IGNORED

Brentford - Ground, Pubs, Stewards and Fans

Nogbad the Bad

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im sure i went there for a sunday game and neville scored 2?

I might be mixing it up.

On the subject of the east end toilets i thought they were 5 star, for football terraces.

I even saw people eating hot dogs in there.

The smell of those onions hit you as soon as you got in.

I definitely recall a Sunday game there. Sure it was a 2-1 win. Think it was an early kickoff 

We were at the opposite end to where the away fans are situated now.

Talking of their fans. My daughter has become good friends with one of them via social media. He even came to Birmingham and QPR with us. He was mega salty after our possibly undeserved late equaliser. Still not really over it!

Great ground and great fans. Chatted to loads of them with no problem at all on previous visits.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Red7 said:

Best away day bar none for me. Top notch all round.
Including the policing, too.

It does make you wonder that all these new stadia etc are supposed to enhance the matchday experience and make it safer, yet an old school ground like this has a completely different vibe 

35 minutes ago, phantom said:

It does make you wonder that all these new stadia etc are supposed to enhance the matchday experience and make it safer, yet an old school ground like this has a completely different vibe 

I think Brentford is a one-off. Certainly among all the grounds I've been to.
A combination of factors, no doubt - including geographic area, home fans, small club in a big city with lots of other clubs 'nearby', club with no sense of 'entitlement'...

On 03/10/2019 at 18:54, phantom said:

I was chatting with the owner of The Brook pub, his worst case scenario guestimate is that their takings would be down £1k per week 

But are hopeful that people will still use the pub and that the new ground would be less than 10 minutes walk away. 

We were in The Brook as well, great pub and very pleasant pre match in the garden.

Had a look on google and there don't seem to be many pubs near the new ground, so I expect the landlord will be OK - it'll be the same routine for many home and away fans, just with a longer walk - about 3/4 mile - afterwards.

No doubt Lionel Road will have bigger, indoor, concourses selling alcohol but not the same at all afaic, it'll still be the pub for me.

Was well worth getting there early - got served straight away at 5.45, but we could hardly get through the bar area when we left for the game at 7.20, it was so packed with City fans trying to get served.

Pretty sure City fans will do their bit to keep these pubs going when we play there. :yes:

On 03/10/2019 at 16:12, Up The City! said:

It's not really a great ground is it? It's a terrible ground with woeful facilities. It's now unique in that it is one of a dying breed. 

I don't understand why people hark on about the bygone days of football grounds, I remember once visiting Griffin park on the open end and they litterly had a urinal that was a wall that you pissed against. Didn't visit again after that. 

You used to tell people on here you were female? ?

On 03/10/2019 at 16:12, Up The City! said:

I remember once visiting Griffin park on the open end and they litterly had a urinal that was a wall that you pissed against. Didn't visit again after that. 

25 minutes ago, Henry said:

You used to tell people on here you were female? ?

I was thinking the same, but thought better not to ask.

Hardly conjures up a great image does it? :blink:

34 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was thinking the same, but thought better not to ask.

Hardly conjures up a great image does it? :blink:

Quite odd and probably confirms what most people through about that story

26 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

And that stops me from commenting on the state of urinals how?

How would you know and why would you care?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We were in The Brook as well, great pub and very pleasant pre match in the garden.

Had a look on google and there don't seem to be many pubs near the new ground, so I expect the landlord will be OK - it'll be the same routine for many home and away fans, just with a longer walk - about 3/4 mile - afterwards.

No doubt Lionel Road will have bigger, indoor, concourses selling alcohol but not the same at all afaic, it'll still be the pub for me.

Was well worth getting there early - got served straight away at 5.45, but we could hardly get through the bar area when we left for the game at 7.20, it was so packed with City fans trying to get served.

Pretty sure City fans will do their bit to keep these pubs going when we play there. :yes:

Reckon I must have spoken to you. I was wondering around chatting to most City fans 

Fond memories of the place - being in the bottom tier when Barnard scored in that PO semi - absolute limbs everywhere. The following season when we stuffed them 4-1. The Boxing Day? Fixture when Lita came off the bench and scored two. Think it was same game some bloke was watching in his garden (when the away end swapped for a few seasons) got all sorts of friendly abuse.  Will miss the place for sure. 

On 04/10/2019 at 11:34, phantom said:

I think new stadia are, on the whole, a bit shit. F*****g concourses, FFS!

Archived