Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Nogbad the Bad

Brentford - Ground, Pubs, Stewards and Fans

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

All top notch again last night in my experience.

Chatty, friendly bar staff and Brentford fans in the pub.

Smiley, friendly, helpful stewards outside and inside Griffin Park - the all to often miserable looking stewards who survey us grimly and suspiciously at AG could learn a thing or two.

Griffin Park - what a great ground, an absolute pleasure to visit so often over the decades, a traditional away day experience second to none imo. that will be hugely missed.

Good luck to Brentford FC in their new ground - looking forward to visiting when the time comes and hopefully they can retain that friendly and welcoming feel as well as at least some of the traditional atmosphere of Griffin Park. Also hoping it is close enough to use the same fantastic pubs and that none of these historic alehouses are in any way threatened by the move.

 P.S. The lights being switched off in the stands last night when the game was on made a hugely positive difference to the atmosphere - powers that be at AG take note. The policy of leaving them on has completely destroyed the 'special atmosphere of AG under the lights' the club constantly goes on about as far as I'm concerned.

 

Hear, hear. Special ground, probably my most visited after AG. I'm sure Lionel Road will be an excellent modern replacement.

On the pubs - its less than a mile from Griffin Park to the new stadium so hopefully most of them will survive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Smiley, friendly, helpful stewards outside and inside Griffin Park - the all to often miserable looking stewards who survey us grimly and suspiciously at AG could learn a thing or two.

@myol'man and @The Horse With No Name both seem to know about this subject, stewarding.

Their take would be interesting.

Nogbad, you might want to have a look online at the Club Charter that lists the regs (basically national regs)- ours could be a lot worse and more anal about things, but that said Brentford seems one of the better clubs and the nicer away days for sure.

Fully agree on the lights- interested in that too, why the inconsistency. :dunno:

Griffin Park sounds and looks a great ground though!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@myol'man and @The Horse With No Name both seem to know about this subject, stewarding.

Their take would be interesting.

Nogbad, you might want to have a look online at the Club Charter that lists the regs- ours could be a lot worse and more anal about things, but that said Brentford seems one of the better clubs and the nicer away days for sure.

Fully agree on the lights- interested in that too, why the inconsistency. :dunno:

Ha, since myself and the horse left they are only left with the miserable ones! 

No, seriously, they do try to encourage a welcoming atmosphere at AG. They regularly win awards for it :hug:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

All top notch again last night in my experience.

Chatty, friendly bar staff and Brentford fans in the pub.

Smiley, friendly, helpful stewards outside and inside Griffin Park - the all to often miserable looking stewards who survey us grimly and suspiciously at AG could learn a thing or two.

Griffin Park - what a great ground, an absolute pleasure to visit so often over the decades, a traditional away day experience second to none imo. that will be hugely missed.

Good luck to Brentford FC in their new ground - looking forward to visiting when the time comes and hopefully they can retain that friendly and welcoming feel as well as at least some of the traditional atmosphere of Griffin Park. Also hoping it is close enough to use the same fantastic pubs and that none of these historic alehouses are in any way threatened by the move.

 P.S. The lights being switched off in the stands last night when the game was on made a hugely positive difference to the atmosphere - powers that be at AG take note. The policy of leaving them on has completely destroyed the 'special atmosphere of AG under the lights' the club constantly goes on about as far as I'm concerned.

 

Was quite emotional walking around the outside of Griffin Park last night, seeing all the fabric of the stadium, the old turnstiles, corrugated roofs, and the floodlights etc. I had a great view in the top tier, it's a fantastic stadium, full of character. I also found all the stewards helpful and friendly. I'll miss Griffin Park, even though I think that was only my third visit.  

Looking forward to visiting their new ground at some point

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I left the ground a steward wished me a safe journey home, I cannot remember that ever being said to me before.

Been there loads of times & lots of good memories, only go to 3 or 4 away games a season now but was not going to miss last night. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Hear, hear. Special ground, probably my most visited after AG. I'm sure Lionel Road will be an excellent modern replacement.

On the pubs - its less than a mile from Griffin Park to the new stadium so hopefully most of them will survive.

Really hope they all survive, as I say historic pubs. Really interesting that the ground was named after the griffin which features on the logo of Fuller's brewery who previously owned the orchard where Griffin Park was built.

Must be my most visited away ground too, going back almost 40 years, and have watched City there from both ends and 1 side of the pitch.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Really hope they all survive, as I say historic pubs. Really interesting that the ground was named after the griffin which features on the logo of Fuller's brewery who previously owned the orchard where Griffin Park was built.

Must be my most visited away ground too, going back almost 40 years, and have watched City there from both ends and 1 side of the pitch.

 

Yeh. Although the Royal Oak (or whatever it's now called) was struggling even whilst Griffin Park was open. It closed for a few years then reopened I think last season.

I've also sat in the home end on occasions - right down the front on one occasion. From that seat I'd have been able to 'help' Canos get back over the hoardings last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely agree with this thread. One of my favourite away days. The stewards show that it is possible for them to do their job whilst being friendly and welcoming and their fans show you can be enthusiastic, knowledgeable and passionate without being needless arseholes towards opposing fans. 

I am going to miss Griffin Park but am looking forward to the new ground. It sounds like they're trying to make it nice and compact and keep some of what is special about Griffin Park so hopefully it'll still be a unique experience and have a bit of character. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh. Although the Royal Oak (or whatever it's now called) was struggling even whilst Griffin Park was open. It closed for a few years then reopened I think last season.

I've also sat in the home end on occasions - right down the front on one occasion. From that seat I'd have been able to 'help' Canos get back over the hoardings last night.

Never been in the home sections.

On my first ever visit the City fans were situated on the terrace to the left of where we were last night towards what was the open end, and of course we've been allocated each end at various times since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Never been in the home sections.

On my first ever visit the City fans were situated on the terrace to the left of where we were last night towards what was the open end, and of course we've been allocated each end at various times since.

Ah fair enough. Yeh I've sat in the home end a few times to watch City when we've sold out the away end. When I lived in London I'd sometimes go just to watch some football if City aren't playing on a day. Seen Brentford v Sheff Wed plus a few others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said Noggers. Despite our ropey form against them it's always fun to visit the Bees and I'm also sad that it'll be the last time I visit Griffin Park.

I went to Kew Bridge station, had a few jars in the cavernous One Over the Ait pub before strolling down the Thames into Brentford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not really a great ground is it? It's a terrible ground with woeful facilities. It's now unique in that it is one of a dying breed. 

I don't understand why people hark on about the bygone days of football grounds, I remember once visiting Griffin park on the open end and they litterly had a urinal that was a wall that you pissed against. Didn't visit again after that. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Rovers 1
  • Snake 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It's not really a great ground is it? It's a terrible ground with woeful facilities. It's now unique in that it is one of a dying breed. 

I don't understand why people hark on about the bygone days of football grounds, I remember once visiting Griffin park on the open end and they litterly had a urinal that was a wall that you pissed against. Didn't visit again after that. 

The East End toilets used to be very similar.

I visited it loads of times and loved every minute of it.

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Was quite emotional walking around the outside of Griffin Park last night, seeing all the fabric of the stadium, the old turnstiles, corrugated roofs, and the floodlights etc. I had a great view in the top tier, it's a fantastic stadium, full of character. I also found all the stewards helpful and friendly. I'll miss Griffin Park, even though I think that was only my third visit.  

Looking forward to visiting their new ground at some point

maybe in the cup next season as we won't be facing them in the league :fingerscrossed:

  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

It's not really a great ground is it? It's a terrible ground with woeful facilities. It's now unique in that it is one of a dying breed. 

I don't understand why people hark on about the bygone days of football grounds, I remember once visiting Griffin park on the open end and they litterly had a urinal that was a wall that you pissed against. Didn't visit again after that. 

The two tier end, when used for away fans, is/was the best away end in football. Always a great atmosphere in there.

Much as I like the new AG, facilities aren't always everything.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brentford fans weren’t so friendly outside The Griffin. Few of them got pissed off with our fans singing and being a nuisance and started shouting at a lad who was no older than about 14/15, lots of City got involved and they soon backed down and scurried when they realised they were massively outnumbered. 

Edited by TuxHarry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent day out, Brentford fans are a friendly bunch and the whole set up around the club is warm and welcoming. 

Love the terrace but the view can be hideous if you aren’t there with decent time before kick off, couldn’t see our goal we were defending in the first half and so I moved only to find I couldn’t see the goal we were defending in the second half...

Going to miss it though, hopefully the new ground isn’t too sterile and keeps ngl that make griffin park so good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When i got to the Griffin there was a young City fan, who might have started on the Source a bit early, asleep on the benches outside. The landlady came out, woke him up, and told him he couldn't sleep there, however she gave him a pint of water and a sandwich, and told him to sit up and finish the water and food, that he could stay providing he stayed awake. 

Can you tell me of another pub that would be so kind to a young away football fan who needed a bit of help?

 

GReat pub, lovely ground and nice people, sorry to see the ground grow, but very happy to pop in to The Griffin if i'm ever that way again

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was chatting with the owner of The Brook pub, his worst case scenario guestimate is that their takings would be down £1k per week 

But are hopeful that people will still use the pub and that the new ground would be less than 10 minutes walk away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TuxHarry said:

Brentford fans weren’t so friendly outside The Griffin. Few of them got pissed off with our fans singing and being a nuisance and started shouting at a lad who was no older than about 14/15, lots of City got involved and they soon backed down and scurried when they realised they were massively outnumbered. 

Had exactly the same 2 years ago on our way home. Again their attention was aimed at teens with parents. Same outcome though, this time they tried to run back through the main gates, back into the ground 😂

You get idiots everywhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

The two tier end, when used for away fans, is/was the best away end in football. Always a great atmosphere in there.

Much as I like the new AG, facilities aren't always everything.

I'm pretty sure it's not the best away end in football.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame this ground is going, must have been there double firgures easy.

2 games stick in my mind, tommy doc scoring a belter and a game mid 80s on a sunday i think which was rare for us.

Steve neville hadnt scored since we signed him, and he got a double that day.

Think mickey droy was playing for them then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Shame this ground is going, must have been there double firgures easy.

2 games stick in my mind, tommy doc scoring a belter and a game mid 80s on a sunday i think which was rare for us.

Steve neville hadnt scored since we signed him, and he got a double that day.

Think mickey droy was playing for them then.

If it was 84/85 season lou I think we won 2 1....that was definitely a saturday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sure i went there for a sunday game and neville scored 2?

I might be mixing it up.

On the subject of the east end toilets i thought they were 5 star, for football terraces.

I even saw people eating hot dogs in there.

The smell of those onions hit you as soon as you got in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im sure i went there for a sunday game and neville scored 2?

I might be mixing it up.

On the subject of the east end toilets i thought they were 5 star, for football terraces.

I even saw people eating hot dogs in there.

The smell of those onions hit you as soon as you got in.

I definitely recall a Sunday game there. Sure it was a 2-1 win. Think it was an early kickoff 

We were at the opposite end to where the away fans are situated now.

Talking of their fans. My daughter has become good friends with one of them via social media. He even came to Birmingham and QPR with us. He was mega salty after our possibly undeserved late equaliser. Still not really over it!

Great ground and great fans. Chatted to loads of them with no problem at all on previous visits.

Edited by MrBibs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red7 said:

Best away day bar none for me. Top notch all round.
Including the policing, too.

It does make you wonder that all these new stadia etc are supposed to enhance the matchday experience and make it safer, yet an old school ground like this has a completely different vibe 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only been to Brentford once, wish I had been more often as was a great day.

Seems it is a fan favourite, will be sad to see them move.

Let's hope the new stadium captures some of the feeling of Griffin Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, phantom said:

It does make you wonder that all these new stadia etc are supposed to enhance the matchday experience and make it safer, yet an old school ground like this has a completely different vibe 

I think Brentford is a one-off. Certainly among all the grounds I've been to.
A combination of factors, no doubt - including geographic area, home fans, small club in a big city with lots of other clubs 'nearby', club with no sense of 'entitlement'...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2019 at 18:54, phantom said:

I was chatting with the owner of The Brook pub, his worst case scenario guestimate is that their takings would be down £1k per week 

But are hopeful that people will still use the pub and that the new ground would be less than 10 minutes walk away. 

We were in The Brook as well, great pub and very pleasant pre match in the garden.

Had a look on google and there don't seem to be many pubs near the new ground, so I expect the landlord will be OK - it'll be the same routine for many home and away fans, just with a longer walk - about 3/4 mile - afterwards.

No doubt Lionel Road will have bigger, indoor, concourses selling alcohol but not the same at all afaic, it'll still be the pub for me.

Was well worth getting there early - got served straight away at 5.45, but we could hardly get through the bar area when we left for the game at 7.20, it was so packed with City fans trying to get served.

Pretty sure City fans will do their bit to keep these pubs going when we play there. :yes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2019 at 16:12, Up The City! said:

It's not really a great ground is it? It's a terrible ground with woeful facilities. It's now unique in that it is one of a dying breed. 

I don't understand why people hark on about the bygone days of football grounds, I remember once visiting Griffin park on the open end and they litterly had a urinal that was a wall that you pissed against. Didn't visit again after that. 

You used to tell people on here you were female? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2019 at 16:12, Up The City! said:

I remember once visiting Griffin park on the open end and they litterly had a urinal that was a wall that you pissed against. Didn't visit again after that. 

 

25 minutes ago, Henry said:

You used to tell people on here you were female? 🤔

I was thinking the same, but thought better not to ask.

Hardly conjures up a great image does it? :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

 

I was thinking the same, but thought better not to ask.

Hardly conjures up a great image does it? :blink:

Quite odd and probably confirms what most people through about that story

26 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

And that stops me from commenting on the state of urinals how?

How would you know and why would you care?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We were in The Brook as well, great pub and very pleasant pre match in the garden.

Had a look on google and there don't seem to be many pubs near the new ground, so I expect the landlord will be OK - it'll be the same routine for many home and away fans, just with a longer walk - about 3/4 mile - afterwards.

No doubt Lionel Road will have bigger, indoor, concourses selling alcohol but not the same at all afaic, it'll still be the pub for me.

Was well worth getting there early - got served straight away at 5.45, but we could hardly get through the bar area when we left for the game at 7.20, it was so packed with City fans trying to get served.

Pretty sure City fans will do their bit to keep these pubs going when we play there. :yes:

 

Reckon I must have spoken to you. I was wondering around chatting to most City fans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fond memories of the place - being in the bottom tier when Barnard scored in that PO semi - absolute limbs everywhere. The following season when we stuffed them 4-1. The Boxing Day? Fixture when Lita came off the bench and scored two. Think it was same game some bloke was watching in his garden (when the away end swapped for a few seasons) got all sorts of friendly abuse.  Will miss the place for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2019 at 12:22, phantom said:

Reckon I must have spoken to you. I was wondering around chatting to most City fans 

Think we've found our preferred candidate for SLO! :thumbsup:

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2019 at 11:34, phantom said:

It does make you wonder that all these new stadia etc are supposed to enhance the matchday experience and make it safer, yet an old school ground like this has a completely different vibe 

I think new stadia are, on the whole, a bit shit. F*****g concourses, FFS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...