IGNORED

Ashley Williams recalled by Wales

Major Isewater

Yes, good news.  Testament to his professionalism that despite missing a pre-season with a club, he was back play so soon.

Very interested in the interview he did about going vegan and how it's helped his overall fitness.   An item on football focus featuring Chris Smalling turning vegan too.

6 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

Yes, good news.  Testament to his professionalism that despite missing a pre-season with a club, he was back play so soon.

Very interested in the interview he did about going vegan and how it's helped his overall fitness.   An item on football focus featuring Chris Smalling turning vegan too.

Chris Smalling may turn out to be a top vegan.

12 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

A class act, not the quickest now, but his brain and experience easily makes up for that. Always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

In his 4 appearances so far, I’ve seen better displays than any level I’ve seen from Bailey Wright (from memory).  Wright has 6 months left on contract in January.  I would be extending Williams, and looking to get a small fee for Wright, whilst focussing recruitment next summer.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In his 4 appearances so far, I’ve seen better displays than any level I’ve seen from Bailey Wright (from memory).  Wright has 6 months left on contract in January.  I would be extending Williams, and looking to get a small fee for Wright, whilst focussing recruitment next summer.

Bailey Wright was in the team that was second at chritmas during the 17-18 season. His form along with the rest of the team dipped after that of course... but bailey has never recovered.

Bailey is a very good guy and was the one player  my 12 year old remembered as being really kind to him when he was a mascot. He is a great club guy and worth having around in some capacity in the future. There is little doubt he would run through a brick wall for his teammates and the club, but and its a big BUT, he simply is not a top end Championship defender in my eyes and if he is ever more then back up, we are not going to get far as an ambitious club.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Bailey Wright was in the team that was second at chritmas during the 17-18 season. His form along with the rest of the team dipped after that of course... but bailey has never recovered.

He was, at RB, and did a good job.  He played through injury too, sacrificing a World Cup place.  I don’t doubt his professionalism and steadiness, just think I’ve seen more quality in 4 games from Williams at CB than I’ve seen Wright.  That’s not saying Wright was poor...he wasn’t....just that even at 35 I think Williams is an upgrade.

Wright out if contract next summer too, the club having exercised the option.

Great guy to have around, but he would need to be at the top of his game to threaten a place in our current defence....imho.

My hope is that LJ and the coaching staff have instructed Taylor Moore to "shadow him" and do everything that he can to squeeze every last ounce of knowledge about being a top centre back from Williams while he is here. Williams best years are for sure behind him, but he has played at a very high level and if Moore can learn from him it could be key for his development.

Not sure if Williams has started coaching badges (or even plans that as a future career) but we could do far worse than keep him for the rest of the season and look at him for player/coach contract next season. 

2 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Vinny Kompany keen on signing him for Anderlecht in Jan apparently according to the Post. Apparently Bellamy is on their coaching staff too, and obviously knows Williams well through Wales set up. 

Need to lock him down until May!

Yeah but Vinny could be sacked before January if he carries on like he is !

4 hours ago, brady bunch said:

Bailey is a very good guy and was the one player  my 12 year old remembered as being really kind to him when he was a mascot. He is a great club guy and worth having around in some capacity in the future. There is little doubt he would run through a brick wall for his teammates and the club, but and its a big BUT, he simply is not a top end Championship defender in my eyes and if he is ever more then back up, we are not going to get far as an ambitious club.

Sounds like he would make a really good SLO, maybe as he isn't playing he can combine the two roles ?

Archived