IGNORED

Andi Weimann... Goals?!

mozo

Since he's been here Andreas Weimann has been our most productive player (combining goals and assists).

He now has 4 goals and 2 assists from 10 games, which is a great output. 

I know there's a feeling that his performances haven't been top notch of late, but could he bag 15+ goals this season?

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Since he's been here Andreas Weimann has been our most productive player (combining goals and assists).

I know there's a feeling that his performances haven't been top notch of late, but could he bag 15+ goals this season?

Bollox. He is among our best players if not our best player every game. The guy is class. How he is not getting in 23 for Austria is mind blowing! 

Had to put up with someone sat behind me at Brentford moaning about Weimann all through the game. 

Then he scored.

Didn't hear another word after.  Shame he couldn't have scored a bit earlier.

Intelligent player. Would benefit from another Afobe-type striker alongside.

Weimann’s effort every game is truly staggering. He just keeps running! And his goal scoring record for us is pretty good too, considering how he has been shunted out wide for previous clubs, and the goals have dried up. Unlucky not to make the Austria squad, considering Fam has been called up to his national team, but happy that he won’t be risking injury like Nagy.

8 minutes ago, WOTRED said:

Had to put up with someone sat behind me at Brentford moaning about Weimann all through the game. 

Then he scored.

Didn't hear another word after.  Shame he couldn't have scored a bit earlier.

Intelligent player. Would benefit from another Afobe-type striker alongside.

To be fair, he did score in the 87th minute

Just need him played upfront all season. Side note, you could see tonight there were times where Weimann was desperate for a partner who could press like him, such a shame we couldn't land Bobby over the summer as their ability to press together would be incredible. 

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Just need him played upfront all season. Side note, you could see tonight there were times where Weimann was desperate for a partner who could press like him, such a shame we couldn't land Bobby over the summer as their ability to press together would be incredible. 

Callum / Sammy???

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Callum / Sammy???

Perhaps out of possession you could have them move forward like we have done previously with Brownhill to press alongside Andi, however in possession Callum is then out of position (assuming he'd be out wide) and Sammie I haven't see enough of to say whether he's good enough for a team chasing promotion or play offs at least, hard to think he and Kasey would be in a team together. Did note Palmer pressing when the ball got played to their full backs (and only then) so he is capable but 90 minutes of intense pressing probably not. Could merely be a case of Antoine learning alongside Weimann when to go etc, remembering a lot of Antoine's league experience has been as a winger for Newport.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Perhaps out of possession you could have them move forward like we have done previously with Brownhill to press alongside Andi, however in possession Callum is then out of position (assuming he'd be out wide) and Sammie I haven't see enough of to say whether he's good enough for a team chasing promotion or play offs at least, hard to think he and Kasey would be in a team together. Did note Palmer pressing when the ball got played to their full backs (and only then) so he is capable but 90 minutes of intense pressing probably not. Could merely be a case of Antoine learning alongside Weimann when to go etc, remembering a lot of Antoine's league experience has been as a winger for Newport.

Nope, central.  

One of our most intelligent players. You can often see the frustration in him that the rest of the team can't spot or find him when he goes.

The work rate is never lacking, even on an off day (see his 40 yard sprint tracking back in the closing minutes against Swansea recently)

Such a shame that he and fam fail to link properly. Could palmer just behind weimann be the answer? They seem to have similar footballing brains & ability 

7 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

To be fair, he did score in the 87th minute

Yes, perhaps the complainer celebrated the equaliser by chewing on some toffee pennies by Quality Street meaning his mouth was occupied for the final few minutes. For all the poster knows the person could have finished his last toffee in the car park and gone straight back to moaning about Andi. 

The goal he scored against Derby where he was shut down by the keeper but managed to get the ball out of his feet and poke it into the goal was absolute quality. Don't think many players in the championship would have the composure and quick feet to pull it off

On 02/10/2019 at 23:04, mozo said:

Top player,,top bloke,,our best signing pound for pound in many a long year.. he's actually often a victim of his own making with officials - re: very clever movement..

We're Fecked if Andi's next on the long' term treatment table.........

Long may 'King Andi Reign.

11 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Actually think he's one of the biggest leaders in the team. So vocal & works very hard. 

If Brownhill is ever out, wouldn't argue against him being captain. (Not that it matters much)

He’s an organiser from the front too.  Pointing, gesturing etc, but also savvy stuff like making sure players take their time over throw-ins / free-kicks until everyone is set.

4 in 10 would be a good ratio throughout the season.

On 02/10/2019 at 23:04, mozo said:

IF he can keep up a 4 goals in 10 ratio, he would finish on 18 and that would be great and certainly well above my expectations. 

Crucial to this is him playing central, as he really is a poor option when asked to play wide.

34 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Actually think he's one of the biggest leaders in the team. So vocal & works very hard. 

If Brownhill is ever out, wouldn't argue against him being captain. (Not that it matters much)

He’s very versatile. Can play wide or as a striker - a ‘10’ if you prefer modern terminology.

LJ clearly appreciates what AW brings to the team. Now that Paterson has moved on Weimann is his number 1 outfield player.

52 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He’s very versatile. Can play wide or as a striker - a ‘10’ if you prefer modern terminology.

LJ clearly appreciates what AW brings to the team. Now that Paterson has moved on Weimann is his number 1 outfield player.

I don’t think he’s a 10.  He naturally wants to play on the shoulder not in the hole.  The times he drops into the hole are often to create space for others rather than receive.

I do think when we get Kalas and Nagy back we will be able to go back to a shape that will benefit Andi a bit more on top on his own. Surely LJ has seen how well Palmer threads balls through to him?

Something like this:

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Williams/Moore/Baker Rowe

Brownhill Nagy

Eliasson Palmer O'Dowda

Weimann 

Eliasson and O'Dowda tuck in to make it a 4-4-1-1 out of possession. 

That for me is a very hard working and industrious team that also has the required quality to produce one or two moments a match to win it. 

Weimann is our best player in terms of technical ability and tactical knowledge.

Strong case for him being our most important also for his workrate alone.

We have coped well (very well?) with the injury crisis so far, if Weimann couldn't play I bet our results would fall off a cliff.

13 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I do think when we get Kalas and Nagy back we will be able to go back to a shape that will benefit Andi a bit more on top on his own. Surely LJ has seen how well Palmer threads balls through to him?

Something like this:

Bentley

Brownhill Nagy

Eliasson Palmer O'Dowda

Weimann 

That for me is a very hard working and industrious team that also has the required quality to produce one or two moments a match to win it. 

It says online that Andi is 6ft 2 - surely not that tall?! Same height as Fam?

Also, stats sites suggest Brentford was his 50th start for City (plus 6 sub appearances). Let's hope he eventually joins the city hundred club. Brownhill into the 120s now.

At the back end of last season there was a article to the Football League paper about Andi Weimann saying how versatile he is with his pace and skill on the ball making hard to leave out of the side! It also said that because of this some of his past managers were unsure how to fit him in. 

However look at his stats since joining City he has scored more goals than anytime in his career, getting into double figures and scoring I believe his first ever hat trick. 

LJ for some reason seems to be getting the best out of him. May this continue. Andi is a great team player always puts in a shift would make my starting line up every time 100%. 

Think he will make double figures again this year alongside Afobe would have been an amazing mouth watering forward line!!!

3 hours ago, Red Ferret said:

His energy levels are utterly mental. I feel exhausted just watching him. He goes full pelt constantly 

Mother and Father’s genes:

Mrs Weimann, under her maiden name Sabina Seitle, held the Austrian women’s 100m hurdling record for more than a decade and Andreas reckons he has inherited his sporting prowess from his parents.

“My mom and dad used to be athletes,” he said. “They were good athletes. My mom held the Austrian record for 14 years I think for hurdles. She was quite good.

“They met through athletics. My dad did the same but he wasn’t quite as good as her. I did athletics when I was younger, about five or six, but I didn’t really enjoy it. I liked football more.

3 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Something like this:

Bentley

Brownhill Nagy

Eliasson Palmer O'Dowda

Weimann 

Would be worth seeing.  My pet hate of the 4231 though, is the two widemen taking up advanced positions too early in the build up of play and restricting ability to pass through the lines.

Archived