IGNORED

Neil Harris....

BanburyRed

11 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Ipswich Mk2, fans with delusions of grandeur who can’t see what a good job the boss is doing with limited resources. 

How do they have delusions of grandeur?  Firstly, there are still a good percentage of Millwall fans who wanted him to stay. Secondly, it’s not about league position as such.  It’s more about style of play and Harris trying the same thing all the time and expecting different results.

Millwall fans don’t expect the club to be pushing play offs at all. There is nothing wrong with wanting a bit of entertainment on a Saturday.

19 minutes ago, RedDave said:

How do they have delusions of grandeur?  Firstly, there are still a good percentage of Millwall fans who wanted him to stay. Secondly, it’s not about league position as such.  It’s more about style of play and Harris trying the same thing all the time and expecting different results.

Millwall fans don’t expect the club to be pushing play offs at all. There is nothing wrong with wanting a bit of entertainment on a Saturday.

3 years of continual improvement then hounded out after one bad season. I know a few Millwall fans and they were all thrilled to hear he’d left which is a sad state of affairs.

He’s done an excellent job there, just as McCarthy did at Ipswich, with their fans seemingly being the only ones who didn’t see it. They’re a low end championship/good league one club at best. 

19 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

3 years of continual improvement then hounded out after one bad season. I know a few Millwall fans and they were all thrilled to hear he’d left which is a sad state of affairs.

He’s done an excellent job there, just as McCarthy did at Ipswich, with their fans seemingly being the only ones who didn’t see it. They’re a low end championship/good league one club at best. 

So fans should just put up with dire drab football then?

37 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not sure the 2 are quite the same- for a start, Ipswich lost in one summer Waghorn, McGoldrick and Garner- look at the number of goals that fell out of that team- oh and Celina.

Even McCarthy would've struggled for goals last season- and struggled in general! 39 goals out of 57 from those 4 alone- not even considered assists, or for that matter the weakening or otherwise of the defence or midfield!

As for this one, Harris has done well but wonder if they can develop the style a little more-  would it come at the expense of survival though?

14 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Exactly. Sometimes you have to take a step back or two in order progress. Ipswich are doing ok at the minute in League One. I imagine they will come back up and be more of an interesting outfit than there previous time in the Championship.

28 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Well that depends. Do they want to be an exciting league one club or a secure championship one? The role of the manager is to do the best possible with the resources at your disposal. 

For my money Harris was absolutely doing that at Millwall on balance. 

13 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Exactly. Sometimes you have to take a step back or two in order progress. Ipswich are doing ok at the minute in League One. I imagine they will come back up and be more of an interesting outfit than there previous time in the Championship.

Agreed. My number one priority is to watch good football. I’d much rather be league one under LJ trying to play football than Championship under Pulis or Warnock

13 minutes ago, Redpool said:

If the owner won’t put his hand in his pocket they’ll be exactly what they were under McCarthy at best. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not sure the 2 are quite the same- for a start, Ipswich lost in one summer Waghorn, McGoldrick and Garner- look at the number of goals that fell out of that team- oh and Celina.

Even McCarthy would've struggled for goals last season- and struggled in general! 39 goals out of 57 from those 4 alone- not even considered assists, or for that matter the weakening or otherwise of the defence or midfield!

As for this one, Harris has done well but wonder if they can develop the style a little more-  would it come at the expense of survival though?

All of that is a symptom of the owner, who was the real problem there and not Mick. He must have been laughing his cock off when they went down!

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Well that depends. Do they want to be an exciting league one club or a secure championship one? The role of the manager is to do the best possible with the resources at your disposal. 

For my money Harris was absolutely doing that at Millwall on balance. 

I would rather be exciting league one than dire Championship but you are assuming that better football means relegation with that comment. Maybe they will end up being a more exciting championship side.

I don’t understand the flak Ipswich fans got when they went down either. A lot of pundits gave them stick as if results is the be all and end all

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

If the owner won’t put his hand in his pocket they’ll be exactly what they were under McCarthy at best. 

All of that is a symptom of the owner, who was the real problem there and not Mick. He must have been laughing his cock off when they went down!

Yes, I tend to agree though it's not always the case- would be interested to see Sheff Utd v Ipswich budgets etc for season just gone.

Anyway, no doubt McCarthy did a good job there but no guarantee with the departures in the summer that he keeps them up either!

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Why will they be like under McCarthy at best? Do you equate good football with money?  Not necessarily the case at all. 

Bristol City, Swansea, Brentford and Hull all lie in the bottom half of the nett spend Championship league table. All play good football. 

Looking at gross spend, Charlton and Preston are right at the bottom. I’d say they both play decent football.  Both far from a Neil Harris Millwall side or a Mick McCarthy Ipswich side. 

17 hours ago, JBFC II said:

So that now makes LJ the longest serving championship manager I believe?

If so, shows how important stability and patience are. We’re fortunate that Lansdown backs the project and is willing to give LJ the funds he needs to see it through. Let’s hope this is the season where that happens

It's some fans who are impatient and it only needs a dozen or more posts on any fans' forum clamouring for the manager's head to influence Chairmen.

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

Why will they be like under McCarthy at best? Do you equate good football with money?  Not necessarily the case at all. 

The owner was content for them to be a bang average team. With that direction from the top, that was all they were going to be. 

And if you want a man to get ‘bang average’ out of a ‘poor’ group, then you can’t do much better than Mick. 

Only my opinion, but if they come back up this season then IMO they’ll just then be the same average team they were when they were last in the championship, and thus hounding Mick out and replacing him has done what exactly?

Absolutely nothing and taken them two two years.

I completely agree that sometimes you have to go backwards a step to go forwards to, but that analogy only really applies if there’s any actual driver for change from the top down. 

20 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

@Olé What are the natives saying down your neck of the woods?

Will find out Saturday night if I'm still standing after City. They tell me half the support including all the young lot have been after Harris since last season. It's like Ipswich all over again, old timers happy to tread water, loudmouths being emotional and assume change makes it all better. 

Last time I was down my local the Millwall lads I talk to accepted no one could make a go of it with the players they have, albeit there is some irritation with how Harris sets them up. Personally having lived here for 5 years I think they're mad, he's holding it all together, players are substandard.

On 04/10/2019 at 20:06, Olé said:

Will find out Saturday night if I'm still standing after City. They tell me half the support including all the young lot have been after Harris since last season. It's like Ipswich all over again, old timers happy to tread water, loudmouths being emotional and assume change makes it all better. 

Last time I was down my local the Millwall lads I talk to accepted no one could make a go of it with the players they have, albeit there is some irritation with how Harris sets them up. Personally having lived here for 5 years I think they're mad, he's holding it all together, players are substandard.

Any update?

On 04/10/2019 at 09:48, Leveller said:

Millwall fans seem to reckon he’s off to Southend.

Nothing unusual in that. It's a normal day trip out for the cockney boys. Nice plate of jellied eels an all. Bit like us going to Wesson.

Shame about the weather mind.

5 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Exactly this.  I remember Stoke fans phoning in to 5live saying they would prefer playing in the Championship than playing Pulis football.  They were 6th in the Prem at the time. 

Got what they wished for though. 

To be fair I'd probably rather be without Pullis and a league below. There is only so much fans should have to take. 

Rowett did well at Burton & Birmingham doing really well with a pretty poor group of players at the latter... Fairly sure he was unfortunate to lose his job there, did the owners bring Gianfranco Zola in or something? Anyway since then poor spells at Derby and Stoke seemingly undid all his hard work? I think Millwall's currently lowly status may benefit him though and I feel he will being the best out of them

3 hours ago, WWred said:

Rowett did well at Burton & Birmingham doing really well with a pretty poor group of players at the latter... Fairly sure he was unfortunate to lose his job there, did the owners bring Gianfranco Zola in or something? Anyway since then poor spells at Derby and Stoke seemingly undid all his hard work? I think Millwall's currently lowly status may benefit him though and I feel he will being the best out of them

Wasn`t there talk of him trying to get a job elsewhere while he was at Brum, contacting other clubs on the quiet?

Archived