IGNORED

I think we should be really pleased with out start of season

Lez

After Leeds if you would have said we would go 9 unbeaten including wway games to Preston and Brentford as well as Swansea at home we would have been very pleased. Throw in the injuries too and I think this has been an excellent start to the season.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that it is key to go on a run Jan Feb March time, look at Villa last year and other teams before that.....being top or 2nd now means nothing so aslong as we are in touch with the top sides then we can take advantage of this in the new year.

Players to come back, no doubt a couple of signings to come in Jan....gives is a great chance to push on when it really matters.

What was important was a solid start to the season to stay in touch with confidence high, we have done that if not better....with our injuries etc I think we should be very pleased with our start and the points obtained. 

I do appreciate that we need a striker to really push but everyone knows that so no doubt that will be sorted when time is right. 

Excluding Leeds first game of the season (they always start well & burn out) nobody has beat us. 

We're missing the spine of our team yet still can't get beat. We won't get Afobe back this season but when we have Kalas & Nagy back, one less goal conceded turns every potential draw in to a win.

Agreed. When you consider we gave Leeds 3 points, had players more or less introducing themselves to each other at Birmingham, Massengo being thrown in earlier than LJ would have ideally liked, Dasilva, Kalas, Nagy and Afobe crocked then 17 points from the last 9 is a fantastic return. If we can find a decent out of contract forward in the next couple of weeks as Johnson has alluded to then we seem to be in a more than decent position to kick on as the injuries ease.

It’s solid and nine games unbeaten speaks volumes. Yet we’re not really exciting and rarely come away having convincingly outplayed the opposition - only four actual wins out of ten and only one at home. It’s all rather like last season.

This sort of level means we won’t struggle, but how I’d like to see a team that really clicks occasionally!

12 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It’s solid and nine games unbeaten speaks volumes. Yet we’re not really exciting and rarely come away having convincingly outplayed the opposition - only four actual wins out of ten and only one at home. It’s all rather like last season.

This sort of level means we won’t struggle, but how I’d like to see a team that really clicks occasionally!

Be fair , how many times does a Championship team ‘ convincingly outplay ‘ another ?

There are sometimes fluke results but attacker’s are more accurate, midfielders more cunning and defenders are faster and smarter than your average lower league players.

This division is so tight that even the whipping boys can get results against the top teams.

At this level and above the margins for success and failure are wafer thin . There is not the great divide like in the lower divisions.

58 minutes ago, Lez said:

After Leeds if you would have said we would go 9 unbeaten including wway games to Preston and Brentford as well as Swansea at home we would have been very pleased. Throw in the injuries too and I think this has been an excellent start to the season.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that it is key to go on a run Jan Feb March time, look at Villa last year and other teams before that.....being top or 2nd now means nothing so aslong as we are in touch with the top sides then we can take advantage of this in the new year.

Players to come back, no doubt a couple of signings to come in Jan....gives is a great chance to push on when it really matters.

What was important was a solid start to the season to stay in touch with confidence high, we have done that if not better....with our injuries etc I think we should be very pleased with our start and the points obtained. 

I do appreciate that we need a striker to really push but everyone knows that so no doubt that will be sorted when time is right. 

Great point about the timing of hitting form.

Aston Villa last season. Fairly average all season, then in March and April they won 10 in a row! 

40 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Saturday ???

25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Be fair , how many times does a Championship team ‘ convincingly outplay ‘ another ?

There are sometimes fluke results but attacker’s are more accurate, midfielders more cunning and defenders are faster and smarter than your average lower league players.

This division is so tight that even the whipping boys can get results against the top teams.

At this level and above the margins for success and failure are wafer thin . There is not the great divide like in the lower divisions.

Your point is perfectly valid.

However, as an example I give you Fulham 4 Millwall 0. Winning by four goals with more than 80% possession. Must be one of the most one sided games in Championship history.

Agree our position is great under the circumstances.

In addition, I am very pleasantly surprised by the performances of Williams, Rowe and Hunt when we really need them.

My naturally pessimistic nature, (have watched City for decades.) was concerned that the new guys would be weak links, for dire emergency use only.

That pessimistic **** knows nothing.

Hey. Started an argument with myself. How OITB.

Our start just proves the need for strength in depth with the squad and we have that now.  Plenty of talent to come back in off the treatment table but lets be aware that anyone can get injured at any time. Our injury worries may not end with the return of Kalas and Nagy but lets hope we have enough depth to push on with the addition of a good striker soon. I still don't think LJ knows his best eleven yet even with everyone fit.

Archived