IGNORED

Glastonbury 2020

winterbournered

On 08/10/2019 at 10:59, mozo said:

Yeah, same.

Any ideas for Glasto alternatives? Anyone? Help!

Obviously nothing competes with the scale and scope of Glastonbury but Green Man and End of the Road are both really great festivals with a good atmosphere about them and generally very decent, if not massively famous, line-ups. They're probably my two favourite non-Glastonbury festivals in the UK. 

Abroad, I've been to Primavera in Barcelona. It's a non-camping festival where you stay in the city and what the music overnight but it is by the sea, awesome weather and generally a great line-up. 

18 hours ago, internetjef said:

Macca confirmed Sat night. Bosh! 

What a booking 

I think it's about the least inspiring booking Eavis has ever made.

He headlined there 12 festivals ago. He was OK then (I went to that one) but now he'll just be doing the same set but as a man in his late-70s.

I guess he's in the "see him one last time before he dies" slot, like James Brown and BB King.

On 19/11/2019 at 12:16, Red-Robbo said:

He headlined there 12 festivals ago. He was OK then (I went to that one) but now he'll just be doing the same set but as a man in his late-70s.

I guess he's in the "see him one last time before he dies" slot, like James Brown and BB King.

Fair play , I didn’t start going to 2007 so I haven’t seen him before at Glasto (or anywhere else). Have always wanted to see him but not sure I would have dropped £100+ I guess to go to one of his own shows. So for me it’s a great booking at least. 

I have heard some chatter his voice is actually better now than it has been in last few years which sounds encouraging. Sure the tv coverage will expose the cracks, but I imagine 10 pints down with 80,000 people singing along around me I won’t notice live ha.

25 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Fair play , I didn’t start going to 2007 so I haven’t seen him before at Glasto (or anywhere else). Have always wanted to see him but not sure I would have dropped £100+ I guess to go to one of his own shows. So for me it’s a great booking at least. 

I have heard some chatter his voice is actually better now than it has been in last few years which sounds encouraging. Sure the tv coverage will expose the cracks, but I imagine 10 pints down with 80,000 people singing along around me I won’t notice live ha.

Indeed. Live performances usually sound total shite on TV, which is why I rarely watch the BBC's Glastonbury coverage despite having been a regular festival-goer for 30 years.

"Live" albums that get released routinely have overdubs and pitch correction added in mixing to make things sound a bit better.

On 19/11/2019 at 12:16, Red-Robbo said:

I didn't see him last time he played but saw him at the O2 in 2015 after being offered a very cheap ticket for reasons way too convoluted to explain here. To be fair, from the point of view someone who obviously likes the Beatles but is by no means an enthusiast, he was utterly superb.

But I do agree about the uninspiringness of the booking. I do wonder if the 2020 line-up on the whole will be exceptionally weighted towards nostalgia and a sort of "best of" of the acts who have played over the years. Which might mean there are some incredible names but isn't necessarily what Glastonbury line-ups should be about...

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I didn't see him last time he played but saw him at the O2 in 2015 after being offered a very cheap ticket for reasons way too convoluted to explain here. To be fair, from the point of view someone who obviously likes the Beatles but is by no means an enthusiast, he was utterly superb.

But I do agree about the uninspiringness of the booking. I do wonder if the 2020 line-up on the whole will be exceptionally weighted towards nostalgia and a sort of "best of" of the acts who have played over the years. Which might mean there are some incredible names but isn't necessarily what Glastonbury line-ups should be about...

It isn't helped by a cloth-eared media who endlessly harp on about a few "big names", often those acts of yestayear you note, but ignore the fact that most real music fans get their kicks from among the other 3,000+ names playing.

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

It's only people who have never been or don't get Glastonbury that ever mock the headliners. Though thankfully, the more that hate it, the better chance I have in the resale!

Exactly that. If you’ve ever been you know it’s not about the headliners. 

• Admin
3 hours ago, nebristolred said:

It's only people who have never been or don't get Glastonbury that ever mock the headliners. Though thankfully, the more that hate it, the better chance I have in the resale!

It's amazing how much there is on the site to do away from the music too.

I must admit you can't beat seeing a favourite band on a random small stage somewhere

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Every time I go, I always tell myself I'll try and spend more time watching things in the cabaret and circus field. Admittedly I never ever actually do but I always tell myself I will..

I did that this year due to the lack of bands really wanted to see and really really enjoyed it. Possibly my fav year since the 1990s. Weather helped too!

Archived