IGNORED

Fam Last Night...

Silvio Dante

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Stops 12 yards out from where - the goal ?

Its a coaching point , taking attention of defenders and keeping them under the ball 

If COD doesn’t make that run , With no threat in front of them , one of the two Brentford defenders near Famara can back off and close the space on AW 

No defender is drawn near him at all?

Unless 2 Brentford players have magically disappeared from my screen, the ones tracking the cross are focused on Fam, Palmer and rather belatedly for the third, Weimann. 

Odowda doesn’t come into it at all?

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

No defender is drawn near him at all?

Unless 2 Brentford players have magically disappeared from my screen, the ones tracking the cross are focused on Fam, Palmer and rather belatedly for the third, Weimann. 

Odowda doesn’t come into it at all?

Really ?

you don’t think his run had any effect at all on the two defenders near Famara ?

Blimey

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Really ?

you don’t think his run had any effect at all on the two defenders near Famara ?

Blimey

Considering one of them is tracking the run of Palmer stride for stride and the other (Jansson) has is eyes in the ball the whole time, and in fact jumps to get it clear. I’d say O’Dowda, who wasn’t being tracked, or in fact looked at, made no influence on the defence no. Especially when compared to Palmer, fam and Weimann 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If you don’t think a additional body arriving in the penalty spot is no distraction fo the two defenders behind him then we have different ideas about the game !

Hold on, you mean the two defenders on the edge of the penalty area dawdling back?

Ah ok now I get you

6 hours ago, KingLear said:

Yeah probably agree with most of that, you can't fault the guys effort, always puts in 100% but lacks that bit of quality to be top class at this level.

To give him credit though, his run towards the near post for Hunt's cross for the equaliser did draw 2 defenders away and left the space for Weimann to score.

There is a lot of work he puts in that does go unnoticed as of course people are looking for their strikers to score goals at the end of the day.

I do like Fam, and I still think he's a useful commodity to have in the squad, but do wonder if there will be a place for him here when (if) we bring another striker in.

Sadly I think its a case of a square peg in a round hole, I'm not knocking the guys ability or effort, sometimes it just doesn't work out for one reason or another. I feel he may be moved on, depending on who comes in & how they perform & how quickly AS adapts to the role.

I can't help but like the guy but if he goes I will always have the fear that he will fit in well somewhere else & possibly hurt us at some stage.

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I wonder if the answer is something unconventional again. I wouldn’t mind seeing O’Dowda play the Afobe role. He has the physical attributes to do it. He is not getting minutes at LWB and we do not often play wingers atm. I don’t think he’d be full of goals but think it would help us maybe win more set pieces like corners and fouls around the box. Him and Weimann would be nightmares for defenders with their pressing ability. Just a thought as not sure Fam or Semenyo are the answers for us

Yep i would love to see COD and Weimann up top. We have seen bits of COD playing behind the front man like Norwich away and a few other appearances in that role. Seems to suit him. And we have seen him as the main striker at the end of games, and he has been a right handful for defences.

To me Weimann needs a player that can press with pace and energy, someone that can drop off into midfield and run out wide, as well as having the physical attributes to cope in being the last man up against big centre backs when Weimann finds himself wide or deep. 

I can imagine plenty of pressing and movement from the 2. Enough goals? Well Weimann is scoring now, and will surely only get more chances in a good partnership. O'Dowda has shown an ability to get chances and finish. I think that side of his game improved last season.

There's been many wingers converted into strikers. It will take some learning from COD but it's something I'd like to try.

I like Semenyo, but if he isn't ready yet to start every game then I don't see many other options than COD.

Watkins would offer good attributes alongside Weimann and would press well, but not so sure about the technical side of his game.

Szmodics maybe a bit too lightweight. Still a bit early to tell with him.

Palmer in behind Weimann in a lone role would leave Weimann too isolated imo.

13 hours ago, spudski said:

Since Afobe and Semenyo starting he looks even a shadow of himself...

My gut instinct is that he will be moved on. And maybe he feels this too...who knows.

He's had long enough to know how we play...he just doesn't fit imo.

Since Semenyo has started, who looks a shadow of himself, Fammy or Samenyo? 

9 hours ago, bpexile said:

Sadly I think its a case of a square peg in a round hole, I'm not knocking the guys ability or effort, sometimes it just doesn't work out for one reason or another. I feel he may be moved on, depending on who comes in & how they perform & how quickly AS adapts to the role.

I can't help but like the guy but if he goes I will always have the fear that he will fit in well somewhere else & possibly hurt us at some stage.

Yeah I agree. I think he needs a team that are going to style their play based on his strengths, whereas at the moment we're trying to fit his strengths into our style of play and like you said, that square peg doesn't quite fit.

On 03/10/2019 at 22:51, JBFC II said:

What did you think of O’Dowda then?

The £2 million pound winger who came one and did the square root of zilch

Largely ineffective but I was replying to a thread solely about Famara Diedhiou - you won’t hear a word against Fammy without deflecting comments onto other players (see your post above) - but that’s fine, it’s a game entirely built on opinions - some will agree with you, some won’t - no need to go off topic and drag COD into a thread about Fammy ...

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Largely ineffective but I was replying to a thread solely about Famara Diedhiou - you won’t hear a word against Fammy without deflecting comments onto other players (see your post above) - but that’s fine, it’s a game entirely built on opinions - some will agree with you, some won’t - no need to go off topic and drag COD into a thread about Fammy ...

I dragged him in as he was totally ineffective when compared to fam yet he doesn’t seem to get the same stick, in comparison to his performance fam was decent

On 03/10/2019 at 16:04, Silvio Dante said:

At Griffin Park last night, I had the unusual experience of being behind the goal (don’t get to too many away and seats are in Dolman). What that did was give a really good view of Famara second half, and to try and get a perspective on why he doesn’t seem to fit currently (note, I know I’m not his biggest fan).

First things first. The chance from the KP through ball just after HT. If you watch Fams run, it’s scattergun. It could be argued he’s taking defenders away but it more looked as if he didn’t know what run to make as he’s in, out, and across in a lot of movement. When the ball came it was in his path but only because he’d arrived there rather than making a specific run (see difference with Afobe pointing). That’s why he didn’t collect, it was because the ball for want of a better term hit him, as opposed to hitting his stride through the run intent.

Next, the positioning from GK/Balls from the back. You could see exactly when Fam was going to win the ball - he got in position early, set himself and ran maybe 4-5 yards towards the ball. When he wasn’t in position early, he didn’t react quickly enough to the ball out to win it. He probably won 50% of balls out from the back, but only when he was set early first.

General work rate - I don’t subscribe to the theory Fam didn’t work last night. I think he did, but the problem was he didn’t anticipate so when we had the ball, he looked off the pace. Plus, anyone would look bad compared to Weimanns work rate.

What all the above says to me is that the main problem Fam has is his anticipation - his game awareness if you like. Give him a set scenario and he’s fine. Ask him to play instinctively, and he struggles. What’s happening is we now have intelligent, probing, fast moving players in midfield (the tempo of Brownhill/Palmer/Massengo is way quicker than Brownhill/Pato/Pack where the latter two played quite deliberately and Fam had more opportunity to “set”). It’s difficult to see how his speed of thought can catch up with KP etc and that’s why he’s not been first choice after Benik got injured - it’s the impact on the rest of the team and the speed of thought we look to play at. He looks worse because of that but he’s not actually playing worse than prior.

I think he’s got a role this season - but even with Benik injured, I find it hard to envisage anything other than impact sub in view of the above,

On 03/10/2019 at 16:21, spudski said:

Think you are spot on in your assessment. He lacks speed of thought and anticipation. Which then translates to his body reaction. He's never on his toes...flat footed and often in the wrong body shape to receive or run into.

This is why as you point out, the ball hits him more often than not, and he struggles to control the ball.

At his age it should be ingrained. Technically he's poor...and at this level you need that speed of mind and technical ability to gain advantage.

Love the lads desire, but imo he's also a player that needs to feel wanted and loved to even perform anywhere near what we need.

Since Afobe and Semenyo starting he looks even a shadow of himself...

My gut instinct is that he will be moved on. And maybe he feels this too...who knows.

He's had long enough to know how we play...he just doesn't fit imo.

100% how I see him. Not good enough, doesn’t fit the way we play at all. 

2 hours ago, J-mat said:

?

Exactly. Fam on his toes for 60 minutes today. Playing aggressively not passively. That’s what Fam needs to do. Get across his man. Anticipate.

He did that for the goal and generally had his best game of the season.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer though. Tin hat - Eliasson a passenger for large portions of game, and absolutely awful second half without the ball. He had no idea how to play when Reading changed to a 4231 and Ejaria moved wide left. His inability to be disciplined in shape when we are without the ball is a big prob for LJ.

Do you accept that flaw for the creative side or not. Personally I do t when you have Palmer. 

pleased for Fam. When he’s at full tilt he’s a handful. Lee needs to get him angry every game. 

Gave him a 6 today. Did some good things, some frustrating things. Looked knackered early second half. Still don't see him and Weimann as the right partnership.

29 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Gave him a 6 today. Did some good things, some frustrating things. Looked knackered early second half. Still don't see him and Weimann as the right partnership.

You’re generous, :whistle:, I would have given him 9 for the first half alone, they just couldn’t play him. Second half not so impressive, but just the piece of work to set up Massengo was worth more than 6.

I was expecting this to be resurrected today!

Fair play to Fam today, first half played well (LJ said he played “angry”), second half dropped off along with a lot of the team and it was notable that LJ indicated post match he still only had 60-65 minutes in him.

It doesn’t really change the initial observation - one of the reasons Fam played well was the different system, another was that we had so much ball first half that the “setting” referred to earlier came more naturally. I haven’t seen a replay of his goal yet but he seemed to have acres so hopefully down to good movement.

Pleased for him - but I’m not sure 4-4-2 will work against better teams, and as such don’t think today changes the current “square peg, round hole” issue

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Fair play to Fam today, first half played well (LJ said he played “angry”), second half dropped off along with a lot of the team and it was notable that LJ indicated post match he still only had 60-65 minutes in him.

It doesn’t really change the initial observation - one of the reasons Fam played well was the different system, another was that we had so much ball first half that the “setting” referred to earlier came more naturally. I haven’t seen a replay of his goal yet but he seemed to have acres so hopefully down to good movement.

Pleased for him - but I’m not sure 4-4-2 will work against better teams, and as such don’t think today changes the current “square peg, round hole” issue

Took his goal well but the Centre halves seemed to disperse and give him an invitation more so than great movement 

Thought he did really well today , but don’t you think that was down to his approach and attitude / mindset rather than any system

10 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Haven’t read the rest of this thread since before the game. Credit where it’s due , he had a better game and took his goal well. Still frustrating and good job he was flagged offside for that miss second half . Didn’t deserve to be taken off imo 

Was knackered. Down on his haunches after an hour. Summoned enough energy to set up Massengo, but gasket blown at that point!!

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Took his goal well but the Centre halves seemed to disperse and give him an invitation more so than great movement 

Thought he did really well today , but don’t you think that was down to his approach and attitude / mindset rather than any system

Sorry, re-reading don’t think I was clear - I do think that was a contribution (the “played angry” piece - Fams best games are always when he’s in that mindset) of equal or more value to the system - happy to clarify!

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

He still dropped deep ish first half when with 2 proper wingers the ball was crying out to be put in the box. All very pretty with little end product. Frustrating imo because I thought they were there for the taking first half . 

Archived