IGNORED

The Stephen Fulcher case

PHILINFRANCE

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am still struggling to get 'When they see us'.

Goodness, that is distressing.

Also worth watching the Oprah show after finishing that series - think it came up automatically on Netflix after the series finished. Absolutely shocking.

On 01/10/2019 at 13:06, BobBobSuperBob said:

Following our debate , and now having watched the dramatisation , and the series of events 

Any thoughts @PHILINFRANCE .?

@Fordy62 ?

(Thought it was well made)

@Bob Bob Super Bob

Ultimately PACE is a guideline, and not a law.

You can breach the guidelines on PACE, whether it is Code C(interviews) or Code D (id evidence) whatever; as long as you demonstrate to the court your rationale for doing so, ie honest held believe you were doing the right thing.it is then up to the judge to decide the matter.

As someone who has done urgent interviews, I can honestly say that what fulcher did was from my viewpoint honest, but ultimately non evidential as Becky was already dead, and provisions for an urgent interview wouldn't apply; and he would have known that.

Regardless of how the court cases played out; Wiltshire Police going after him in the way they did was in my eyes reprehensible. It was all to do with Becky's father making a complaint. That didn't happen until much later, after the court case, when it didn't go the way he wanted.

If the first court had convicted halliwell of Becky's murder, there would have been no complaint, and no disciplinary procedures. 

A real shame, as like @Fordy62 says, he was not dishonest; and just tryiny to do the morally honest thing to do.

@Bob Bob Super Bob @Fordy62

With all that said.

Wiltshire Police didn't suspend him until after he gave a private briefing to the Press; and went behind their backs.

The senior officer team would have felt compromised by his actions; and thrown the book at him.

I think at that stage any support for him from the leadership team would have gone. Hence the gross misconduct charge also included that aspect of the case.

The DCC who had previously supported him in court, could see he's been a bit of a cock about it all.

25 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

@Bob Bob Super Bob

Ultimately PACE is a guideline, and not a law.

You can breach the guidelines on PACE, whether it is Code C(interviews) or Code D (id evidence) whatever; as long as you demonstrate to the court your rationale for doing so, ie honest held believe you were doing the right thing.it is then up to the judge to decide the matter.

As someone who has done urgent interviews, I can honestly say that what fulcher did was from my viewpoint honest, but ultimately non evidential as Becky was already dead, and provisions for an urgent interview wouldn't apply; and he would have known that.

Regardless of how the court cases played out; Wiltshire Police going after him in the way they did was in my eyes reprehensible. It was all to do with Becky's father making a complaint. That didn't happen until much later, after the court case, when it didn't go the way he wanted.

If the first court had convicted halliwell of Becky's murder, there would have been no complaint, and no disciplinary procedures. 

A real shame, as like @Fordy62 says, he was not dishonest; and just tryiny to do the morally honest thing to do.

Good post 

Think you may find Ego played a part 

Was never going to get that past any judge and some of his behaviour and actions both bizarre and unprofessional 

• Admin

I've watched the first five episodes of the series and have found it very compelling to watch

Fair play to Joe Absolom and Martin Freeman, they have acted their parts brilliantly

I notice after this Mondays final episode there is a documentary on at 10:45pm that will show all the news reports etc in timeline as it happened

• Admin
1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, whilst I was obviously aware the series was about to be broadcast, I was out of the country for the first few episodes and am now waiting (hoping) for it to be shown on Netflix as I didn't want to start watching it half way through.

All episodes are available on ITV player

Watched the first few episodes but then stopped as it was too frustrating.

I know rules are rules, but the second confession was hardly beaten out of the murderer, and the fact there were so many witnesses to that should surely count?

The fact someone confessed to a second murder and takes you to the place they buried the body should be enough to convicted, regardless of anything else.

Archived