IGNORED

Another career being thrown away...

Maesknoll Red

19 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Why would you spend £62k on a watch? I love horology and watches, but even if i had the money, nothing would make me part with that amount for a timepiece.

I'm with you on this @BanburyRed………..love my watches.  I currently have some cracking little timepieces - Rorex, Tag Hour, Bleitring, Omegle (oops!) and Patak Phillip to name but a few of 'em.  All original Swiss / Chinese automatic movements and each of 'em runs like a watch  ?️

20 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Why would you spend £62k on a watch? I love horology and watches, but even if i had the money, nothing would make me part with that amount for a timepiece.

I guess people just have different tastes. I’m sure the victim wouldn’t spend a large amount of his income watching Bristol City for example

• Admin
46 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

I'm with you on this @BanburyRed………..love my watches.  I currently have some cracking little timepieces - Rorex, Tag Hour, Bleitring, Omegle (oops!) and Patak Phillip to name but a few of 'em.  All original Swiss / Chinese automatic movements and each of 'em runs like a watch  ?️

I bought a nice Rolex in India, I managed to barter the seller down to 2700 Rupees.  Works fine, although I never wear it,.

perfectly good watches on Trowbridge market for £8.  where do these **** get their money from to pay such stupid money when they can't in all probability tell the time??  from idiots who pay £40 to watch second level football .. .and much more for their Sky subs.  

16 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I bought a nice Rolex in India, I managed to barter the seller down to 2700 Rupees.  Works fine, although I never wear it,.

Many years ago, I was in Singapore enjoying after-dinner drinks with a few colleagues, when the 'cocky' one started boasting about his genuine and quite expensive Rolex Oyster watch he had recently purchased.

The colleague in whose apartment we were drinking suggested it was a waste of money buying a genuine Rolex when, not only were cheap counterfeit versions readily available, but they were virtually indistinguishable from the real thing.

A quite heated discussion then ensued, with the owner of the genuine Rolex arguing that there was no comparison between the genuine and fake versions, whereupon our host produced a biscuit tin containing several fake Rolex watches and challenged the owner of the genuine watch to place his in the tin and retrieve it once the lid had been replaced and the watches mixed up.

I can still recall the petrified look on the face of the owner of the genuine watch when, hesitantly, he retrieved what he believed was his watch and was teased and asked repeatedly whether he was sure he had the right one - he was clearly not at all sure, and, even to this day, I don't know whether his sweating embarrassment was due to the fact he thought he might have retrieved the wrong watch or the realisation that, evidently, there was little difference between the expensive, genuine version and the counterfeit.

As it turned out, my cocky colleague had, indeed, chosen his own genuine watch, and our host explained how to tell the difference between genuine and fake versions - something to do with the sweep of the second hand, although I understand there are other means of checking.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Many years ago, I was in Singapore enjoying after-dinner drinks with a few colleagues, when the 'cocky' one started boasting about his genuine and quite expensive Rolex Oyster watch he had recently purchased.

The colleague in whose apartment we were drinking suggested it was a waste of money buying a genuine Rolex when, not only were cheap counterfeit versions readily available, but they were virtually indistinguishable from the real thing.

A quite heated discussion then ensued, with the owner of the genuine Rolex arguing that there was no comparison between the genuine and fake versions, whereupon our host produced a biscuit tin containing several fake Rolex watches and challenged the owner of the genuine watch to place his in the tin and retrieve it once the lid had been replaced and the watches mixed up.

I can still recall the petrified look on the face of the owner of the genuine watch when, hesitantly, he retrieved what he believed was his watch and was teased and asked repeatedly whether he was sure he had the right one - he was clearly not at all sure, and, even to this day, I don't know whether his sweating embarrassment was due to the fact he thought he might have retrieved the wrong watch or the realisation that, evidently, there was little difference between the expensive, genuine version and the counterfeit.

As it turned out, my cocky colleague had, indeed, chosen his own genuine watch, and our host explained how to tell the difference between genuine and fake versions - something to do with the sweep of the second hand, although I understand there are other means of checking.

I bought a fake one on holiday yonks ago (club 18-30 holiday ?).

Following year in Kavos on the strip in one of those penalty shootout booths, some Greek guy offered to buy it off me.  Can’t remember what money he got to, but along came his mate, checked the sweeping Second hand (or lack of it in my case), and told his mate not to be what I can only assume was Greek for “daft *****”! ?

On 02/10/2019 at 06:21, richwwtk said:

(Allegedly) didn't do Andy Cole's career much harm. It was (allegedly) the reason we got him as easily as we did I thought?

It was another Arsenal youth player from the same era who was convicted of theft (and unsurprisingly one who ended up at Bristol Rovers, like all good reprobates).

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/hillier-did-not-suggest-incidentally-that-he-thought-the-bag-was-a-gift-and-in-any-case-he-intended-1323790.html

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Following year in Kavos on the strip in one of those penalty shootout booths, some Greek guy offered to buy it off me.  Can’t remember what money he got to, but along came his mate, checked the sweeping Second hand (or lack of it in my case), and told his mate not to be what I can only assume was Greek for “daft *****”! ?

Probably just as well - those drachma were probably more fake than your Rolex ?.

On 02/10/2019 at 08:02, wood_red said:

Because they can, and then add in the "look at me and what I got". No doubt if (big if) it was the most expensive in the dressing room, another player would have gone out and bought a watch for £75K. Surely we all know someone like that on a lower scale.

Exactly. I quite fancy a set of speakers worth £159k, and another pair worth over £180k. If I could afford them I'd buy them. Wouldn't be anything to do with showing them off though. Just nice to have the very best sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Wael bought one at the same time but he thinks its real..

2 hours ago, Olé said:

It was another Arsenal youth player from the same era who was convicted of theft (and unsurprisingly one who ended up at Bristol Rovers, like all good reprobates).

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/hillier-did-not-suggest-incidentally-that-he-thought-the-bag-was-a-gift-and-in-any-case-he-intended-1323790.html

I'd not heard of that one. The rumours at the time of us signing Cole was he had been caught dipping into the pockets of other Arsenal players when they were in training. He certainly was never done for it.

Archived