IGNORED

Does Bristol City have an SLO?

Mr Popodopolous

On 27/09/2019 at 16:00, GasDestroyer said:

Unfortunately, the fans are just punters to Bristol Sport. But hey ho, that is the price of progress!!!

Well I can see financial benefits perhaps from the Bristol Sport developments which help the club- increasingly important in an FFP based level.

However at the same time, definitely things I'm not so keen on- 'The Seldom Seen SLO' for a start- seen fit not even to join a platform such as this, with quite a good range of fans!

If he can't or won't engage properly on the correct range of platforms- some may say he should get the 'Elbow'. :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I thought the SLO role was mandated so they had to join various forums to reach the widest audience.

Clearly that isn't the case.

I believed it was the case too- pretty sure it's in UEFA guidelines for the role of an SLO!

He appears to be engaging a bit more on Twitter now though, has been for a little while in fact- 12 tweets in a week!

Can't say I've seen any that marked the 1-0 win v WMP last Monday though!

Indeed, had a brief look.

I would suggest they are not fulfilling this aspect- and arguably one more in this part.

Virtual fans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Monitoring the mood of fans on internet message boards and engaging in dialogue with them where appropriate is another important aspect of the SLO’s job. Increasingly, SLOs are also making use of social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter as part of their communications work. 

Does our current SLO use FB to engage with the fans? The first bit is or should be a running joke by now.

Potentially violent fans/hooligans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Groups of football fans often include a small minority intent on seeking violent conflict with opposing supporters, often at prearranged locations. Other fans who are not normally considered hooligans may resort to violence if they feel they are being unfairly or disproportionately treated by police or stewards, for example. While SLOs will not be able to eliminate violence from football for good, it is essential for them to have access to these groups if they are to contribute to a reduction in violence using approaches based on prevention and de-escalation.

Interesting one. He and his predecessor Matt Parsons should've been all over this case. NOT because anyone was violent but because of the prevention and de-escalation, and the disproportionate treatment element.,

Others are better qualified to answer, but how well does our SLO engage with s82 etc? Again I am not accusing anyone of violence in it but certainly there is  a case to be made that police and stewards have not always been the fairest to them- SLO should be well in there.

Edit- wasn't Rachel Lemar also SLO at one stage? She should as well as Ryan Corrigan and Matt Parsons have been all over it- she may well have been but it's hard to say- anyone know?

Fan projects                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Fan projects have been set up in various countries and concentrate primarily on social work involving cultural and education projects designed to prevent violence among young supporters. One of their major tasks is to provide a permanent line of communication between supporters (hooligans, ultras, etc.) and the club, to improve mutual understanding and thus to initiate sustainable and positive structural and ideological changes on both sides.

Will be honest and say I don't know where to start with this one, so won't even try- anyone?

I get the impression that this doesn't occur much though.

• SC&T Board Members
9 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I thought the SLO role was mandated so they had to join various forums to reach the widest audience.

Clearly that isn't the case.

My understanding is that our SLO is under instruction NOT to engage with fans on OTIB.

Of course, if I'm mistaken, I'd be more than happy to stand corrected and engage with him in lively debate on here.

8 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

My understanding is that our SLO is under instruction NOT to engage with fans on OTIB.

Of course, if I'm mistaken, I'd be more than happy to stand corrected and engage with him in lively debate on here.

They one way we would know this, would be if the SLO came on here and then ran away.

Yes, we can (collectively) be a challenge, but to be giving it a complete swerve makes it sound like the club have no faith in their selected appointment as an effective communicator. 

Especially as this forum has previously operated a 'closed' sub-section with pre approved questions.

14 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

That was clear from the start, Any club officials have been slowly disappearing from here. 

@Mr Popodopolous I remember you being surprised when I called it. 

34 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

:o 

I know @AshtonPark alluded to staff and that being thought this might be the case but to have it confirmed such as this!!

Wow!

18 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

That was clear from the start, Any club officials have been slowly disappearing from here. 

@Mr Popodopolous I remember you being surprised when I called it. 

I was indeed and was wondering about it when you mentioned it, but a non liaising SLO with instructions seemingly to that end on a platform in particular- that's fairly stunning (in a bad way)!

You certainly called it.

I wonder why it's the case!

@Up The City! you've defended Bristol Sport on this forum in recent days, staff read it etc- might you wish to revisit this view in the wake of such a revelation?

That's not to say I am criticising every individual who works for Bristol Sport or who predated working for AG in whatever capacity but it definitely seems a change for the worse!!

23 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

What a sad sad reflection on the Club 

How many of these were around in 82 when we dipped into our pockets to save the Club

Truly disgraceful

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What a sad sad reflection on the Club 

How many of these were around in 82 when we dipped into our pockets to save the Club

Truly disgraceful

Let’s not forget who set this forum up in the first instance. The club itself. 

Ashton and co might want to remember that.  Is OTIB worse than the stuff I read on Twitter, Facebook and elsewhere? Nope. The clubs overall damning of it continues to annoy me greatly. They seem to think it’s some sort of horrible place and no other club has a forum like it. Remember when Sheffield Wednesday sued one of their own - is that next? 

Under it’s independent status we’ve never had to close it down for a) abuse to the manager.  *cough Pulis* nor b) for fake reports of players involved in car crashes. 

Find a company marketing manager who thinks adopting a policy of not engaging with its client base is a good thing. Sure it’s never an easy thing but we all have to do it or see it done in our jobs/workplaces. 

42 minutes ago, TomF said:

Under it’s independent status we’ve never had to close it down for a) abuse to the manager.  *cough Pulis* nor b) for fake reports of players involved in car crashes. 

Governance seems much better than Twitter & some of the so called "fan" pages on the Facebook. The debate can sure get lively but by and large it's (fairly) respectful and good natured (unless you stray onto the Brexit thread?) with the mantra of attack the post, not the poster being a good way to pull back anything that becomes too personal. 

For the SLO to be instructed NOT to engage on here is, frankly, bizarre. Ever since the days of the Netcentre, there and here have been the only places to go to for all things BCFC.

Very odd indeed 

10 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Governance seems much better than Twitter & some of the so called "fan" pages on the Facebook. The debate can sure get lively but by and large it's (fairly) respectful and good natured (unless you stray onto the Brexit thread?) with the mantra of attack the post, not the poster being a good way to pull back anything that becomes too personal. 

For the SLO to be instructed NOT to engage on here is, frankly, bizarre. Ever since the days of the Netcentre, there and here have been the only places to go to for all things BCFC.

Very odd indeed 

Bottom line is, those jointly at the helm now don’t want to engage with the fan base unless it suits them. Quite happy to do Facebook videos asking us to get behind the team though. . . 

4 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Bottom line is, those jointly at the helm now don’t want to engage with the fan base unless it suits them. Quite happy to do Facebook videos asking us to get behind the team though. . . 

Agreed - but you have to question the long term wisdom of such a policy. 

Archived