IGNORED

Steve Cotterill interview

daored

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

In Jon Lansdown's interview with OSIB, I seem to remember him suggesting that he found the recruitment process around that time frustrating because they were being asked to go for players they knew they had no hope of getting. Maybe @Shtanley can confirm my memory for me. It does make it sound like SC was behaving like a kid a sweetshop, especially when he started to leave places empty on the bench rather than give any youngsters some experience. To my mind that was just a grown man sulking and basically forced SL to make a decision about his role.

Sort of. I think both sides would exaggerate a bit. Many on here have a better idea than I of what went on that summer when it came to missed targets. 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No it’s not!

Show me where SC had regularly used inexperienced (young) players at any of his previous clubs.

SC was/is in the same camp as Hansen ‘you’ll never win anything with youngsters’

I gave you a list of mainly academy players.  I could’ve included other non-homegrown players.  I didn’t include loans for players who’d been loaned out elsewhere.  I didn’t include players 22 or over.

Did you read my post? I gave you 10 players, over a 8 1/2 year period who played regularly.  The only one who didn’t was Bamford, because he was sold to Chelsea to help their embargo situation.

If I include players 22 years old (younger than a lot of City’s current squad), I could’ve doubled the list.  If I included the young inexperienced players he brought on at City, its even more.

Based on my rules about, how many have City brought through since he left.

Don’t make this thread a Cotts v LJ thing, it was a pretty well balanced thread until you brought your non-factual opinions to it.  You claim x and y, but you never back it up.  I’m the stats man, you asked me to prove it....I did.  I’m now repeating it.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t make this thread a Cotts v LJ thing, it was a pretty well balanced thread until you brought your non-factual opinions to it.  You claim x and y, but you never back it up.  I’m the stats man, you asked me to prove it....I did.  I’m now repeating it.

I’m not making this thread. SC v LJ debate. To me LJ will prove to be the most successful manager ever at City and imo is a far deeper thinker about the game than the majority of managers - sometimes to his own detriment but being a relatively young HC he’s learning from his mistakes on the job.

I think that MA was correct when he described LJ as ‘ a young and up and coming head coach’ when he was first appointed. We - me included - scoffed at that comment but I can see now exactly what MA meant.

To me LJ has done and continues to do a terrific job at City - long may it continue.

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not making this thread. SC v LJ debate. To me LJ will prove to be the most successful manager ever at City and imo is a far deeper thinker about the game than the majority of managers - sometimes to his own detriment but being a relatively young HC he’s learning from his mistakes on the job.

I think that MA was correct when he described LJ as ‘ a young and up and coming head coach’ when he was first appointed. We - me included - scoffed at that comment but I can see now exactly what MA meant.

To me LJ has done and continues to do a terrific job at City - long may it continue.

Do you now accept that Cotts brought through young and inexperienced players?  That was the thrust of your opinion, and the thrust of my response.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you now accept that Cotts brought through young and inexperienced players?  That was the thrust of your opinion, and the thrust of my response.

Of course he wont Dave. He's The Sage and is never wrong (unless the OS tells him differently). Facts have never got in the way of his utter drivel and never will.

For a bloke that worked in the mental health profession, you have to wonder how many people he actually helped considering he comes across as an utter basketcase himself.

Put the Cockwomble on ignore and forget about him.

22 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Thanks for ruining yet another thread.

Surely, even you should know that otib is a forum and forums are a platform where different opinions can be discussed/debated but because I don’t share in the SC love-in and have a different view on him as City manager you see me as ‘ruining yet another thread’......

If you don’t believe my description of a forum - look it up at Dictionary.com.

9 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Probably right, although the argument going into the tunnel in the Atyeo was fully justified by Cotts. I was a few rows back and the bloke was out of order.

I was right next to it and as i remember it was SC who was in the wrong 

44 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Firmly positioned in this club's modern history. And to this day I really think he would have turned it around, that summer he should have been backed and the games we played weren't terrible and we had absolutely no luck.

Someone is going to have to explain to me how massive bids for Gray and Gayle, immediately after promotion from the third tier, is not being “backed”.

It’s plainly obvious to me that he was chasing unrealistic targets beyond our reach, not only because of wages but simply because we were not as competitive or established as rivals competing for those signatures. That Gray was subsequently promoted with Burnley, and Gayle (latterly) the same with Newcastle, rather proves the point.

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Someone is going to have to explain to me how massive bids for Gray and Gayle, immediately after promotion from the third tier, is not being “backed”.

It’s plainly obvious to me that he was chasing unrealistic targets beyond our reach, not only because of wages but simply because we were not as competitive or established as rivals competing for those signatures. That Gray was subsequently promoted with Burnley, and Gayle (latterly) the same with Newcastle, rather proves the point.

Allegedly much lower bids, circa £4m for Gray, £1.5m for Maguire were agreed with Brentford and Hull City and decent but not stupid wages too, before Cotts went on summer break.  Within budget I assume.

John Pelling, the fall-guy In this eventually (left the club) tried to negotiate them down.

Brentford were unhappy and Burnley were mooted to be showing interest, so up the fee went (£6m), and Gray’s wage demands.  Gray was only gonna go one place once Burnley were interested.  That’s why the attempt for Gayle kicked off (£6m + £3m add-ons).

Hull City were pissed off and doubled the price to £3m.  Suddenly budgets gone!

Cotts comes back, and was in a piss all tour to Portugal (I think).

That’s the story.

11 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Fair enough comments to be honest.

Can't doubt some of his signings have turned into solid championship regulars.

When you consider how much time LJ was given to turn things around during those runs of losses he probably think's he should have been afforded the same.

Good bloke Cotterill ?

Nice bloke aswell great personality.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Allegedly much lower bids, circa £4m for Gray, £1.5m for Maguire were agreed with Brentford and Hull City and decent but not stupid wages too, before Cotts went on summer break.  Within budget I assume.

John Pelling, the fall-guy In this eventually (left the club) tried to negotiate them down.

Brentford were unhappy and Burnley were mooted to be showing interest, so up the fee went (£6m), and Gray’s wage demands.  Gray was only gonna go one place once Burnley were interested.  That’s why the attempt for Gayle kicked off (£6m + £3m add-ons).

That’s the story.

Great insight Dave, fair play.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s the story.

Thanks Dave- vaguely remember versions of that, sounds a real **** up by the club, actually would've been reasonably affordable too. Gayle plus associated wages however...

Wonder if Fredericks too may have been happier to stay had we added Maguire and Gray to an already talented squad- Cotts wouldn't have been hacked off and may have used some of the loanees properly, plus wouldn't have needed quite so many too- Kodjia and Gray 3-5-2...wow!!

Fredericks, Maguire, Kodjia Gray? All strong sell on value 

Real sliding doors moment if all broadly accurate there!!

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s the story.

Thats what i heard was moving to quick for sir steve

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks Dave- vaguely remember versions of that, sounds a real **** up by the club, actually would've been reasonably affordable too. Gayle plus associated wages however...

Wonder if Fredericks too may have been happier to stay had we added Maguire and Gray to an already talented squad- Cotts wouldn't have been hacked off and may have used some of the loanees properly, plus wouldn't have needed quite so many too- Kodjia and Gray 3-5-2...wow!!

Fredericks, Maguire, Kodjia Gray? All strong sell on value 

Real sliding doors moment if all broadly accurate there!!

Fielding

Fredericks | Ayling Flint Maguire | Bryan

Smith Pack

Freeman

Kodjia Gray

not bad, eh?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not bad at all!

Being really greedy, would've kept Cunningham too- great backup and competition, which could only benefit Bryan and the team.

Yep, with the old warhorse Wilbs covering up front.

Probably just needed another midfielder.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I gave you a list of mainly academy players.  I could’ve included other non-homegrown players.  I didn’t include loans for players who’d been loaned out elsewhere.  I didn’t include players 22 or over.

Did you read my post? I gave you 10 players, over a 8 1/2 year period who played regularly.  The only one who didn’t was Bamford, because he was sold to Chelsea to help their embargo situation.

If I include players 22 years old (younger than a lot of City’s current squad), I could’ve doubled the list.  If I included the young inexperienced players he brought on at City, its even more.

Based on my rules about, how many have City brought through since he left.

If he really wants to make it an LJ vs SC thing then just ask yourself this.

Would LJ had won the League in 14/15 with City? and the JPT? Because I dont think he would have.

I love both Managers btw. Think we needed SC and we need LJ to be where we are now. As we also needed SOD in a weird twisted way.

5 minutes ago, WiltshireReds said:

If he really wants to make it an LJ vs SC thing then just ask yourself this.

Would LJ had won the League in 14/15 with City? and the JPT? Because I dont think he would have.

I love both Managers btw. Think we needed SC and we need LJ to be where we are now. As we also needed SOD in a weird twisted way.

Which was exactly what I posted on pg1.

Imagine we transitioned straight from SOD in December 2013 to the then Oldham manager Johnson. ?

Or kept SOD until Feb 2016. ?????

We needed the Cotts “curveball” for 24 months whilst Lee did his apprenticeship out of SL’s firing line...literally.

It took me a while to get my head around it, because I loved Cotts so much.  I love LJ too, but in a different way.  Did someone earlier call LJ the wife and Cotts the mistress / ex?  Kinda works as an analogy.

Archived