IGNORED

Ratings v Brentford (a) 1-1

Davefevs

Found that a frustrating watch on the red button.  Got out of jail imho, with half-time changes making a fairly even game into one that Brentford should have won.

Usual full marks only, 6/10 being a player earning their corn:

Bentley (6) - decent enough, but the odd panic moment thrown in.  Great save at near post from corner in second half.  Might’ve been getting a lot of stick from home fans.  I only saw the goal as it hit the net as was daughter’s bedtime!!

Hunt (8) - my MOTM - really solid against Benrhama, brilliant cross for Weimann’s goal.  5th assist of the season (if you include own goals that some sites don’t).  Great work with Canos, who shoved him first.  Top shithousery.  Well played Jack.

Moore (6) - 45m - not sure he did much wrong tonight.  Missed the odd pass-on, but decent enough.

Williams (6) - pretty assured at the back, but had his work cut out with Watkins playing directly on him.  Think that’s why LJ went back 4.  Error-free though.  Almost a 7.

Baker (7) - really good game, in the type of game where you worry he’ll get exposed.  Let Canos know he was around with a fierce tackle, and followed it up with a brilliant tackle inside our box a few minutes later.  Second half he strode forward a few times.

Rowe (6) - solid up against Canos, and finished the game well, being a bit more physical.

Brownhill (7) - held the midfield together tonight against a better Brentford midfield than I expected.  Always available and more and more I see our captain driving us on.

Massengo (6) - 74m - quiet 20-25, but got better as first half went on, linking with Palmer and starting to show what he might bring in advanced positions.  Felt he’s barkers ran off him a few times tonight.

Palmer (8) - but not MOTM - pulled the strings for City tonight, and should’ve given us the lead despite Weimann’s pass not being perfect.  Started to link with Weimann and a Semenyo...and Massengo.  Good to see him get 90.  More of this please Kasey.

Weimann (6) - didn’t get much service, but quiet game.  Fantastic header, some finish.  Now top scorer with 4.  Kick on now Andi.

Semenyo (5) - 45m - involved in some good stuff, but can only assume it was him that LJ was screaming at for not doing the hard yards in the press / closing passing lanes.  I’d still persevere with him over Diedhiou.

Subs:

Eliasson (5) - 45m - not on it tonight.  Ball watching twice within 5 minutes of coming on, and Henry bossed him.  Two good crosses, but his introduction is at expense of our shape imho.

Diedhiou (4) - 45m - maybe i've now got a downer on him, but that was not good enough.  45 mins to go and show the boss you’re worthy of a place.  Ambled around.  Weimann closing down his player, is not acceptable.  Was he worried about missing Brazil?

O’Dowda (6) - 16m - did ok, couple of runs.

Bentley - 7 - dropped one but made up for it very well. Made some cracking saves and some good distribution. 

Hunt - 7 - great assist but want to see more of that from him throughout a game. Defensively struggled at times. 

Moore - 6.5 - Unfortunate to be taken off, looked decent. 

Williams - 7 - reliable.

Baker - 8 - solid, good passing, won  everything in the air. Cracking game. 

Rowe - 6 - solid but didn’t do enough to deserve higher. 

Brownhill - 6 - not sure what he brought to the party tonight. Neat passer but so is HNM. Needs to bring some different quality to balance a middle two in my opinion. 

HNM - 6 - again very tidy, but didn’t grab the game and dictate which id like to see. 

Palmer - 7.5 - creative spark, some superb flicks and great at keeping possession when you think he’s lost it. Naturally got tired and less effective as the game went on. 

Semenyo - 5.5 - didn’t offer much of a threat. Needs dropping in my opinion and brought on against tiring legs to be more effective and build confidence. 

Weimann - 6 - well taken goal, and some good runs but first half non existent. 

————

Fam - 6 - missed some easy balls through. Won some good headers but he doesn’t help himself. 

Elliasson - 6 - some terrific balls in. Really need a formation so we can start him. 

ODowda - NA 

Semenyo is being given a great chance to take the first team forward role now Afobe is injured and it just feels he does not have the energy or desire. He plays well enough but is so casual, he should at least have the same energy as Weinman but... I don't know, really wanted him to be given an opportunity but really feeling he's doing himself no favours.

Bentley 7 - one bad moment but other than that was very good again 
Hunt 8 MOTM - great assist and stuck to his task admirably against a tricky winger
Moore 8 - seems like I’m in the minority who thought he was excellent tonight
Williams 7 - kept a top striker silent 
Baker 8 - goal saving challenge marks him up from a 7. 
Rowe 6 - another solid but unspectacular display 
Massengo 7 - he was everywhere first half then faded second but constantly overran 
Brownhill 6 - not quite at it tonight but very hard with lack of midfield support 
Palmer 6 - excellent first half in possession but marked down for missing easy chance. Game passed him by second half I thought 
Semenyo 6 - underated first half. Don’t think he was as bad as others seem too. Won his fair share of headers 
Weimann 7 - ran around hell of a lot as usual and a great header
Subs 
Diedhiou 5 - starting to become a constant source of frustration 
Elliason 6 - still got work to do if he wants to become a regular starter. Far too one dimensional for me 
COD 6 - not on long 

6 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Dieudhiou no more than 2. Lack of closing down and on his heels for two perfect Palmer through balls. Not good enough even as an option off the bench and must be moved on in January.

Provided us with a different option and attracted defenders. Palmers through ball was too strong for him. 

Absolutely no point in moving him on, we’re lacking strikers as it is. Getting rid of one of our main ones would be ridiculous 

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Provided us with a different option and attracted defenders. Palmers through ball was too strong for him. 

Absolutely no point in moving him on, we’re lacking strikers as it is. Getting rid of one of our main ones would be ridiculous 

You are being very generous.  That was not acceptable.  Not the response I would want from a guy given a full 45 to prove his worth over Semenyo.  Other players play better with Semenyo on the pitch, regardless of how good, bad or indifferent he plays.  Really disappointed with Fam, because he is better than what we saw tonight.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I hope Semenyo is given a run at Reading's defence at home on Saturday. Then talk to him and work on his game over the international break. Dropping him now achieves very little.

Tonight was first time he’s played two on the trot.  Couldn’t agree more.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You are being very generous.  That was not acceptable.  Not the response I would want from a guy given a full 45 to prove his worth over Semenyo.  Other players play better with Semenyo on the pitch, regardless of how good, bad or indifferent he plays.  Really disappointed with Fam, because he is better than what we saw tonight.

I’d say that’s harsh. He had little service and won the majority of things that were put his way. 

Yes he could have been better but I don’t think it was unacceptable. The effort was there, the service was lacking 

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I’d say that’s harsh. He had little service and won the majority of things that were put his way. 

Yes he could have been better but I don’t think it was unacceptable. The effort was there, the service was lacking 

We probably won’t agree here (that’s fine), but you can’t always rely on service, you make your own luck in this game.  He stood in the centre of the pitch, whilst Weimann ran 40 yards (20 of them past Fam) past him to close down.  Another ball hit into left channel is chased down by O’Dowda (I think), Fam ambles in the inside right position, making no attempt to get himself central to close a passing lane when Raya got the ball.  It was a lacklustre sub appearance.

He’s not always bad, like some people think he is.  But tonight is the kind of effort I’d be fuming at.  I reckon Semenyo would’ve got a bollocking from LJ at h-t....he’ll be in the coach back tonight thinking “eff me, I got subbed for that!”.

45 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Dieudhiou no more than 2. Lack of closing down and on his heels for two perfect Palmer through balls. Not good enough even as an option off the bench and must be moved on in January.

For all the flack FD gets, his goal record is pretty damn good for this level

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

For all the flack FD gets, his goal record is pretty damn good for this level

His goals to games ratio is better than '20 goal a season' Assombalonga's record for Boro despite Britt only netting 15 in his best Championship season. The amount of flack Famara gets is ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Coppello said:

His goals to games ratio is better than '20 goal a season' Assombalonga's record for Boro despite Britt only netting 15 in his best Championship season. The amount of flack Famara gets is ridiculous. 

But tonight imho it was deserved ?

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But tonight imho it was deserved ?

I was going to clarify after posting that I actually read the thread from the bottom up and didn't really contextualise the post I quoted. But from what I saw tonight, he didn't really make much of an impact I'd agree. 

As a side note, how good has Jack Hunt been this season? He was probably the weakest player in the team last year but Pereira, who seems to be of good pedigree, can't get a look in. 

Edit: I've just noticed the 25 post Jack Hunt thread. ?‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Coppello said:

There should be a lot  more to a striker like fams game than goals . It may sound daft but it’s true. He’s not a lineker type, come alive in the box type striker. His general all round game is poor. He makes things more difficult for the midfield than he should . His movement is poor his intelligence is poor . 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

There should be a lot  more to a striker like fams game than goals . It may sound daft but it’s true. He’s not a lineker type, come alive in the box type striker. His general all round game is poor. He makes things more difficult for the midfield than he should . His movement is poor his intelligence is poor . 

I sound really down on Fam, but I will be very disappointed if Fam starts on Saturday....although I can see it happening.  If he does I’ll get behind him, because he does have ability to make us “experts” (???) look foolish.

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don't disagree with that and he is quite ugly to watch but he does notch up a decent number of goals. I'm happy for him to be a squad member and would be nervous if he were to be replaced by an unknown quantity in the not too distant future. 

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

There should be a lot  more to a striker like fams game than goals . It may sound daft but it’s true. He’s not a lineker type, come alive in the box type striker. His general all round game is poor. He makes things more difficult for the midfield than he should . His movement is poor his intelligence is poor

With all due respect, you don't score that many goals by having poor movement and intelligence

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I sound really down on Fam, but I will be very disappointed if Fam starts on Saturday....although I can see it happening.  If he does I’ll get behind him, because he does have ability to make us “experts” (???) look foolish.

I’ll get behind him when he’s on the pitch however  exasperating it’ll be. My main frustration with him Dave is his lack of intelligence and anticipation . You can tell Palmer doesn’t like playing with him. You get scenarios of KP with the ball creating a yard , looking to play fam in only for the run not to come or mistimed. Kasey getting robbed because he’s had to dwell to long or having to give the ball short and all momentum lost. He come towards the ball too much imo making it easier for defenders and know one willing to run behind him because they’re not confident in him to provide for them. Very frustrating player 

5 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I don't disagree with that and he is quite ugly to watch but he does notch up a decent number of goals. I'm happy for him to be a squad member and would be nervous if he were to be replaced by an unknown quantity in the not too distant future. 

I see LJ wanting to play a certain way with nippy intelligent interchanging  runners . When fam comes on he completely changes the way we want to play. 

I wouldn't be nervous about getting rid of fam if it was for a maupay/pukki/Gayle type of player 

6 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

With all due respect, you don't score that many goals by having poor movement and intelligence

Well imo his movement and intelligence are poor. If his anticipation was better rather than being on his heals he’d score a lot more and when you say that many goals he’s hardly prolific. 

He’s  fine if we were still fighting at the bottom of the table but fam will not be in a side that gets promoted out of this league

Archived