IGNORED

Fam Last Night...

Silvio Dante

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

2 goals in 19 League appearances

I Think Lees realised , and IMHO,  what he should have done 18months+ ago

Famara doesn’t fit our ethos , never has and hasn’t improved since he arrived

I keep,asking people who say that’s not his game what ‘his game’ actually is, no one has really tackled that

His touch and (lack of)  movement are awful for a Cjphampionhip forward and neither show signs of improvement 3 yrs in

He beats his chest and fans see that as committment

Fwiw I don’t see the workrate or giving it his all 

As for his effect on out play , as I said , IMHO it’s like pouring cooking oil in your engine 

Curtis Davies made interesting comments about him 18 months ago

Stats can be easily fitted into an agenda. He’s got a better than 1 in 3 ratio in the league for us which makes him currently our most prolific striker. 

For diedhiou I think he’s a decent enough target man who can also play off of the shoulder, his touch has improved vastly over the last 12 months as well. As has his movement, he was flat footed for palmers through ball on Tuesday but he made a couple of decent runs v Preston and was unfortunate with his disallowed goal. 

What were davies’ comments btw, don’t think I’ve seen them?

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Stats can be easily fitted into an agenda. He’s got a better than 1 in 3 ratio in the league for us which makes him currently our most prolific striker. 

For diedhiou I think he’s a decent enough target man who can also play off of the shoulder, his touch has improved vastly over the last 12 months as well. As has his movement, he was flat footed for palmers through ball on Tuesday but he made a couple of decent runs v Preston and was unfortunate with his disallowed goal. 

What were davies’ comments btw, don’t think I’ve seen them?

What do you expect from a ‘target man’

And.   ‘can play off the shoulder ‘    

Really ? I’d say I can  hardly think of a striker who’s less suited

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

All about opinions, but as soon as you select Diedhiou, you lose the effectiveness of Palmer and Weimann.  I’d rather Semenyo get 5/10 every game to allow Palmer and Weimann to function.  Ideally, Semenyo improves, or LJ pulls a masterstroke and finds a “forward” in O’Dowda or Szmodics.  I am down on Fam, because I think he’s regressing.  I saw quite a bit of him at Angers, admittedly in France, but still top-flight French Footie and he was a better playing than he’s showing currently.  I’d love him to come good, but I do wonder whether he can be an effective striker for us.  Goals record is pretty decent.  I want more from a 13 goal striker.  Weimann is a 10+ striker (who plays half his games out wide) but offers stuff for the team.  It’s tough.  I don’t like being critical of Fam.

To be honest, when Nagy comes back does Kasey fit in the team? I’d be inclined to drop massengo but I realise that’s slightly controversial and brownhill can’t be dropped atm. In that case I think diedhiou starts, he can work well with Weimann but we need consistent good deliveries in the box to make it happen. 

I would like to see Szmodics tried up front though, it didn’t work v swansea but he put good effort in and I think there’s a Bobby Reid mark II there. 

I think parts of fams game (his touch for one) have improved, whilst other parts (his anticipation mainly) have regressed. It’s difficult to judge in a whole though

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What do you expect from a ‘target man’

And.   ‘can play off the shoulder ‘    

Really ? I’d say I can  hardly think of a striker who’s less suited

Someone who can hold the ball up well, which he has proven to do recently, especially away at Preston where he put in a decent shift. 

From what I remember his goals in France were quite regularly off the should of the last man, I may be wrong though...

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Someone who can hold the ball up well, which he has proven to do recently, especially away at Preston where he put in a decent shift. 

From what I remember his goals in France were quite regularly off the should of the last man, I may be wrong though...

Fair enough

I see a target man who rarely keeps possession , or shows / moves to become an ‘out’ , and one who is virtually zero threat ‘off the shoulder’ / in behind 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair enough

I see a target man who rarely keeps possession , or shows / moves to become an ‘out’ , and one who is virtually zero threat ‘off the shoulder’ / in behind 

Interesting, he kept the ball well at Preston. Which considering the lack of support around him said a lot. 

He offers more than that though, look at weimanns goal from last night and how he takes Jansson  with him by making a run towards the middle of the goal, giving Weimann the free header. Would Semenyo have demanded that much attention? I’m not so sure

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Interesting, he kept the ball well at Preston. Which considering the lack of support around him said a lot. 

He offers more than that though, look at weimanns goal from last night and how he takes 2 defenders with him by making the back post run, giving Weimann the free header. Would Semenyo have demanded that much attention? I’m not so sure

Where was this ‘back post run’ then ?

try ‘ambled into box in a straight line’

1441701D-ECB9-49EB-B633-DDB7ABDA0251.jpeg

520FF98D-05D7-4CDD-ABDD-9139030418B2.jpeg

678B42AA-8EFC-43D2-83A2-C5C20283DEDD.jpeg

4917F523-2953-4CA6-B53A-5B26B5E2D764.jpeg

25 minutes ago, mozo said:

I just wonder if Semenyo would actually benefit more from a season in league one to continue a steady development. Too late now though. He's in the thick of it.

I think a lot of what's happening with Semenyo is down to the interest last season by the likes of Chelsea.

He decided to stay here, when imo he could have gone to a bigger Club.

Our Pathway is important in attracting players here.

Playing Semenyo imo is a big statement to the footballing world.

Imo we've kept a promise... he'd probably be getting less time if Afobe was fit, but I think our methodology is taking precident in many ways in Semenyos case.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Where was this ‘back post run’ then ?

try ‘ambled into box in a straight line’

1441701D-ECB9-49EB-B633-DDB7ABDA0251.jpeg

520FF98D-05D7-4CDD-ABDD-9139030418B2.jpeg

678B42AA-8EFC-43D2-83A2-C5C20283DEDD.jpeg

4917F523-2953-4CA6-B53A-5B26B5E2D764.jpeg

Got to be honest I hadn’t watched it back and from my poor viewpoint it looked like he’d made a decent run ?

That being said he still dragged Jansson away from Weimann who he was meant to be marking

17 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

To be honest, when Nagy comes back does Kasey fit in the team? I’d be inclined to drop massengo but I realise that’s slightly controversial and brownhill can’t be dropped atm. In that case I think diedhiou starts, he can work well with Weimann but we need consistent good deliveries in the box to make it happen. 

I would like to see Szmodics tried up front though, it didn’t work v swansea but he put good effort in and I think there’s a Bobby Reid mark II there. 

I think parts of fams game (his touch for one) have improved, whilst other parts (his anticipation mainly) have regressed. It’s difficult to judge in a whole though

I am sure some sort of injury will occur somewhere to allow everyone you mentioned to get game time.

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Got to be honest I hadn’t watched it back and from my poor viewpoint it looked like he’d made a decent run ?

That being said he still dragged Jansson away from Weimann who he was meant to be marking

It was a combination, mainly  of dreadful marking 

A great cross from Hunt

And Weimann having the nous to merely hold his position / space ( And a great header back from where it came)

If you watch it again it’s actually movement by Palmer and moreso by COD that actually helps draw attention of the defenders 

It actually is a good example of Famara lack of movement IMHO

I don't really question Fam's ability as a good championship striker. More the ability for him to fit in with how we play.

Some of those away wins last season he was one of our best players. Key to how we played.

To be fair we have seen very little of Fam in this system we now play. We usually go to 442 when he is brought on.

I think this 352/5212 may suit him more if the 1 behind him is a runner (O'Dowda, possibly Szmodics?) more than a creator (Palmer)

9 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

In my opinion....

I don’t think LJ brought Palmer back to sit him on the sidelines.  I do think LJ has seen the potential of 2 forwards with Palmer in behind.  Every chance (bar Weimann’s goal) had a sprinkle / large handful of Palmer gold-dust in it last night.  He will have seen the Palmer / Afobe link-up and realise where the potential lies.

There are challenges once everyone is fit, whether that’s a continuation of 5212 with AN rotating with JB and HNM, or whether the return of Kalas allows a ‘sexy’ 4312.  We will have to wait and see.  Knowing our luck other injuries will occur and it won’t be cut and dried. ?

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I didn’t see that in Fam’s 33 minute performance on Saturday.  That half hour was our worst of the game.  Not all Fam’s fault.  Just wasn’t getting a vibe that Fam was helping us.  Not sure below helps....mixed id say!

3AE16F57-3396-40E5-8908-2D216897F64E.thumb.jpeg.f9f8cdf80da1759e1accdd321162b1fb.jpeg6C6E1C9C-38F5-4E75-B527-1338B73683EE.thumb.jpeg.5cce28b193f2c79382e0d195699605b9.jpeg

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't really question Fam's ability as a good championship striker. More the ability for him to fit in with how we play.

Some of those away wins last season he was one of our best players. Key to how we played.

To be fair we have seen very little of Fam in this system we now play. We usually go to 442 when he is brought on.

I think this 352/5212 may suit him more if the 1 behind him is a runner (O'Dowda, possibly Szmodics?) more than a creator (Palmer)

Fair comments JD.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In my opinion....

I don’t think LJ brought Palmer back to sit him on the sidelines.  I do think LJ has seen the potential of 2 forwards with Palmer in behind.  Every chance (bar Weimann’s goal) had a sprinkle / large handful of Palmer gold-dust in it last night.  He will have seen the Palmer / Afobe link-up and realise where the potential lies.

There are challenges once everyone is fit, whether that’s a continuation of 5212 with AN rotating with JB and HNM, or whether the return of Kalas allows a ‘sexy’ 4312.  We will have to wait and see.  Knowing our luck other injuries will occur and it won’t be cut and dried. ?

I didn’t see that in Fam’s 33 minute performance on Saturday.  That half hour was our worst of the game.  Not all Fam’s fault.  Just wasn’t getting a vibe that Fam was helping us.  Not sure below helps....mixed id say!

3AE16F57-3396-40E5-8908-2D216897F64E.thumb.jpeg.f9f8cdf80da1759e1accdd321162b1fb.jpeg6C6E1C9C-38F5-4E75-B527-1338B73683EE.thumb.jpeg.5cce28b193f2c79382e0d195699605b9.jpeg

Am I right in understanding that , that of the 8 times he received the ball in the opp half he retained possession twice ?

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It was a combination, mainly  of dreadful marking 

A great cross from Hunt

And Weimann having the nous to merely hold his position / space ( And a great header back from where it came)

If you watch it again it’s actually movement by Palmer and moreso by COD that actually helps draw attention of the defenders 

It actually is a good example of Famara lack of movement IMHO

Interesting, Fam makes a very similar run to Palmer. 

O’Dowda makes a run to a pretty unthreatening position and isn’t picked up at all. 

And yet they both had more to do with the goal than Fam? 

41 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I wonder if the answer is something unconventional again. I wouldn’t mind seeing O’Dowda play the Afobe role. He has the physical attributes to do it. He is not getting minutes at LWB and we do not often play wingers atm. I don’t think he’d be full of goals but think it would help us maybe win more set pieces like corners and fouls around the box. Him and Weimann would be nightmares for defenders with their pressing ability. Just a thought as not sure Fam or Semenyo are the answers for us

O'Dowda may have similar footballing attributes to Afobe, so in that respect I can see the basics of your argument.

But the same physical attributes?

Are you ****ing sure??

11 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Interesting, Fam makes a very similar run to Palmer. 

O’Dowda makes a run to a pretty unthreatening position and isn’t picked up at all. 

And yet they both had more to do with the goal than Fam? 

Yes 

Exactly that 

Watch it again

Palmer gets in front of his marker drawing his attention and bringing him under the ball

COD makes a 10 yard run into the box as the ball is delivered and will have drawn the attention of the two defenders near Famara making it impossible for them to stop / move backwards 

E58A7376-9603-405D-9DAB-E2DFF7184496.jpeg

1 minute ago, Superjack said:

O'Dowda may have similar footballing attributes to Afobe, do in that respect I can see the basics of your argument.

But the same physical attributes?

Are you ****ing sure??

Agree with you on this bit...but he has pace.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Am I right in understanding that , that of the 8 times he received the ball in the opp half he retained possession twice ?

Let’s also not forget that when he came on he was very isolated, with us playing a midfield 4 with Watkins on one wing and Palmer on the other, neither of whom are exactly game changers in those positions. 

Yes 

Exactly that 

Watch it again

Palmer gets in front of his marker drawing his attention and bringing him under the ball

COD makes a 10 yard run into the box as the ball is delivered and will have drawn the attention of the two defenders near Famara making it impossible for them to stop / move backwards 

True, Palmer makes a run in front of his man just like diedhiou. 

Im struggling to see where O’Dowda makes a threatening run though? Unless the ball comes back out/diagonally back across goal, he’s not going to be interfering with play and so the defenders just leave him alone. 

Regardless, and back to the original point. From what I saw of Fam last night and on Saturday some of the criticism he’s recieved on here has been slightly unfounded imo.

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

True, Palmer makes a run in front of his man just like diedhiou. 

Im struggling to see where O’Dowda makes a threatening run though? Unless the ball comes back out/diagonally back across goal, he’s not going to be interfering with play and so the defenders just leave him alone. 

Regardless, and back to the original point. From what I saw of Fam last night and on Saturday some of the criticism he’s recieved on here has been slightly unfounded imo.

As I said I’d watch it again 

Its a run where he either gets in end of the cross , or he sucks defenders under the ball 

32 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Someone who can hold the ball up well, which he has proven to do recently, especially away at Preston where he put in a decent shift...

Fammy came on with around half an hour left at Preston, a ‘decent shift’ is the absolute bare minimum we should expect from a £5m+ striker who is earning a fortune ... 

As I said I’d watch it again 

Its a run where he either gets in end of the cross , or he sucks defenders under the ball 

I’ve watched it numerous times now and unless your counting running a good few yards behind the ball, before stopping 12 yards out to watch it go past him as a good run, then I’m totally befuddled

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fammy came on with around half an hour left at Preston, a ‘decent shift’ is the absolute bare minimum we should expect from a £5m+ striker who is earning a fortune ... 

What did you think of O’Dowda then?

The £2 million pound winger who came one and did the square root of zilch

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I’ve watched it numerous times now and unless your counting running a good few yards behind the ball, before stopping 12 yards out to watch it go past him as a good run, then I’m totally befuddled

Stops 12 yards out from where - the goal ?

Its a coaching point , taking attention of defenders and keeping them under the ball 

If COD doesn’t make that run , With no threat in front of them , one of the two Brentford defenders near Famara can back off and close the space on AW 

Its an unselfish run , unlikely to get the ball but attracts defenders attention

Archived