IGNORED

Brentford - Ground, Pubs, Stewards and Fans

Nogbad the Bad

All top notch again last night in my experience.

Chatty, friendly bar staff and Brentford fans in the pub.

Smiley, friendly, helpful stewards outside and inside Griffin Park - the all to often miserable looking stewards who survey us grimly and suspiciously at AG could learn a thing or two.

Griffin Park - what a great ground, an absolute pleasure to visit so often over the decades, a traditional away day experience second to none imo. that will be hugely missed.

Good luck to Brentford FC in their new ground - looking forward to visiting when the time comes and hopefully they can retain that friendly and welcoming feel as well as at least some of the traditional atmosphere of Griffin Park. Also hoping it is close enough to use the same fantastic pubs and that none of these historic alehouses are in any way threatened by the move.

P.S. The lights being switched off in the stands last night when the game was on made a hugely positive difference to the atmosphere - powers that be at AG take note. The policy of leaving them on has completely destroyed the 'special atmosphere of AG under the lights' the club constantly goes on about as far as I'm concerned.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Smiley, friendly, helpful stewards outside and inside Griffin Park - the all to often miserable looking stewards who survey us grimly and suspiciously at AG could learn a thing or two.

Griffin Park - what a great ground, an absolute pleasure to visit so often over the decades, a traditional away day experience second to none imo. that will be hugely missed.

Good luck to Brentford FC in their new ground - looking forward to visiting when the time comes and hopefully they can retain that friendly and welcoming feel as well as at least some of the traditional atmosphere of Griffin Park. Also hoping it is close enough to use the same fantastic pubs and that none of these historic alehouses are in any way threatened by the move.

P.S. The lights being switched off in the stands last night when the game was on made a hugely positive difference to the atmosphere - powers that be at AG take note. The policy of leaving them on has completely destroyed the 'special atmosphere of AG under the lights' the club constantly goes on about as far as I'm concerned.

Hear, hear. Special ground, probably my most visited after AG. I'm sure Lionel Road will be an excellent modern replacement.

On the pubs - its less than a mile from Griffin Park to the new stadium so hopefully most of them will survive.

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

@myol'man and @The Horse With No Name both seem to know about this subject, stewarding.

Their take would be interesting.

Nogbad, you might want to have a look online at the Club Charter that lists the regs (basically national regs)- ours could be a lot worse and more anal about things, but that said Brentford seems one of the better clubs and the nicer away days for sure.

Fully agree on the lights- interested in that too, why the inconsistency. :dunno:

Griffin Park sounds and looks a great ground though!

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@myol'man and @The Horse With No Name both seem to know about this subject, stewarding.

Their take would be interesting.

Nogbad, you might want to have a look online at the Club Charter that lists the regs- ours could be a lot worse and more anal about things, but that said Brentford seems one of the better clubs and the nicer away days for sure.

Fully agree on the lights- interested in that too, why the inconsistency. :dunno:

Ha, since myself and the horse left they are only left with the miserable ones! 

No, seriously, they do try to encourage a welcoming atmosphere at AG. They regularly win awards for it :hug:

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Was quite emotional walking around the outside of Griffin Park last night, seeing all the fabric of the stadium, the old turnstiles, corrugated roofs, and the floodlights etc. I had a great view in the top tier, it's a fantastic stadium, full of character. I also found all the stewards helpful and friendly. I'll miss Griffin Park, even though I think that was only my third visit.  

Looking forward to visiting their new ground at some point

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Hear, hear. Special ground, probably my most visited after AG. I'm sure Lionel Road will be an excellent modern replacement.

On the pubs - its less than a mile from Griffin Park to the new stadium so hopefully most of them will survive.

Really hope they all survive, as I say historic pubs. Really interesting that the ground was named after the griffin which features on the logo of Fuller's brewery who previously owned the orchard where Griffin Park was built.

Must be my most visited away ground too, going back almost 40 years, and have watched City there from both ends and 1 side of the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Really hope they all survive, as I say historic pubs. Really interesting that the ground was named after the griffin which features on the logo of Fuller's brewery who previously owned the orchard where Griffin Park was built.

Must be my most visited away ground too, going back almost 40 years, and have watched City there from both ends and 1 side of the pitch.

Yeh. Although the Royal Oak (or whatever it's now called) was struggling even whilst Griffin Park was open. It closed for a few years then reopened I think last season.

I've also sat in the home end on occasions - right down the front on one occasion. From that seat I'd have been able to 'help' Canos get back over the hoardings last night.

Absolutely agree with this thread. One of my favourite away days. The stewards show that it is possible for them to do their job whilst being friendly and welcoming and their fans show you can be enthusiastic, knowledgeable and passionate without being needless arseholes towards opposing fans. 

I am going to miss Griffin Park but am looking forward to the new ground. It sounds like they're trying to make it nice and compact and keep some of what is special about Griffin Park so hopefully it'll still be a unique experience and have a bit of character. 

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh. Although the Royal Oak (or whatever it's now called) was struggling even whilst Griffin Park was open. It closed for a few years then reopened I think last season.

I've also sat in the home end on occasions - right down the front on one occasion. From that seat I'd have been able to 'help' Canos get back over the hoardings last night.

Never been in the home sections.

On my first ever visit the City fans were situated on the terrace to the left of where we were last night towards what was the open end, and of course we've been allocated each end at various times since.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Never been in the home sections.

On my first ever visit the City fans were situated on the terrace to the left of where we were last night towards what was the open end, and of course we've been allocated each end at various times since.

Ah fair enough. Yeh I've sat in the home end a few times to watch City when we've sold out the away end. When I lived in London I'd sometimes go just to watch some football if City aren't playing on a day. Seen Brentford v Sheff Wed plus a few others.

Well said Noggers. Despite our ropey form against them it's always fun to visit the Bees and I'm also sad that it'll be the last time I visit Griffin Park.

I went to Kew Bridge station, had a few jars in the cavernous One Over the Ait pub before strolling down the Thames into Brentford. 

It's not really a great ground is it? It's a terrible ground with woeful facilities. It's now unique in that it is one of a dying breed. 

I don't understand why people hark on about the bygone days of football grounds, I remember once visiting Griffin park on the open end and they litterly had a urinal that was a wall that you pissed against. Didn't visit again after that. 

12 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It's not really a great ground is it? It's a terrible ground with woeful facilities. It's now unique in that it is one of a dying breed. 

I don't understand why people hark on about the bygone days of football grounds, I remember once visiting Griffin park on the open end and they litterly had a urinal that was a wall that you pissed against. Didn't visit again after that. 

The East End toilets used to be very similar.

I visited it loads of times and loved every minute of it.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Was quite emotional walking around the outside of Griffin Park last night, seeing all the fabric of the stadium, the old turnstiles, corrugated roofs, and the floodlights etc. I had a great view in the top tier, it's a fantastic stadium, full of character. I also found all the stewards helpful and friendly. I'll miss Griffin Park, even though I think that was only my third visit.  

Looking forward to visiting their new ground at some point

maybe in the cup next season as we won't be facing them in the league :fingerscrossed:

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

The two tier end, when used for away fans, is/was the best away end in football. Always a great atmosphere in there.

Much as I like the new AG, facilities aren't always everything.

Brentford fans weren’t so friendly outside The Griffin. Few of them got pissed off with our fans singing and being a nuisance and started shouting at a lad who was no older than about 14/15, lots of City got involved and they soon backed down and scurried when they realised they were massively outnumbered. 

Decent day out, Brentford fans are a friendly bunch and the whole set up around the club is warm and welcoming. 

Love the terrace but the view can be hideous if you aren’t there with decent time before kick off, couldn’t see our goal we were defending in the first half and so I moved only to find I couldn’t see the goal we were defending in the second half...

Going to miss it though, hopefully the new ground isn’t too sterile and keeps ngl that make griffin park so good

When i got to the Griffin there was a young City fan, who might have started on the Source a bit early, asleep on the benches outside. The landlady came out, woke him up, and told him he couldn't sleep there, however she gave him a pint of water and a sandwich, and told him to sit up and finish the water and food, that he could stay providing he stayed awake. 

Can you tell me of another pub that would be so kind to a young away football fan who needed a bit of help?

GReat pub, lovely ground and nice people, sorry to see the ground grow, but very happy to pop in to The Griffin if i'm ever that way again

• Admin

I was chatting with the owner of The Brook pub, his worst case scenario guestimate is that their takings would be down £1k per week 

But are hopeful that people will still use the pub and that the new ground would be less than 10 minutes walk away. 

1 hour ago, TuxHarry said:

Brentford fans weren’t so friendly outside The Griffin. Few of them got pissed off with our fans singing and being a nuisance and started shouting at a lad who was no older than about 14/15, lots of City got involved and they soon backed down and scurried when they realised they were massively outnumbered. 

Had exactly the same 2 years ago on our way home. Again their attention was aimed at teens with parents. Same outcome though, this time they tried to run back through the main gates, back into the ground ?

You get idiots everywhere.

Shame this ground is going, must have been there double firgures easy.

2 games stick in my mind, tommy doc scoring a belter and a game mid 80s on a sunday i think which was rare for us.

Steve neville hadnt scored since we signed him, and he got a double that day.

Think mickey droy was playing for them then.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Shame this ground is going, must have been there double firgures easy.

2 games stick in my mind, tommy doc scoring a belter and a game mid 80s on a sunday i think which was rare for us.

Steve neville hadnt scored since we signed him, and he got a double that day.

Think mickey droy was playing for them then.

If it was 84/85 season lou I think we won 2 1....that was definitely a saturday

Archived