Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Seneca the Younger

What forward would you like to buy in January?

I have no idea who I would like us to go for in January.

However, one person I don't want to see us go for is Assombalonga.

I worry that, with the option to buy Afobe, we may not sign a striker at all.

Edited by Seneca the Younger

3 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

That option surely won’t be taken up now, so it shouldn’t have any affect on who we might sign.

10 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Why is that? He has a very similar profile to Afobe; same age, experienced in this league, proven goalscorer.. He has had injury problems however. If we want a player of a similar profile with a similar style then he's as close as we're going to get.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

That option surely won’t be taken up now, so it shouldn’t have any affect on who we might sign.

I wouldn't be surprised if we bought him for a further reduced price.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why is that? He has a very similar profile to Afobe; same age, experienced in this league, proven goalscorer.. He has had injury problems however. If we want a player of a similar profile with a similar style then he's as close as we're going to get.

$$$

15 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we bought him for a further reduced price.

$$$

But that wouldn’t be until next summer at the earliest, we wouldn’t have any obligation to sign him & gone are the days that we now sign players for sentimental reasons. If we have other options lined up, we’ll move for them in January without a doubt.

32 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But that wouldn’t be until next summer at the earliest, we wouldn’t have any obligation to sign him & gone are the days that we now sign players for sentimental reasons. If we have other options lined up, we’ll move for them in January without a doubt.

Possibly,  if we can't get a target in January for an ideal price I would not be surprised for us to hold our nerve & only sign Afobe in the summer. 

I think the last 2 seasons have proved we won't buy anyone in January if it isn't on our terms.

Edited by Seneca the Younger

1 hour ago, Seneca the Younger said:

$$$

Afobe would've been on decent wages - we've got money to spend on transfer fees. Theoretically, if we're in a similar position to before where we're in the top 4 and it looks like it's just a high quality striker that'll make the difference - I think we'd spend big on the right player. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Afobe would've been on decent wages - we've got money to spend on transfer fees. Theoretically, if we're in a similar position to before where we're in the top 4 and it looks like it's just a high quality striker that'll make the difference - I think we'd spend big on the right player. 

We'll still be covering his wages though won't we? Unless MA has worked his magic as part of the deal with Stoke?

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

I wouldn’t rule it out just yet.  From what Kid suggested the option to buy is low, having paid a decent loan fee, and Afobe will be in last year of contract next summer.  It is such a shame he got injured.  But his previous ACL was 6 1/2 years ago, and I think it would be good to wait and see how well he recovers before deciding either way.

56 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Dwight Gayle

He’s costing Newcastle a lot of money, but has a troublesome calf, that is keeping him out.  Would be a great option (if affordable).

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I Don’t think we have much to spend in January.  We will know much more when 18/19’s Accounts are published as that will give us a guide for the latest 3 years ffp situation (projecting this years).

30 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Possibly,  if we can't get a target in January for an ideal price I would not be surprised for us to hold our nerve & only sign Afobe in the summer. 

I think the last 2 seasons have proved we won't buy anyone in January if it isn't on our terms.

I’d expect anyone who is brought in during January to either be a loan With a view to signing permanently or someone about to be out of contract so we’re not paying the optimum fee.

Afobe will depend on a lot of different things, his recovery, fee & what division we’re in are just three of them.

Presume we have insured Afobe against injury.

Regarding Adam Nagy, would expect the Hungarian FA would be forthcoming with some compensation, as he was injured on their national duty.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jayjay said:

Presume we have insured Afobe against injury.

Regarding Adam Nagy, would expect the Hungarian FA would be forthcoming with some compensation, as he was injured on their national duty.

Think @Coppello said that this is a rare thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Think @Coppello said that this is a rare thing.

I think Johnson mentioned it in one of the press conferences but I'm always unsure how these things would actually work.  For an insurance company to pay out huge sums of money to pay a championship striker's wages, what kind of fees would we be paying for that kind of cover?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I might be wrong here but did I read that an ACL injury becomes more likely again each time it happens, and this is Afobe’s third? That would make me nervous about signing him permanently.

It can depend.  Several southern-hemisphere rugby players play without their ACL! 

From a bit of reading, I think he’s only done his ACL once previously.  He had another “knee injury” but ACL not mentioned.  The ACL was 6 1/2 years ago.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I might be wrong here but did I read that an ACL injury becomes more likely again each time it happens, and this is Afobe’s third? That would make me nervous about signing him permanently.

Exactly......As much as I like Benik, I cannot see us taking the risk.  I think we will move on to new targets and probably loan somebody with an option to buy, like we did with Kalas and De Silva?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He’s costing Newcastle a lot of money, but has a troublesome calf, that is keeping him out

As the Wurzels so wisely sang - it's an hard life, when you'm working on the farm . . . 

• Haha 8

I am thinking of some interesting players overseas, but it may not be the time to bring a new player even if exciting to the Championship.

I've been keeping half an eye on Moussa Kone of Dynamo Dresden, but maybe not the best addition in January. If it was him plus one other who is more likely to hit the ground running, and sell Diedhiou say then...

Revive a bid for Vydra? Loan with option/maybe obligation on promotion could be worth a look.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I Don’t think we have much to spend in January.  We will know much more when 18/19’s Accounts are published as that will give us a guide for the latest 3 years ffp situation (projecting this years).

Oh no DON'T get @Mr Popodopolous started on FFP 😁

2 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

We'll still be covering his wages though won't we? Unless MA has worked his magic as part of the deal with Stoke?

Sometimes these contracts have injury clauses for situations like this.. let's hope so

Probably an unpopular opinion here but I have never been too excited by the prospect of Assombalonga.

Big wages, get the impression he thinks he's the biggest name in the league and every time I've watched him has missed a number of good chances.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Probably an unpopular opinion here but I have never been too excited by the prospect of Assombalonga.

Big wages, get the impression he thinks he's the biggest name in the league and every time I've watched him has missed a number of good chances.

His conversion rate doesn't appear to be all that- with Middlesbrough at least.

He seems decent, but I wonder if there is better out there. I'd have him here yes, but I wonder stylistically- he was compared to Afobe, think that Afobe a bit better technically for one.

Quick look at WhoScored suggests he averages a goal per 6 or 7 shots or has done over his time at Middlesbrough. He has good movement though and can pull wider- upgrade on Diedhiou certainly.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

This guy on loan until end of season.

Try and get an option to buy.

Keep Semenyo...sell Famara in Summer.

In meantime find some like Afobe or keep Afobe if gets strong again.

Simples :laugh:

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It can depend.  Several southern-hemisphere rugby players play without their ACL! 

From a bit of reading, I think he’s only done his ACL once previously.  He had another “knee injury” but ACL not mentioned.  The ACL was 6 1/2 years ago.

Is this what they have done instead Dave? 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140722164132.htm

Vydra on loan from Burnley must surely be a realistic option? Hardly plays up there at all now, especially as they have J-Rod back.

Andre Gray could be good loan option too if Kiko Flores doesn't fancy him, and don't forget they have Deeney, Welbeck and Dela there now.

Surely we wouldn't consider Kodjia for a loan? Not sure how it ended up between him and Johnson, can't remember if he refused to play that night at Scunny?

I mean in an idea world I'd love us to splash the cash and get Jarrod Bowen in during Jan, especially if Hull are bottom half. Would take over 12 million to land him so it ain't gonna happen.

Solid loan sounds like the main option.

Edited by Kingswoodactor
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Vydra on loan from Burnley must surely be a realistic option? Hardly plays up there at all now, especially as they have J-Rod back.

Andre Gray could be good loan option too if Kiko Flores doesn't fancy him, and don't forget they have Deeney, Welbeck and Dela there now.

Surely we wouldn't consider Kodjia for a loan? Not sure how it ended up between him and Johnson, can't remember if he refused to play that night at Scunny?

I mean in an idea world I'd love us to splash the cash and get Jarrod Bowen in during Jan, especially if Hull are bottom half. Would take over 12 million to land him so it ain't gonna happen.

Solid loan sounds like the main option.

No chance of Bowen joining another Champ club, especially not us.

Vydra seems the most logical option - only played 559 mins last season and only 102 so far this season.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Is this what they have done instead Dave? 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140722164132.htm

No, they just build up all the muscles around it to hopefully keep stability if the joint.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-12/peter-wallace-played-for-two-years-without-an-acl/9861170

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-play-rugby-without-reconstructing-ACL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Not full training just yet. 

I agree I'd like him to be involved if he can get fit sooner rather than later. I reckon he'd bag a few in this team, if he can handle the pressure.

In that case, lets tell Benik to get off his cosy hospital bed and get down the ground to get his muscles built up properly. :) 

I see that it can increase the chances of dislocating the knee and you would have thought it would have hampered speed and jumping ability, but if a Wide Receiver in the NFL could play without one, that can't be the case.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

In that case, lets tell Benik to get off his cosy hospital bed and get down the ground to get his muscles built up properly. :) 

I see that it can increase the chances of dislocating the knee and you would have thought it would have hampered speed and jumping ability, but if a Wide Receiver in the NFL could play without one, that can't be the case.

Amazing really.  Back in the day a cartilage tear was career ending, then Gazza did his ACL, now some players play without them.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Amazing really.  Back in the day a cartilage tear was career ending, then Gazza did his ACL, now some players play without them.

Is it cruciate that they replace with old dead peoples ones as replacements Dave? 

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Janneh

Such a shame he got that injury. He'd be on our bench now I reckon at times.

Would love to see him come back and get opportunities. If Semenyo can kick on then Semenyo, Weimann, Janneh, Diedhiou with Watkins as an emergency 5th may be enough.

I guess it all really comes down to how good Semenyo is up till January.

If we do go in for someone then Marriott I'd still really like. I think he would suit our current system with Weimann alongside him.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Is it cruciate that they replace with old dead peoples ones as replacements Dave? 

I think it is an option.  For mine they took part of my patella tendon, but they can also use part of hamstring too.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic as not a striker but if we're looking for a winger then Spurs are apparently considering sending Jack Clarke elsewhere in January

Large Dependency on this question is to where we are, and also where others are.

Take Assombalonga. If Boro continue to be in lower mid table then he’ll likely be available on loan with obligation to buy if promoted to a top six/seven side. (Attendances down, no chance of promotion, need to cut wages at that point). Do I think if we go up he’d be prem quality? Probably not, but you can sell as soon as you’re up and the finances don’t take a hit as you’ve got the prem money (exactly what Wolves did with Benik)

I’d personally go down the route, rather than shelling a huge fee on Watkins (although would like him) or a punt on a player who doesn’t know the league, of getting an Assombalonga, Marriott or a Gayle in on the basis described. 

When you say "Which forward  would you like to buy in January?"  Presumably you mean as a personal choice, and not for the team?   In which case Jamie Vardy is gorgeous, chuck, and i would keep him chained up in my basement 😜😜

Jack Marriott

Lyle Taylor

Sam Surridge

Three realistic options. Some of the suggestions on here (Watkins and Grant for example) are typically unrealistic 

• Like 1

I think it is an option.  For mine they took part of my patella tendon, but they can also use part of hamstring too.

After stretching my ACL the doctor told me to build up the muscles around it to compensate. First game back after months out I snapped it 😫

They used  my patella tendon as well but put it in too long so it didn’t work . Never played again . 

Ah well 

• Sad 1