IGNORED

Jack Hunt, again (Merged)

Kid in the Riot

1 hour ago, mozo said:

If that had happened to a City player the reaction on here would be ever so slightly different!

Not at all. He gave him a tiny little shove, in return for the one he got, and because Canos was so close to the boards (and because he's a primadona drama queen) he went over them. If the advertising boards weren't so close to the pitch I doubt either player would have even been booked, as Canos would have just stumbled back a bit from the push.

If that had been in reverse, I would have suggested that Hunt deserved it for being a twat.

10 hours ago, mozo said:

I actually think that Brentford can feel aggrieved that he got away with what many would consider violent conduct, then set up the goal.

BUT...totally agree that he's really kicked on this season. I think most of us were hoping that Pereira would slot straight in as our new right back but Hunt has not just shown a real desire on the pitch but the quality of his crossing has been Premier League standard.

Agreed,,, if that gets referred and he ends up with a retrospective ban for that shove, then it wont go down very well.

Always thought last season he got unnecessary stick, I used to come away from games thinking he did ok only to come on here and find him getting slagged off. Last season he kept picking up knocks so I suppose that had an impact on his overall form being put in and out of the side, this season he's started most games and is staying fit. Probably one of the best RB's in the league at the moment, definitely the best RB at crossing. Long may it continue with another assist on Saturday! 

9 minutes ago, Nibor said:

He's definitely contributing a lot more than last season, looks comfortable defending and decent delivery going forward.

He was decent enough defending last season but his crossing was inconsistent at best.

This season that part of his game is the one element that has dramatically improved - as his stats are showing and the main reason  why he’s getting such plaudits.

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

How many points has he 'assisted' us winning this season?

Derby, Hull, Brentford...Boro was it?

Of our 17 points accumulated so far he must have played a significant part in winning at least 5/6 of them. 

Both goals vs Stoke. Goal vs QPR cup.

31 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Agreed,,, if that gets referred and he ends up with a retrospective ban for that shove, then it wont go down very well.

Don’t think it can be referred.  Ref saw it, gave a yellow...not sure anything can be done now.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t think it can be referred.  Ref saw it, gave a yellow...not sure anything can be done now.

That’s my understanding too. The incident was dealt with at the time so no further action.

Do we sometimes judge him based on how he looks? I mean, he's got this slightly neanderthal gait, looks like an extra from Romper Stomper, and you wouldn't expect to see him on the cover of Men's Health.

But his energy levels and work rate are top notch, his crossing is a delight, even his link up play on the wing is relatively intelligent. And the strike against QPR was exquisite. 

I always thought he was a weak link, but I need to reassess...

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Do we sometimes judge him based on how he looks? I mean, he's got this slightly neanderthal gait, looks like an extra from Romper Stomper, and you wouldn't expect to see him on the cover of Men's Health.

But his energy levels and work rate are top notch, his crossing is a delight, even his link up play on the wing is relatively intelligent. And the strike against QPR was exquisite. 

I always thought he was a weak link, but I need to reassess...

No, his crossing was actually very poor last season. This season it is very good and he's getting the credit.

47 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Not at all. He gave him a tiny little shove, in return for the one he got, and because Canos was so close to the boards (and because he's a primadona drama queen) he went over them. If the advertising boards weren't so close to the pitch I doubt either player would have even been booked, as Canos would have just stumbled back a bit from the push.

If that had been in reverse, I would have suggested that Hunt deserved it for being a ****.

You do sound ever so slightly biased there ?

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've rated him for a few years so was quite underwhelmed with his performances last season. His distribution was frustrating.

The improvement is fantastic to see - I wonder what's bought it on? Perhaps he's over a small underlying injury that wasn't quite enough to stop him playing.

My view too....thought we’d signed a “proper” RB last summer, and thought he was in and out last season.  Not as bad as sone made out last season, but not as good as I expected.  Defensively he was good too last night.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've rated him for a few years so was quite underwhelmed with his performances last season. His distribution was frustrating.

The improvement is fantastic to see - I wonder what's bought it on? Perhaps he's over a small underlying injury that wasn't quite enough to stop him playing.

There was one game last season, I can't be bothered to work out which, where Hunt literally put in a Premier League wing back performance, and it was a glimpse of what he's capable of. Maybe the competition with Pereira will bring the best out of him this season.

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

You do sound ever so slightly biased there ?

I've re-read it, and can't really see anything that's biased. Do you honestly think that Hunt's push was anything more than happens on every pitch, every week? The only difference was that he was right next to the advertising boards, so it looked dramatic. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My view too....thought we’d signed a “proper” RB last summer, and thought he was in and out last season.  Not as bad as sone made out last season, but not as good as I expected.  Defensively he was good too last night.

Yeah he's one player (like Afobe actually) who I've wanted us to bring in for many years. Was really happy when we got him but was a bit underwhelmed last season. I expected him to play more how he's playing this season - getting up and down the pitch and providing a threat from wide.

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

There was one game last season, I can't be bothered to work out which, where Hunt literally put in a Premier League wing back performance, and it was a glimpse of what he's capable of. Maybe the competition with Pereira will bring the best out of him this season.

Good point, feel a bit sorry for Pereira but on this form he won't get a game. That reminds me, I had a strange dream last night where (despite him being on loan) we'd sold Pereira to an Italian side. That'll teach me for eating cheese before bed.

3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I've re-read it, and can't really see anything that's biased. Do you honestly think that Hunt's push was anything more than happens on every pitch, every week? The only difference was that he was right next to the advertising boards, so it looked dramatic. 

I think the descriptions 'tiny little shove' and 'primadona drama queen' might have made me think that ?

Remember what Beckham got sent off for in the 98 world cup? Some refs get really funny about the slightest aggression especially in front of the home fans.

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think the descriptions 'tiny little shove' and 'primadona drama queen' might have made me think that ?

Remember what Beckham got sent off for in the 98 world cup? Some refs get really funny about the slightest aggression especially in front of the home fans.

On the contrary, I believe both phrases are indisputable facts. Especially the 'primadona drama queen' part. He really is. :smartass:

I don't disagree that many refs would have sent him off, I'm just saying that the advertising boards being so close made it look a lot worse than it was! 

Think he has had a terrific start to the season.

Been consistently solid (bar a half hour spell against QPR I think?) going forward and backwards.

Yet another great cross for Weimann's goal last night. 5 assists last season and already 2 so far this one.

Personally think he's been one of our best and underappreciated (at the time) recent signings!

Does he have a song??

Archived