IGNORED

What forward would you like to buy in January?

Unan

3 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I have no idea who I would like us to go for in January.

However, one person I don't want to see us go for is Assombalonga.

I worry that, with the option to buy Afobe, we may not sign a striker at all.

That option surely won’t be taken up now, so it shouldn’t have any affect on who we might sign.

10 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I have no idea who I would like us to go for in January.

However, one person I don't want to see us go for is Assombalonga.

I worry that, with the option to buy Afobe, we may not sign a striker at all.

Why is that? He has a very similar profile to Afobe; same age, experienced in this league, proven goalscorer.. He has had injury problems however. If we want a player of a similar profile with a similar style then he's as close as we're going to get.

12 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

That option surely won’t be taken up now, so it shouldn’t have any affect on who we might sign.

I wouldn't be surprised if we bought him for a further reduced price.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why is that? He has a very similar profile to Afobe; same age, experienced in this league, proven goalscorer.. He has had injury problems however. If we want a player of a similar profile with a similar style then he's as close as we're going to get.

$$$

15 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we bought him for a further reduced price.

$$$

But that wouldn’t be until next summer at the earliest, we wouldn’t have any obligation to sign him & gone are the days that we now sign players for sentimental reasons. If we have other options lined up, we’ll move for them in January without a doubt.

32 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But that wouldn’t be until next summer at the earliest, we wouldn’t have any obligation to sign him & gone are the days that we now sign players for sentimental reasons. If we have other options lined up, we’ll move for them in January without a doubt.

Possibly,  if we can't get a target in January for an ideal price I would not be surprised for us to hold our nerve & only sign Afobe in the summer. 

I think the last 2 seasons have proved we won't buy anyone in January if it isn't on our terms.

1 hour ago, Seneca the Younger said:

$$$

Afobe would've been on decent wages - we've got money to spend on transfer fees. Theoretically, if we're in a similar position to before where we're in the top 4 and it looks like it's just a high quality striker that'll make the difference - I think we'd spend big on the right player. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Afobe would've been on decent wages - we've got money to spend on transfer fees. Theoretically, if we're in a similar position to before where we're in the top 4 and it looks like it's just a high quality striker that'll make the difference - I think we'd spend big on the right player. 

We'll still be covering his wages though won't we? Unless MA has worked his magic as part of the deal with Stoke?

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

I wouldn’t rule it out just yet.  From what Kid suggested the option to buy is low, having paid a decent loan fee, and Afobe will be in last year of contract next summer.  It is such a shame he got injured.  But his previous ACL was 6 1/2 years ago, and I think it would be good to wait and see how well he recovers before deciding either way.

56 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Dwight Gayle

He’s costing Newcastle a lot of money, but has a troublesome calf, that is keeping him out.  Would be a great option (if affordable).

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I Don’t think we have much to spend in January.  We will know much more when 18/19’s Accounts are published as that will give us a guide for the latest 3 years ffp situation (projecting this years).

30 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Possibly,  if we can't get a target in January for an ideal price I would not be surprised for us to hold our nerve & only sign Afobe in the summer. 

I think the last 2 seasons have proved we won't buy anyone in January if it isn't on our terms.

I’d expect anyone who is brought in during January to either be a loan With a view to signing permanently or someone about to be out of contract so we’re not paying the optimum fee.

Afobe will depend on a lot of different things, his recovery, fee & what division we’re in are just three of them.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Think @Coppello said that this is a rare thing.

I think Johnson mentioned it in one of the press conferences but I'm always unsure how these things would actually work.  For an insurance company to pay out huge sums of money to pay a championship striker's wages, what kind of fees would we be paying for that kind of cover?

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I might be wrong here but did I read that an ACL injury becomes more likely again each time it happens, and this is Afobe’s third? That would make me nervous about signing him permanently.

It can depend.  Several southern-hemisphere rugby players play without their ACL! 

From a bit of reading, I think he’s only done his ACL once previously.  He had another “knee injury” but ACL not mentioned.  The ACL was 6 1/2 years ago.

37 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I might be wrong here but did I read that an ACL injury becomes more likely again each time it happens, and this is Afobe’s third? That would make me nervous about signing him permanently.

Exactly......As much as I like Benik, I cannot see us taking the risk.  I think we will move on to new targets and probably loan somebody with an option to buy, like we did with Kalas and De Silva?

I am thinking of some interesting players overseas, but it may not be the time to bring a new player even if exciting to the Championship.

I've been keeping half an eye on Moussa Kone of Dynamo Dresden, but maybe not the best addition in January. If it was him plus one other who is more likely to hit the ground running, and sell Diedhiou say then...

Revive a bid for Vydra? Loan with option/maybe obligation on promotion could be worth a look.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I Don’t think we have much to spend in January.  We will know much more when 18/19’s Accounts are published as that will give us a guide for the latest 3 years ffp situation (projecting this years).

Oh no DON'T get @Mr Popodopolous started on FFP ?

2 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

We'll still be covering his wages though won't we? Unless MA has worked his magic as part of the deal with Stoke?

Sometimes these contracts have injury clauses for situations like this.. let's hope so

10 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Probably an unpopular opinion here but I have never been too excited by the prospect of Assombalonga.

Big wages, get the impression he thinks he's the biggest name in the league and every time I've watched him has missed a number of good chances.

His conversion rate doesn't appear to be all that- with Middlesbrough at least.

He seems decent, but I wonder if there is better out there. I'd have him here yes, but I wonder stylistically- he was compared to Afobe, think that Afobe a bit better technically for one.

Quick look at WhoScored suggests he averages a goal per 6 or 7 shots or has done over his time at Middlesbrough. He has good movement though and can pull wider- upgrade on Diedhiou certainly.

Archived