powercut?

Cashless is fine when it works.  I buy lunch from a couple of different mobile food outlets but on about 1 in 10 days the point of sale device doesn't work so they ask for cash - many people don't have it on them so they don't get lunch although one vendor trusts you to pay next time.

On the first day of the season before last (Wigan?)  the bars in the Lansdown wouldn't take card payments due to a network failure I believe - had to share a cup of tea with my daughter as not much shrapnel in our pockets.

I think cash should always be an option if you are running a retail outlet.

20 minutes ago, Sturny said:

The bars were open after a powercut?

The pub was.

The only issue was that they had to keep one of the tills open (they were electric) and some beers were off, aside from that, it was good times! I tend to drink bottles anyway, so impact to me was pretty much nil.

Archived