IGNORED

Rob Palmer Sky commentator tonight

steveybadger

10 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

He really didn’t like Bentley did he? Ok DB dropped 1 cross but redeemed himself with a save straight after, and to my mind was fairly solid apart from that. The goal I think was much more the scorer having all the time he wanted to pick his spot.

First half hour he didn't mention him at all !:P

11 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

He really didn’t like Bentley did he? Ok DB dropped 1 cross but redeemed himself with a save straight after, and to my mind was fairly solid apart from that. The goal I think was much more the scorer having all the time he wanted to pick his spot.

I thought his commentary was awful all the way through.

Bit about Bentley punching, was the first time he’d punched in the game.

LJ didn’t tackle Norgaard.

Only mentioned Canos’s shove on Hunt after the ref gave both a yellow.

I wonder if someone sat alongside kept nudging him and saying you’ve got that wrong again.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder if someone sat alongside kept nudging him and saying you’ve got that wrong again.

I think I would have rathered I carried on listening to the Derby game.

This guy was a utter joke. He very rarely described what was going on on the pitch and when he did he was way behind the actual play. 

When a player had ball he would just say their names instead of describing what they were doing.

Also he didn't mention the item that was thrown at Bentley.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was something about Semenyo "awaiting his first goal for his new club" as well.

Yes I said same in match thread. Strange. If you just listened to him without watching the game, you’d think Bentley would be dropped for the next match for a string of blunders. If he was commentating on that next match, he wouldn’t realise Bentley wasn’t playing for the first 5 minutes (same as for our subs tonight!)

Thought exactly the same. Just after he dropped the ball (the only mistake he actually made), he made a comment along the lines of "he keeps making good saves, but has gifted them most of the chances himself" which was absolute rubbish.

It also took him around 10 minutes to realise that we'd made a double substitution at half time - he even referred to Semenyo a few times when he wasn't even on the pitch! 

In the second half, Bentley dived to his left to make a good save, pushing the ball out for a corner. The commentator suggested that his save was "one for the camera which he probably could have caught". I was so annoyed.

It was as though the Sky producer had, before the match, wandered into a group of Brentford fans, given one of them a microphone and a programme and told him to do his best.

Was only a small thing but another one I found strange was Brentford had a cross which deflected and then headed to our goal, which Bentley tipped over, he said "Bentley misjudged the ball and just gets to it" only for the co commentator to say it had deflected and Bentley does very well to adjust himself and make the save. How was he possibly meant to know the ball would be deflected when coming for the cross.. All seemed very very odd.. 

Just now, Negan said:

Was only a small thing but another one I found strange was Brentford had a cross which deflected and then headed to our goal, which Bentley tipped over, he said "Bentley misjudged the ball and just gets to it" only for the co commentator to say it had deflected and Bentley does very well to adjust himself and make the save. How was he possibly meant to know the ball would be deflected when coming for the cross.. All seemed very very odd.. 

Yep it was clearly a very good reaction save. I think I'd called him a daft *** by then

38 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

In the second half, Bentley dived to his left to make a good save, pushing the ball out for a corner. The commentator suggested that his save was "one for the camera which he probably could have caught". I was so annoyed.

It was as though the Sky producer had, before the match, wandered into a group of Brentford fans, given one of them a microphone and a programme and told him to do his best.

I know Gary Owers mentioned a save as "one for the camera" can't remember when in the game, but,  I wonder if it was the same save?

34 minutes ago, martnewts said:

It also took him five minutes into the second half to work out we had made subs at half time 

Also failed to mention how many minutes injury time at end.  I almost wondered if he was commentating on it via video stream himself. 

Sky’s coverage seems to be one of extremes in that you watch the premier league you get too many replays of every incident on the pitch that takes away from time in the actual match in play to the red button coverage that looked like it was filmed by a 10 year old on his phone ,as for the commentary there’s nothing more I can add to the above posts!

3 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

Sky’s coverage seems to be one of extremes in that you watch the premier league you get too many replays of every incident on the pitch that takes away from time in the actual match in play to the red button coverage that looked like it was filmed by a 10 year old on his phone ,as for the commentary there’s nothing more I can add to the above posts!

It’s made me consider using VPN and £5 next time.

1 minute ago, OnCider said:

Was it just me or was the red button coverage about 2 minutes behind?  I got the equaliser notification through BBC 2 minutes before I saw it on TV.  Kind of took the enjoyment out of it.

Sky Q is behind Sky.  My dad kept texting me with “good save” etc, a good minute or two before I saw it.

46 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

They're only allowed one camera on the red button, no replays etc. Part of the trade-off with the clubs for being able to show the red button games at all. The idea is that if you want more than a basic feed, you pay the club a tenner to watch it online.

Last night's camera angle was particularly limited though, because it was at a lower height than normal. Very difficult to see what was happening on the far side of the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Last night's camera angle was particularly limited though, because it was at a lower height than normal. Very difficult to see what was happening on the far side of the pitch.

For the last couple of minutes of the first half, the cameraman did seem to discover that his camera had a zoom function, as we could actually see what was happening on the far side of the pitch. Unfortunately, he forgot again in the second half... 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Also failed to mention how many minutes injury time at end.  I almost wondered if he was commentating on it via video stream himself. 

I wonder this every time. It must cost a pretty packet to send commentators to every game on the red button. They may also have summarisers there too reporting back to Soccer Special.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were holed up in Sky Towers round a TV.

Rob Palmer.....come on down!  You have been awarded the......."We all agree "Roger Malone is a Winker" trophy, for services (NOT) to the world of commentary.  Please don't call us.........we'll call you.  (As if?)  PS.  I tried using the correct vernacular.........but "Big Brother" changed it to Manual Manipulator?    Really?

Archived