IGNORED

Steve Cotterill interview

daored

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Well, Yes.

It would have been both difficult and extremely embarrassing to have retained SC as Manager having appointed LJ as Head Coach.

Do I really have to explain? 

LJ was obviously on SLs radar and had no doubt told MA to recruit him but at the time there was no vacancy.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Mystifying isn't it 

Absolutely it is. 

Loved Cotts.

Transformed a team with zero confidence into a unit with incredible spirit, containing some real talent. 

Just lost his way towards the end. Whether the fault was with the Board/SL/Backroom, particularly over that Summer’s transfer chaos, or his own bloody mindedness/ego, I’ve no idea. 

Will always be a hero in my mind. Think the reception he got at that Brum match demonstrated how thankful the majority of our fan base were for his efforts.

Thanks Steve, you bought the pride back to the City. 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well, I agree with that. Everything I've heard suggests LJ was lined up at least 1 or 2 months before SC eventually got the boot. 

We at Senior Reds knew that SC was going to be sacked. SL was our Xmas speaker and pretty much gave the game away.

SL clearly preferred LJ, which is his prerogative as owner. What Cotts says about members of his squad now playing at Champ level or above is right and it must’ve been so frustrating not to be backed financially nor his judgement on players trusted in that first season up. I like what LJ is doing at the club but if Cotts has more time and the backing LJ has had we’d be exactly where we are or better imo. The Cotts season, GJ promo season and 89-90 my favourites as a City fan so will always be grateful to Cotts.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

You’re probably right JD.

Cotterell was out of his depth in the Championship but it doesn’t really matter now, water under the bridge and all that.

What I don’t understand is the SC love in on here...........:dunno:

He wasn’t out of his depth in the Champ, he’d had decent stints at several Champ clubs prior to arriving at City.  He was at Burnley and part of the evolution that ultimately got them to Prem.  He did poorly as City Manager results-wise in the champ, but don’t tar his time before...that’s insulting!.  He worked small miracles at some basket case clubs (Portsmouth and Forest).  And Redknapp has gone on record saying Cotts’ champ knowledge helped him keep Brum up when he made him his assistant.

E853EB92-0300-45E0-8D16-27EF2FD18541.thumb.jpeg.90ddd142bd3cf9e46303a39dd6a1c4d9.jpeg

Portsmouth were in serious money problems, as we see from their current place in the hierarchy.

Forest were in serious money problems following the death of the owner (the man who brought Cotts in).

The love-In was because he turned us around, won two trophies in double quick time.  He may have abandoned the strategy for a tactical 18 months, but LJ will be grateful to have taken over a team in the Champ....and whether you like the fella or not, he deserves more gratitude than you are giving him.  He funded the 14/15 recruitment with the sale of Baldock and kept the wage bill down by running a small squad....meeting the sustainability of the League One FFP equivalent, with a reduced stadium capacity, and the best attacking football we’ve seen for a long while.

I’d ask why you seem to have no liking for the guy?

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He did...lost 0-4 at Derby.

Just saw the goals. Really really bad. It says on google 352, but if it was 4 then Cotts should have stuck with with 4. He played Agard and Freeman up top in that game!?

We changed to Pembo and they looked well up for it from then on, and then when LJ came in of course he carried that on. 

6 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

SL clearly preferred LJ, which is his prerogative as owner. What Cotts says about members of his squad now playing at Champ level or above is right and it must’ve been so frustrating not to be backed financially nor his judgement on players trusted in that first season up. I like what LJ is doing at the club but if Cotts has more time and the backing LJ has had we’d be exactly where we are or better imo. The Cotts season, GJ promo season and 89-90 my favourites as a City fan so will always be grateful to Cotts.

Interesting, SL got his way though, because the rest of the board and MA wanted Appleton!

1 hour ago, One Team said:

Yes that’s fair it’s just I don’t feel the same way about LJ achieving that as I do Danny Wilson winning the LDV.

I get the gap in quality and relativity of the achievements, just pondering whether it’s those big moments, sense of achievement or a big day out that does it. 

Or nostalgia?

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Just saw the goals. Really really bad. It says on google 352, but if it was 4 then Cotts should have stuck with with 4. He played Agard and Freeman up top in that game!?

We changed to Pembo and they looked well up for it from then on, and then when LJ came in of course he carried that on. 

It was definitely a 4....there was a huge fuss about his continuation with 532, so when he went to a back 4 v Derby, all the know-it-all’s said pre-game, that finally we’d see it was all about formation.....and we lost 4-0.  Check out Transfermarkt.

The next time we tried it was Pembo v Boro.

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You’re probably right JD.

Cotterell was out of his depth in the Championship but it doesn’t really matter now, water under the bridge and all that.

What I don’t understand is the SC love in on here...........:dunno:

I like Cotts, but more of an LJ fan myself. Well he is our current head coach!

I just thought Cotts could not set us up at all defensively. It was like watching Benny Lennartsson back in charge with how much space teams had to attack us.

One thing from that season was Pack was so bad imo. As soon as LJ came in Pack became almost like a new player. 

Genuinely had reasonably high hopes for us that season.

99 points, high 90s goal wise- plus the 2nd trophy.

A talented, young and exciting side. I hoped we would adequately keep what we had (Tavernier or a good replacement, Cunningham and replace Elliott) and add a little more depth and extra quality on top- so Baker, Kodjia and yes if at all possible, the Maguire plus one of Gayle or Gray deals though- even without the real icing on cake of one of those though...

2017/18 Sheff Utd vs 2015/16 Bristol City- was there a vast amount of difference in quality player for player? System was quite similar for a start! The way we had hit the buffers was certainly unexpected. Not saying we should've gone straight up but at the same time the way we shipped goals...

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He wasn’t out of his depth in the Champ,

I’d ask why you seem to have no liking for the guy?

I’ll rephrase it then - SC was out of his depth at City......His management style was largely based on using experienced players and I’m not blaming him or any manager for that but when he was appointed at City SL explained his development strategy and SC bought in to it - even tho he had a poor record of introducing inexperienced players at other clubs.

To me he was a disciple to ‘buying success’  and should not have bought i to SLs strategy and was his failure to do that that cost him his job.

My view of SC is meh...........:dunno: Sure he got us out of L1 and won us the MM cup but other managers had done pretty much the same thing and you don’t see many love ins on here about other City managers.

Cotterill was no great shakes in my view and I think LJ will prove to be far more successful manager than SC will ever be.

not wishing to denigrate his name, but their have been suggestions by someone on one of the city FB pages that Cotts wasn't exactly being entirely honest in his transfer dealings - reading between the lines, he was pocketing cash. The poster made this sound like reasonably common knowledge to those within the club. First I've ever heard of this!? Anyone clued in who can shed light on this?

18 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

not wishing to denigrate his name, but their have been suggestions by someone on one of the city FB pages that Cotts wasn't exactly being entirely honest in his transfer dealings - reading between the lines, he was pocketing cash. The poster made this sound like reasonably common knowledge to those within the club. First I've ever heard of this!? Anyone clued in who can shed light on this?

Are you getting confused with Gary Rowett or Gary Monk? I get mixed up with those two!

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Are you getting confused with Gary Rowett or Gary Monk? I get mixed up with those two!

have just seen that the posts alleging misbehaviour on SC's behalf have been deleted with the admin calling them totally baseless allegations. Personally I was quite surprised to read them and am suspecting people fanning rumour for the sake of rumour. Have never heard his integrity called into question before. 

4 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Did a good job, undoubtedly. But are some forgetting not filling the bench, even if only to give a youngster the experience of a match day, just to make a point. The club, the owner wanted to go in a certain direction & by all accounts, SC didn’t. Wish him all the best. But I think the route we are on is the correct one. COYR

Not filling the bench to prove a point is the one thing that will always rankle with me. Even if he had no plans to actually put a youngster on the pitch the experience wouldve been invaluable to them. 

Other than that, he did a fantastic job for us.

If I ever meet Steve cotterill I will shake him by the hand and thank him very very much for what he did for our club.

We did the lower league double-top man/ top team BUT

I would also say he was a stubborn fool for not changing his style of play in that championship season and we were going down if he had stayed in charge.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It would be fascinating to see how we’d have done had Cotterill been able to bring in Maguire/Gayle/Grey.

He clearly had an eye for a player as all three of those have done well. 

I don’t believe he’s the type of manager the board of the ‘modern’ Bristol City want. They want someone amicable who is easy to work with in the current structure. Someone who’s progressive and will occasionally get us good coverage in the national press. Johnson epitomises that.

Cotterill was old school and I imagine wasn't always easy to work with - that’s no criticism, to function in such a competitive industry you need to disagree internally. I’m sure LJ does too when appropriate, but I’m guessing is more tactful and diplomatic.

I really enjoyed watching the 14/15 side - just a shame it worked out how it did.

In Jon Lansdown's interview with OSIB, I seem to remember him suggesting that he found the recruitment process around that time frustrating because they were being asked to go for players they knew they had no hope of getting. Maybe @Shtanley can confirm my memory for me. It does make it sound like SC was behaving like a kid a sweetshop, especially when he started to leave places empty on the bench rather than give any youngsters some experience. To my mind that was just a grown man sulking and basically forced SL to make a decision about his role.

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ll rephrase it then - SC was out of his depth at City......His management style was largely based on using experienced players and I’m not blaming him or any manager for that but when he was appointed at City SL explained his development strategy and SC bought in to it - even tho he had a poor record of introducing inexperienced players at other clubs.

that is absolute bollocks and you know it....because you will have no knowledge of his time at other clubs.  You only read the BC OS, so how can you possibly know about his previous stuff?

Burnley - Chris McCann, Kyle Kafferty etc, brought through in his time there.  Took a 19 year old Gary Cahill on loan from Villa, etc.

Stoke - Karl Henry (who he’d taken on loan at Cheltenham previously)

Portsmouth - Joel Ward, Matt Ritchie, Marlon Pack (!!!), Ryan Williams, etc

Forest - Greg Cunningham (loan from Man City), Patrick Bamford

To me he was a disciple to ‘buying success’  and should not have bought i to SLs strategy and was his failure to do that that cost him his job.

He never had any money anywhere...Portsmouth and Forest were under embargo, Burnley were a selling club.  He funded City’s recruitment as I’ve posted elsewhere.  We didn’t make a £25m loss under SC ?.  He bought In experienced players because they were free / cheap, and made do with them.

My view of SC is meh...........:dunno: Sure he got us out of L1 and won us the MM cup but other managers had done pretty much the same thing and you don’t see many love ins on here about other City managers.

within 18 months of assembling a team funded sustainably??  No-one has done that....not at City.

Cotterill was no great shakes in my view and I think LJ will prove to be far more successful manager than SC will ever be.

LJ may well be, but no need to be disrespectful of Cotts time here.  

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It’s all in my post above.

No it’s not!

Show me where SC had regularly used inexperienced (young) players at any of his previous clubs.

SC was/is in the same camp as Hansen ‘you’ll never win anything with youngsters’

Archived