IGNORED

Steve Cotterill interview

daored

Article today in the Post, regarding an interview Steve Cotterill.

Headlines:

Should have had longer at the club, believes he would have turned city into a serious championship club 

The players he signed have become championship players, despite having no championship experience when signed 

Frequently watches city, wants to get back into work 

Not much said , link to the article below:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/steve-cotterill-opens-up-old-3391422

@Shtanley, Steve might fancy a cider and a chat!!

It would be fascinating to see how we’d have done had Cotterill been able to bring in Maguire/Gayle/Grey.

He clearly had an eye for a player as all three of those have done well. 

I don’t believe he’s the type of manager the board of the ‘modern’ Bristol City want. They want someone amicable who is easy to work with in the current structure. Someone who’s progressive and will occasionally get us good coverage in the national press. Johnson epitomises that.

Cotterill was old school and I imagine wasn't always easy to work with - that’s no criticism, to function in such a competitive industry you need to disagree internally. I’m sure LJ does too when appropriate, but I’m guessing is more tactful and diplomatic.

I really enjoyed watching the 14/15 side - just a shame it worked out how it did.

3 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Fair enough comments to be honest.

Can't doubt some of his signings have turned into solid championship regulars.

When you consider how much time LJ was given to turn things around during those runs of losses he probably think's he should have been afforded the same.

Good bloke Cotterill ?

I don’t think Cotts being replaced was solely down to results, his behaviour towards the end (arguing with supporters) didn’t sit particularly well, it seemed like the pressure was very much getting to him.

2 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Fair enough comments to be honest.

Can't doubt some of his signings have turned into solid championship regulars.

When you consider how much time LJ was given to turn things around during those runs of losses he probably think's he should have been afforded the same.

Good bloke Cotterill ?

Completely agree and he’d be right.

We will never really know what happened but it does appear he fell out with SL.

We have done well since but it’s been far from smooth; hard to argue we are in a good place though.

That said SC gave me the best season I have ever witnessed and will always be grateful and remember that fondly regardless of where we are now.

Would love ‘a cider with SC’ on OSIB @Shtanley!

6 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Don't think there's a city fan on here that has anything other than the utmost respect for the bloke - but despite a few low points since, I don't understand how anyone can be unhappy with the current state of things. It's worked out quite nicely, I think?

Agreed but I have seen SC slagged off on here before which I can never understand.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It would be fascinating to see how we’d have done had Cotterill been able to bring in Maguire/Gayle/Grey.

I don’t believe he’s the type of manager the board of the ‘modern’ Bristol City want. They want someone amicable who is easy to work with in the current structure. Someone who’s progressive and will occasionally get us good coverage in the national press. Johnson epitomises that.

Cotterill was old school and I imagine wasn't always easy to work with - that’s no criticism, to function in such a competitive industry you need to disagree internally. I’m sure LJ does too when appropriate, but I’m guessing is more tactful and diplomatic.

I really enjoyed watching the 14/15 side - just a shame it worked out how it did.

Could you do the financials, projected fees, wages and adjust the accounts accordingly? ;)

On a serious note, Maguire into that back 3 for the weakest link of the defence and that weakest link would've proven to be good depth, competition, then Gayle or Gray alongside Kodjia in his preferred 3-5-2...that could've been very interesting, agreed. In that scenario, Ayling could also have covered at RB more readily.

Let's not forget though we were weakened in some areas even, off the back of the great 2014/15 season. Tavernier- not adequately replaced in the summer- now Fredericks has proven to be impressive elsewhere but did not work out at all- 2 weeks, was it??

Cunningham- could have provided a more cautious option for some games, maybe the occasional back 4 with Bryan higher. Or quite simply useful depth and competition. Depth and competition drives standards.

Elliott- was inadequately replaced and remained so for some time, not just that season.

Think Cotts should've been a bit more patient and pragmatic while our income streams etc all grew- although there's also a case that we'd have needed a few less signings especially in January 2016 had we got Maguire and Gayle/Gray the first time round which would have helped the financial side.

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

I don’t think Cotts being replaced was solely down to results, his behaviour towards the end (arguing with supporters) didn’t sit particularly well, it seemed like the pressure was very much getting to him.

Probably right, although the argument going into the tunnel in the Atyeo was fully justified by Cotts. I was a few rows back and the bloke was out of order.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I thought he was great for us, but he clearly felt let down by the main man, and I honestly reckon he was trying to make a point to such an extent that he would have taken us down. LJ has of course been shown so much more understanding, time and money which must grate with SC

12 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I've asked through a middle person before and I got what seemed like a no back. 

Dont give up after one sort of ish 'no'

eEven a second 'No'  is a maybe...

Until you get a definite :

''No!, No!, No!!!''  (Flinty style) 

or an emphatic:

''stupid question''  (O'Driscoll-esque) hand waving shake of the head response  ...

Keep asking! ?

Cotts did some wonders for this club. 

Consider where we were at when he came to us. We were 23rd in league one with 2 wins from our first 19 games. We’d just come off a 1-0 defeat at Preston where 384 hardy fans had made the trip. Our squad that day had included the likes of Nicky Shorey, Marlon harewood and Ryan Taylor. 

Yet 18 months later cotts took us up with 99 points and a JPT to boot. The turn around is quite extraordinary. 

Things didn’t work out for him here, maybe due to a lack of funds being made available or maybe due to unrealistic targets? Regardless, the work he did was exceptional in turning us around from being a club destined to league 2 to a championship side. 

LJ has taken on the mantle and taken us further than I think Cotts would have done but regardless of that, the man saved our club from what looked like ruin. Legend

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Notwithstanding Adam El-Abd (which on paper actually looked a cracking buy) did SC make a single bad signing?

The only one I can think of is Simon Cox, but he was on loan and very low risk. 

All the signings Cotts made turned out to be good ones, bar fredericks and some of the youth team players who he brought in with no risk involved 

Did a good job, undoubtedly. But are some forgetting not filling the bench, even if only to give a youngster the experience of a match day, just to make a point. The club, the owner wanted to go in a certain direction & by all accounts, SC didn’t. Wish him all the best. But I think the route we are on is the correct one. COYR

For me, the League One double winning season sits second in my list of favourite seasons, with the 89/90 vintage edging it for me.  It was indeed a remarkable turnaround given the previous season, and credit to Cotts for that (and the board backing him in the transfer market at that time).

One particular thing I love about Cotts is his reaction to, I think, the third goal against Swindle at home when Wilbs hammered it home.  The passion was there for all to see, and how much it meant to him, especially after the events at their place when Swindle won the league in November.

Top man.

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Notwithstanding Adam El-Abd (which on paper actually looked a cracking buy) did SC make a single bad signing?

Permanently I don’t believe so. A few dodgy loans that didn’t fit but not sure if they were actually his decision (Cox)

Certainly had an eye for a player. A few people never liked him here, and will no doubt be on this thread soon to make that clear! 

didnt he have a thing about keep on going 3 5 2 when it just wasn't working in the championship?

I can remember getting annoyed with him when we could have done so much better I believe in those first championship games that saw him sacked.

the season before though I witnessed the best city season ive ever seen going to nearly all of the home games plus a trip to wembley

That fist pump to the crowd when Wilbs scored the third against swindle at the Gate that showed the passion of the bloke and even in the first match that season at the county ground he was trying hard not to let his anger spill over when interviewed after the match.

He was dogged and towards the end belligerent. I really liked his passion and he seemed the complete opposite to SOD. Obviously there was a falling out with the board towards the end and it was perhaps this that made the board look for a Head Coach role rather than a Manager.

Let's not forget he provided [in my view] the third best season in the club's entire history after the 1909 FA Final and the 75/76 Promotion Season and should be rightfully revered and applauded every time we see him.

33 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The only one I can think of is Simon Cox, but he was on loan and very low risk. 

All the signings Cotts made turned out to be good ones, bar fredericks and some of the youth team players who he brought in with no risk involved 

Fredericks didn't want to be here, and has gone on to better things. 

He laid the foundations for what is bearing fruit now.  I completely understand the thinking behind LJ's recruitment, and it has worked out probably better than we all imagined, Lj is doing a fantastic job, amd he helps that he is not only a smart coach, but media friendly with it?  However Cotterill performed an outstanding job in turning the club around and providing one of the greatest seasons in our current history.  I think the guy should be given VIP treatment when he comes to the Gate, so that it is never forgotten what he achieved in a relatively short time.  Thanks Cotts, I hope you soon get a job back in the game you clearly love.

Archived