IGNORED

Ratings v Brentford (a) 1-1

Davefevs

Bentley 7. Very good. One terrible drop of the ball, but some good saves.

Hunt 7. Very good and created winner. Works so hard.

Rowe 5. Offers almost nothing going forward. We ideally need a wing back who gets up and down the line better, everything is coming down our right.

Williams 7. Superb positioning and solid. I find not as good on ball as what people think though.

Baker 7. Solid and aggressive. Fantastic challenge, really showed pace too to get there. 

Moore 6. Thought he was most shaky of our back 3. Did some decent blocks and challenges though.

Massengo 6. Good first half, not so good second.

Brownhill 7. Works his socks off. Good again. Not sure how often he plays less than a 7, so consistent.

Palmer 6. Good first half, poor second. Looked tired but actually not as tired as I thought he would. Second half most performances down to LJ silly changes mainly. Played 2 great through balls to Fam to be fair.

Weimann 7. Worked his socks off. Great header. Great chip to Palmer for his one on one.

Semenyo 7. Don't understand the criticism. Not massively involved but did good things. Pressed well, won headers. Looks ideal partner for Weimann from what we have.

Subs

Eliasson 6. Some good things and battled well.

O'Dowda 6. Decent energy, no support from Rowe when he ran with it meant he was too isolated.

Diedhiou 5. Don't get why he was brought on. Poor performance. I have always disagreed with most that say he needs a strike partner. Would rather have him on his own when he plays. Too much dropping back when in a 2. Hope he doesn't start Saturday.

I agree with everyone who think Weimann was worth more than 6.

Our constant pressing is largely down to his tireless chasing and directing his team mates to do the same. I honestly don’t know where he gets all that energy from.

And he scored a wonderful goal from the excellent cross by Hunt.

8 hours ago, Hare Island said:

Dieudhiou no more than 2. Lack of closing down and on his heels for two perfect Palmer through balls. Not good enough even as an option off the bench and must be moved on in January.

Due to lack of numbers/options we couldn't afford to "get rid" even in January....not good enough though for sure!

If we can get anywhere vaguely close to what we shell'd out on him at the end of the season,,(or maybe take a hit even) he has to be moved on - '

18 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Due to lack of numbers/options we couldn't afford to "get rid" even in January....not good enough though for sure!

If we can get anywhere vaguely close to what we shell'd out on him at the end of the season,,(or maybe take a hit even) he has to be moved on - '

It would be tough to find two new strikers but I believe this is what we need to do. Hopefully a Senegal goal or two will boost his profile and a move to China could happen. Afobe’s impact in a few short weeks has shown just how deficient Famara is in a team otherwise set up to challenge. 

Nothing against Famara personally but that is the cold hard truth. Some of that Webster cash I’m sure will be splashed on a striker regardless of what happens to Famara but even as an option off the bench I just don’t think he’s up to it.

9 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I hope Semenyo is given a run at Reading's defence at home on Saturday. Then talk to him and work on his game over the international break. Dropping him now achieves very little.

God I hope not. Start Fam.

48 minutes ago, Super said:

Early days I know but Semenyo has done nothing to suggest he is up to it at this level.

I think there are flashes to say he is....but of course you could label that at a lot of players.

Two starts in two tough away games....two draws....two okayish performances.  Not set the world on fire, but the football we’ve played whilst he’s been on the pitch has been chalk and cheese.

I would now be starting him again v Reading on Saturday.

Crazy people scapegoating Semenyo now that Fam isn’t starting.

The two strikers had the ball pelted at them yesterday, funnily enough neither were winning the ball against Jansson and the rest of the Brentford defence with the ball being flung at their faces for the whole of the first half. You could see how visibly frustrated Weimann was getting yesterday.

The one time Semenyo got the ball into his feet he took one touch and pushed it out to Weimann to set up the sitter for Palmer, exactly what we wanted him to do in the counter attacking setup we lined up with yesterday. 

Im going to stick my head on the line and say Massengo was not great yesterday for what we were trying to do. We know what he brings to the game defensively and he broke up the play up well a few times. However the first half whenever he picked up the ball and had the chance to push it quickly forward to Kasey or the front two he seemed to opt to slow it down and play it to the full back. This just meant it got hoofed up to the front two who were never winning that kind of duel against Jansson and co. Coupled with the fact he gave the ball away a few times in the second half didn’t mark a great night for the youngster. But he seems to have a great head on his shoulders and I am sure he will have learnt from this match! 

Weimann imperious as ever, I’m convinced that when Nagy and Kalas are back we will go back to 4 at the back with Nagy and Brownhill in the middle, and with that the quality of our play will get better. 

7 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

The two strikers had the ball pelted at them yesterday, funnily enough neither were winning the ball against Jansson and the rest of the Brentford defence with the ball being flung at their faces for the whole of the first half. You could see how visibly frustrated Weimann was getting yesterday.

The one time Semenyo got the ball into his feet he took one touch and pushed it out to Weimann to set up the sitter for Palmer, exactly what we wanted him to do in the counter attacking setup we lined up with yesterday. 

Im going to stick my head on the line and say Massengo was not great yesterday for what we were trying to do. We know what he brings to the game defensively and he broke up the play up well a few times. However the first half whenever he picked up the ball and had the chance to push it quickly forward to Kasey or the front two he seemed to opt to slow it down and play it to the full back. This just meant it got hoofed up to the front two who were never winning that kind of duel against Jansson and co. Coupled with the fact he gave the ball away a few times in the second half didn’t mark a great night for the youngster. But he seems to have a great head on his shoulders and I am sure he will have learnt from this match! 

Weimann imperious as ever, I’m convinced that when Nagy and Kalas are back we will go back to 4 at the back with Nagy and Brownhill in the middle, and with that the quality of our play will get better. 

Spot on. ??

16 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Nobody is scapegoating him, I haven't seen anything in the lad that's all. Probably needs another loan in League one in Jan.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just watched the Quest highlights, I wrongly gave Bentley a 6 last night.  In hindsight, a 7 or 8.  Made some cracking saves.

For me Bentley was MOTM, kept us in the game. AW was excellent, continuously closing down the oppo and took his chance well.

A well earned point against a team who pressed us all over the pitch and passed with precision, they will turn over a fair number of teams at Griffin Park.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just watched the Quest highlights, I wrongly gave Bentley a 6 last night.  In hindsight, a 7 or 8.  Made some cracking saves.

Agree with your ratings pretty much. Bents did make some important saves but, I wish he would catch more (that drop may explain that though), Basso would have caught most of those and he was 3 feet shorter :laughcont:

Semenyo, funny one. I really want him to do well, but he didn't press, he closed, and with no great intent either. For me on Saturday, Weimann starts up top, ODowda comes in for Semenyo and plays the role Weimann has been playing. I just want to see someone with AW's movement making space for others, like Afobe was doing. I think he deserves a start leading the line. 

One last shout for Hunt, under rated by many, what was it Dave, 5 assists? deserves to keep his place.

10 hours ago, Hare Island said:

Dieudhiou no more than 2. Lack of closing down and on his heels for two perfect Palmer through balls. Not good enough even as an option off the bench and must be moved on in January.

Won the ball back 3 or 4 times in the first 15 minutes of the second half.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think giving Weimann a 6 was very unfair @Davefevs

Joint candidate for MOTM with Palmer and Hunt for me.

If we could clone him, we'd have won the match.

Semenyo, by contrast, has yet to convince.

Thought he had a quiet game...I take his workrate as a given.  Generally it wasn’t a great team performance, so I can’t give lots of high marks.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he had a quiet game...I take his workrate as a given.  Generally it wasn’t a great team performance, so I can’t give lots of high marks.

I'll agree with that last line. He was our only threatening forward, so deserves recognition.

I was sat among Brentford fans, so perhaps it was as well there wasn't much to cheer about!  :crying:

12 hours ago, Fiale said:

Semenyo is being given a great chance to take the first team forward role now Afobe is injured and it just feels he does not have the energy or desire. He plays well enough but is so casual, he should at least have the same energy as Weinman but... I don't know, really wanted him to be given an opportunity but really feeling he's doing himself no favours.

You would think he knew in advance he is not going to play a full 90 minutes so can run around, closing down and chasing lost causes like a maniac and at least get the supporters on side, even if we are yet to see end product. But he doesn't! he plays like he is conserving energy for some later part of the game?? very odd to me.

he is completely out run by his much older playing partner.... not good on any level...

2 hours ago, Super said:

God I hope not. Start Fam.

And potentially wreck the kids confidence moments after he's finally started 2 consecutive games for us? Those two games being away to Preston and Brentford - two really tough away games? He may not be be Braut Haaland but I think you'd be mad to drop him for Reading. 

36 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And potentially wreck the kids confidence moments after he's finally started 2 consecutive games for us? Those two games being away to Preston and Brentford - two really tough away games? He may not be be Braut Haaland but I think you'd be mad to drop him for Reading. 

I agree.  Suspect LJ will swap it around though.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I agree.  Suspect LJ will swap it around though.

I'm just hoping that he sees the Brentford game in a similar way to many on here. We were strong in that first half. We were strong with the same set up in the Preston game. Reading will likely either match us up in 352 or use the 433 they used against Fulham. Either way I think the 352 that we've started the last two games with will be the best to deploy again.

But I suspect you're correct - he'll change it.

16 hours ago, Hare Island said:

Very harsh. Can’t say how well he played but to say he’s not good enough and should be sold is a bit ridiculous imo

Archived